So let's say there's a situation like this,
[eigth notes)

F rest F# rest G rest A rest ||

Would you..

A) F ..place ur palm on and off the bridge quickly.. F#...etc

b) F ..lift your fretting hand till the sound stops and press back down immediately with F#..etc

Cause all I've been doing is A. I was wondering on what situation does each one get used? And is there a difference in the overall tone?
Depends on your set up.
For me, using a high gain set up, I'd mute with both hands. Palm mute with the right, and lay my fingers across the strings with the left.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Both. My picking hand is too close to the bridge to mute it fully quickly enough, and my fretting hand may hit unwanted harmonics. Hence, both.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Quote by Dayn
Both. My picking hand is too close to the bridge to mute it fully quickly enough, and my fretting hand may hit unwanted harmonics. Hence, both.

This.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
I'm Spartacus!

I mean... both.

<_<

>_>
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Both.

Is it just me or is that word starting to sound really weird?
Last edited by phayzze at Nov 27, 2011,
I usually use left hand when I'm doing a really gallopy fast picking pattern when I don't have time to constantly move my right hand on/off the strings.
immonen42 6 year old thread dude, TS hasn't even been online in about 4 years.  Please.

*closing*
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.