Hi guys

So, I have an awful red Yamaha RBX170 bass, it's NOT modified in any way, and my amp is a standard Fender Rumble 20v amp.

I was wondering how you can get a 'clinky' bass tone? You can't do much with a standard amp...
It's hard to describe, but when I fingerpick, it sounds super quiet and really muffled.

I was wondering how you can get a sound like these videos below? What do I need, to get this tone? Thanks ^_^

And by 'need', I mean what sort of amp or setting do I need? I don't want to buy a new bass/string set. If this tone isn't possible to get with my current stuff, then please let me know

Phobophile - Cryptopsy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXiWAysU1bk&feature=related

mutant christ -Cryptopsy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi3mCzmU8MY&feature=related
Last edited by Spirute at Nov 26, 2011,
Lower your action, tune down, and pick really hard. I find that it helps if you pick right below the neck also.
Last edited by PeeInMyAss at Nov 26, 2011,
hit the strings very hard

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Well, there is much more to it than just hitting the strings hard. It is also about your EQ section. Be sure to boost the mids and a bit of treble, not much bass. Also new strings will help to get that cracking from plucking the strings. If you got a 'tone' knob or something on your bass, turn it up.

When you invest more into your bass gear you should buy the 'Tech21 Bass Driver DI'. The drive you get from that little beast, is not a normal overdrive, it's also boosting the mid and higher frequencies so you get that crippling death metal bass tone.
I know you're looking for suggestions on amps/settings, but in my experience the #1 thing you should do to get that tone is lower your action. This will put your strings nearer the frets so that they "clink" on the attack. You probably want your action (measured at the 12th fret) to be about 3/32" on the bass and treble sides, plus or minus 1/32" depending on your attack and the buzziness of the fretboard. Hopefully your RBX goes low enough w/o buzzing, cheaper basses' fretboards are usually not as level as they should be.

Quote by DeathMetal616
Well, there is much more to it than just hitting the strings hard. It is also about your EQ section. Be sure to boost the mids and a bit of treble, not much bass. Also new strings will help to get that cracking from plucking the strings. If you got a 'tone' knob or something on your bass, turn it up.

When you invest more into your bass gear you should buy the 'Tech21 Bass Driver DI'.

+1!

There is definitely more to it than hitting the strings hard...in fact, if your bass is set up right, you will not have to hit them hard at all, more of a tap than a dig-in type attack. Notice how the guy in the videos kind of "slaps" the strings with his fingers. He's not really hitting them hard, instead he's allowing his fingers to slide past them with a little velocity, just enough to make the frets "clink" against the strings.

Agreed on the EQ. It does seem like the guy in the vid is tuned down a bit, you might add a little bass to DeathMetal's suggestions just to emulate the vid guy's tone a little better.

Another huge +1 on the strings and active DI suggestions too.

Also helps to turn your amp up a little higher than usual.

Attacking closer to the fretboard will also help, the strings will bounce off the frets a little easier.

Getting good tone like the vid guy can take a while, don't be surprised if you are unhappy with your tone emulation at first, you will get there if you practice!
Low action, boost mods and treble. Works for me if I'm trying for the Fieldy tone.
Lol. I'm going to assume "mods" was meant to be "mids". And you actually BOOST your mids for a Fieldy tone? The guy's motto is something along the lines of "Take that mid-range and fuck that shit right off".
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
Lol. I'm going to assume "mods" was meant to be "mids". And you actually BOOST your mids for a Fieldy tone? The guy's motto is something along the lines of "Take that mid-range and fuck that shit right off".

Sorry about the typo. I said it works for me for what I got.
drop the action to no more than a millimeter or so, use 105s in drop C, and pluck as hard as you possibly can
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E