My group is playing a gig outside in 2 weeks. As I live in Canadaland, I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to prevent our fingers from seizing up in the cold.

<3
You could always get those disposable hand warmers that produce heat when you open the package. They get pretty hot and last a few hours, and can easily fit in your pockets so you can take them out between songs to warm up your hands.
Quote by zincabopataurio
You could always get those disposable hand warmers that produce heat when you open the package. They get pretty hot and last a few hours, and can easily fit in your pockets so you can take them out between songs to warm up your hands.

That's what I was kinda thinking. I used the ref hockey games and I used them then haha. The only think I was worried about is: won the sudden loss of heat source make your fingers stiffer? :s

@BurningTurkey: It's this big winter festival here... we be headlining
Quote by BurningTurkey
Handwarmers? who would do an outside show in canada this time o year?

it's actually not that cold in my area, snow isn't even staying on the ground yet. live in quebec. been a weird winter, not that im complaining, could probably still wear a t-shirt right now.
Quote by menotbug
it's actually not that cold in my area, snow isn't even staying on the ground yet. live in quebec. been a weird winter, not that im complaining, could probably still wear a t-shirt right now.

There is no snow here right now either. But it's dipped below 30 (or below 0... depending which system you use). It's 55 outside right now, though! Hope it's like this when we play haha.
Quote by scguitarking927
if it's a real festival I'm really surprised they don't have on stage heaters.

They have some on the ceiling of the stage... but that's like 20, 25 feet in the air

How well do those suckers work? I can't see them keeping my fingers warm especially if there is wind.
Quote by HotspurJr
That's gotta wreck havok on your tuning, too ...

Awe gee I didn't even think of that...
Find out what the heating situation on stage will be. Then let your guitars adjust to that temperature before you tune them. eg, don't tune them up in a heated dressing room then walk out onto a cold stage.
Quote by Mystic_Muffin
They have some on the ceiling of the stage... but that's like 20, 25 feet in the air

How well do those suckers work? I can't see them keeping my fingers warm especially if there is wind.

Well enough, between that and lights, it'd be maybe 45-55 degrees on stage (depending on how many heaters and how many lights), which isn't warm by any means, but it's not freezing. Like the others said though, make sure you tune in the cold, and check tuning again before you start.

And if it's any normal type of stage, the stage will block wind, unless your just unfortunate enough for it to be coming head on lol.
I'm a street performer in the Boston area so I have a bit of experience with this sort of thing :P

My setup for colder performances is typically a fingerless glove (I just cut the fingers off a nice warm, lightweight sports glove) on the fretboard hand and a full glove on the other hand (one with good grip and very thin, so I can hold onto the pick easily). I keep handwarmers in my pockets, and try whenever possible to stay out of windy areas. I also try and keep my fretboard hand moving at all times because it seems to tend to seize up whenever I slow down. Therefore, I try and play more fluid parts, fewer cowboy chords, and when I have to play repeated chords I try and change the fingering as frequently as possible. Also, wearing a hat to keep the ears warm is always good

Good luck!