If its a 25.5'' scale, just about. It would still be too fubby for my taste. If its 24.75'', no chance. The low A will refuse to stay in tune no matter what you do. If its 26.5 or 27, then it will be perfect. For drop A i wouldnt recommend anything less than 13's.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Nov 26, 2011,
24.75", no chance as GS LEAD 5 stated. I use 12-54s for my Les Paul in D standard/drop C
For 24.75", I'd probably go for something like 13-58/60. For 25.5, 12s could do it but I'd still prefer 13s. However, if you've got a baritone or something of longer scale than 26.5, then 12s will do.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

That'd bee too floppy for my taste if you're talking about a regular 12-52 set. Like others have said, with a long scale it might be okay, but on a Les Paul or something like that, probably not.

You might want to look into a .12-baritone set, Elixir makes a 12-68 that seems interesting. Otherwise, a .13-set is probably a better bet.
^ 68 is maybe a bit too much. I use a set of 14's on my H-51, it can go all the way down to G standard without losing tension. It feels less like a guitar and more like some sort of frankenstein bass, the string is so friggin thick.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
^ 68 is maybe a bit too much. I use a set of 14's on my H-51, it can go all the way down to G standard without losing tension. It feels less like a guitar and more like some sort of frankenstein bass, the string is so friggin thick.

I use 12-70 on a 26.5" 7-string for D# standard, and the 70 works well down to A. When I had one of my 25.5" 6-string guitars tuned to a B-variant, I was using 12-54 and the 54 was very sloppy but just barely playable.

I use a .60 on my LP in drop C, so I figured a .68 for A would be okay. It would feel weird though, no question.

One could just get a set for 7-string guitars like this one:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/daddario_exl110-7_strings.htm
and just use everything except for the thinnest string, effectively ending up with a 13-59 set. That'd mean that you'd have a wound g though, like with most baritone-sets.
I used the Elixer 12-68 set on my Agile AL-3100 (24.75" scale) and had it tuned to B standard. I'm not going to do that again. The top strings were almost unplayably loose and the bottom ones were barely better. If you have a 25.5" scale guitar, you could do it.
Quote by CV334
I use 12-70 on a 26.5" 7-string for D# standard, and the 70 works well down to A. When I had one of my 25.5" 6-string guitars tuned to a B-variant, I was using 12-54 and the 54 was very sloppy but just barely playable.

Wait. Let me get this straight. The .70 on your guitar is a D#? On a 26'' scale?
What is the neck made of, adamantium? And do you have bears hands?

Or do you mean D# as in lower than bass tuning D#?

Quote by TheQuailman

I use a .60 on my LP in drop C, so I figured a .68 for A would be okay. It would feel weird though, no question.

One could just get a set for 7-string guitars like this one:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/daddario_exl110-7_strings.htm
and just use everything except for the thinnest string, effectively ending up with a 13-59 set. That'd mean that you'd have a wound g though, like with most baritone-sets.

Might be because LP's have a 24.75 scale- my H has a 25.5, so it feels a bit like overkill- a friend has a locally made LP copy with a 24.75 scale, 12's feel very floppy for B standard. TS still needs to say what scale he has.....
Quote by GS LEAD 5
If its a 25.5'' scale, just about. It would still be too fubby for my taste. If its 24.75'', no chance. The low A will refuse to stay in tune no matter what you do. If its 26.5 or 27, then it will be perfect. For drop A i wouldnt recommend anything less than 13's.

I'm considering getting a seven-string with 26.5 scale, but I'm looking at ways to get six-string timings to work on there, so I can play Drop D, C and B on my six-string and six-string Drop A and all the lower six-string tunings plus the normal seven strings. If 12's are good enough on a 26.5, that works out well, cheers