Okay, I know this is extremely pedantic - but, I'm busy writing an ear-training program, to help students learn the different intervals by ear. The program will play a sound and they will have to choose the interval. Simple enough, right? Here is my reference for the intervals: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interval_%28music%29#Main_intervals I know the Augmented Fourth/Diminished Fifth are the same thing, and what I'll probably do is just give that option both names. What I want to know is whether or not I've missed something and there is some arcane reason to call the interval an aug4 as opposed to a dim5, or the other way round? (Rather safe than sorry :P)
I'm pretty shitty at theory but I guess my reason is if it sounds like there should be a fourth there, call it an aug4 but if it sounds like there should be a fifth, call it a dim5?
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Im also rubbish at theory, but isnt what you call it related to the note you play before it?
Like if the aug4/dim5 is higher tone than the one before it, its called a dim5?
Typing this, i realise i actually have no idea
No endeavour rivals science in its incremental progress towards a more complete understanding of the observable universe.
The only reason it's called one or the other is based on the notes involved. For example, if you had C and F# you'd call it an augmented fourth, and you'd call C and Gb a diminished fifth. They'd sound exactly the same, so the only factor of influence here is the note names.
Depends on context.

E.g. The C Lydian Mode

C D E F# G A B

The fifth is perfect [G], but the fourth is augmented [F#]

Here's the C Locrian Mode

C Db Eb F Gb Ab Bb

The fifth here is diminshed and is not an augmented fourth. This is because there already is a fourth, which is the F [perfect 4th].
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
I think DiminishedFifth should answer the OP... he'll probably be biased.
Last edited by mdc at Nov 26, 2011,
Quote by :-D
No reason whatsoever to bring modes into this.

I just needed an example.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

Woffez actually had a good answer. It can depend on the context of the other intervals and scale degrees you're working with, doesn't even necessarily have to do with notation. If there already is a regular 4th (such as the case with locrian), it's a b5. If there isn't, or if there already is a regular 5th, it's a #4 (such as the case with lydian).

If we didn't refer to intervals this way, describing something like Lydian would be confusing or unecessarily repetitive: both a 5th and a b5? Nah, it's a #4 because of the intervalic context (there already is a 5th and it's the 4th scale degree), regardless of notation.
Last edited by Brainpolice2 at Nov 26, 2011,
Alternatively: if it's a fourth it's a fourth and if it's a fifth it's a fifth. I.e., any G to D is always a fifth, so G#-D is a diminished fifth, however any A to D is always a fourth, so A#-D is an augmented fourth. There's or real need to apply this to scales at all, it's purely intervallic.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Alternatively: if it's a fourth it's a fourth and if it's a fifth it's a fifth. I.e., any G to D is always a fifth, so G#-D is a diminished fifth, however any A to D is always a fourth, so A#-D is an augmented fourth. There's or real need to apply this to scales at all, it's purely intervallic.

A# - D is minor 3rd.

How often does one use A# instead of Bb anyway?
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

Quote by Woffelz
A# - D is minor 3rd.

How often does one use A# instead of Bb anyway?

A# - D is a diminished fourth

Bb - D is a major third

A#s are everywhere bro.
Just call it a tritone. Semantics are a hot-button issue around here when it comes to enharmonic frequencies.

If that's not an option, just use both.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Last edited by Hail at Nov 26, 2011,
Quote by Hail
Just call it a tritone.

Sadly, even that doesn't necessarily encompass both intervals.
Last edited by Dodeka at Nov 26, 2011,
Here's a simple rule of thumb:

Augmented 4ths expand
F, B -> E, C

Diminished 5ths contract
D#, A -> E, G

Also notice that the letter difference between F up to B is a 4th. The letter difference between a D up to A is a 5th. That doesn't do anything if you're doing ear training but it's a sure indication of one or the other when looking at the score.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Nov 26, 2011,
Quote by Xiaoxi
Here's a simple rule of thumb:

Augmented 4ths expand
F, B -> E, C

Diminished 5ths contract
D#, A -> E, G

Also notice that the letter difference between F up to B is a 4th. The letter difference between a D up to A is a 5th. That doesn't do anything if you're doing ear training but it's a sure indication of one or the other when looking at the score.

Since no-one has acknowledged this post, I will instead.

The tritones that resolve are labelled enharmonically in perfect cadences in major and minor respectively.