i'm getting tired of running my beloved taylors and ovations thru my marshall jvm410c amp. i'm looking for a dedicated acoustic amp. the marshall's great for my electric stuff( neighbor hates it but who cares... he dresses like capt jack sparrow and spray paints his dog purple... go figure) i saw the behringer 450 and 900. i'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with them or if they can direct me to another good acoustic only amp.
that looks like a decent one. a little small for me, i'm stuck with that marine mentallity... never bring a knife....etc.... i tend to get more than necessary..... just in case. its just for around the house( it'll be a few decades before im good enough to gig out).
OK then ,"semper clarisonus"..........
Last edited by Captaincranky at Nov 26, 2011,
lol cranky. i do like the peavey. might go in that line. i know next to nothing about acoustic amps and was hoping some others here would have some insightful hints for me. ( latin too... you never fail to surprise me cranky) i saw a few behringers on ebay and MF. acx1800 going in a few days. might bid on it, was hoping for experience to guide me beforehand though. oh... clarisonus... took me a few but i got it.
I use a Behringer to gig with its fine for me, however its quite heavy and im not getting any younger.
Also check out AER these are in my humble opinion tops. Compact offering 2 channels and light as.
Cheers.
OK, here's the Berhinger acoustic amp line up at Musician's Friend: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/search/search.jsp?sB=r&question=acoustic+amp#fT=2010:Behringer&gP=1&pS=20&v=g&sB=r&lP=s&question=acoustic%20amp

Keep in mind, even the largest of these amps has only two 8" dual cone speakers.

That would make it somewhat difficult to utilize the amp's full power. I'm guessing there is the provision for an add on cabinet.

Quote by tuxs

Also check out AER these are in my humble opinion tops. Compact offering 2 channels and light as.
Cheers.
Don't you agree they should be "tops", since they're approaching 10 times the price of the Berhingers?

Lowest priced AER. $900.00. highest price, $3300.00. They really better be good.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Nov 28, 2011,
i use a small berhinger keyboard amp for my electronic drums - works great, sounds pretty good with my basses and guitars, too.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
someone else suggested genz benz. having been out of music for 20 yrs, i've never heard of them but they get good reviews from what i've read so far.
Well Cranky you get what you pay for. I dont give a sh**t what things cost anymore i'm to old.
Anyways if i want to utilize full power i simply plug into my marshall and go block your ears. Cheers
Quote by tuxs
Well Cranky you get what you pay for. I dont give a sh**t what things cost anymore i'm to old.
I was under the impression that this thread wasn't about you. So, a more appropriate response might be, "well Cranky, I don't give a sh*t how much someone else pays for things".

While it is true that an amplifier costing 10X as much might be "better", it won't be 10X better, for a number of business reasons.

In any event, if the Berhinger's too heavy to carry, and money is no object, have I got an amp for you: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/aer-acousticube-3-guitar-combo-amp Plus, it's only 27 pounds!

Plan "B", would involve hiring a stagehand to carry the Berhinger. Both workable solutions, I assure you.
Quote by tuxs
Anyways if i want to utilize full power i simply plug into my marshall and go block your ears. Cheers
Still like to feel the wind in our hair, do we?

Save your hearing, use this Marshall...http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/marshall-mg2fx-2w-guitar-combo-amp

Quote by stepchildusmc
i i saw the behringer 450 and 900. i'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with them or if they can direct me to another good acoustic only amp.
Here's a thread at UG about Berhinger amps:https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=612889&highlight=berhinger+amps

As you will quickly see, everyone is blessed with absolute knowledge, and a reinforcing opinion of equal stature. I suspect that solid state amps are better than tube amps for acoustic guitar, since they're cleaner, (in general). Hence, you're listening to the guitar, not the sound of the amp. I suspect when you get quotes like this, "worst sounding amp I've ever heard", it's because you're not hearing the amp as much as the poster would like. In any event, they're not a high dollar gamble, and the only "legitimate" complaint I've encountered in this thread, is basically, they're too heavy for old people.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Dec 1, 2011,
nice link cranky...might be a little too big for me ! cant afford my own roadie, weight is not a problem. i am looking at a roland ac-60 amp.small, lightweight... good reviews( stinks living so far away from a good music shop). and it'll still scare the purple offa that annoying little terrier next door. as always your insight has been most helpful( and entertaining).
I don't know if you moved on an acoustic amp yet, but Musician's friend, (allegedly), dropped the price on the Berhinger ACX450: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/behringer-ultracoustic-acx450-acoustic-guitar-amplifier/480306000000000 (45 watts Single 8" speaker).

The bigger ACX900, (90 watt 2 8" spkrs) http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/behringer-ultracoustic-acx900-acoustic-guitar-amplifier is $271.00 (or so)

Anyway they're having a 13% off for Friday 13th sale, which would get you the smaller amp for about a buck eighty nine (today only, 1-13-'12)
stepchildusmc:
Alternatelyt; I picked up anAcoustic B50 amp last year at GCfor the on-sale price of $129, IIRC. While a bass amp, I tried thew sound out right next to the "guitar" 60 w unit and found the sound on the bass amp better.

Way more power than I'll ever need around the house; but the dual -mode inputs (1/4"/XLR and two channels works) right nice. Sounds perfectly clean at low volume . Nice angled face and weight is reasonable..even for an OF like me

best,
D10
thanks cranky, but i picked up the Roland AC60. it seems to fit my needs(plugs in... has power..sounds like crap...oh yeah, crap in - crap out. I can find all the gear i want on the 'net, but nobody sells talent).
Quote by stepchildusmc
thanks cranky, but i picked up the Roland AC60. it seems to fit my needs(plugs in... has power..sounds like crap...oh yeah, crap in - crap out. I can find all the gear i want on the 'net, but nobody sells talent).
Relax, the "garbage in / garbage out" paradigm, basically only is in "play", with computers.

In the musical arena, it's not garbage out, at worst it might be classified as, "inaccessible to some out". Sun Ra was inaccessible to most, and yet he still managed a career in music.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jan 14, 2012,