My left middle finger tip gets absolutely shredded to pieces any time I play for more than 5-10 minutes and I literally cannot play for at least a week. I'm currently on my third go of this. The first time it healed up normally. The second time it healed over kind of with a scar tissue feel to it, hard and rubbery and had a lessened sense of feel. Right now I'm recovering from ripping it again on Thanksgiving. :\ The cut tends to form in a reverse C shape when I point the finger toward myself so I'm looking directly at the tip. It's right around the area where the fingertip begins to curve - about two thirds of it is on the flat of it while the other third is on the curve. It's a very deep cut (relative to what you'd normally get out of a cut) - probably half a centimeter deep.

I've got no idea what to do here... I can't really play with a bandaid on my finger and it seems like this wound just isn't holding up after it reheals. I even gave it a solid week and a half after it was totally healed this time to harden up and it just didn't work.

Any ideas? I have no issues on any of my other fingers btw.
Last edited by Eag1e at Nov 26, 2011,
huh...this is a huge problem for a musician, being unable to practice because of health issue...best advice that anybody could give you is to visit a doctor
I'd agree with the others - you should go to the doctor as the cut you described sounds really abnormally bad just to have come from guitar playing.

However, a few questions as in terms of technique we may be able to offer something from a guitarists perspective that isn't necessarily within a doctor's realm of knowledge (unless they're a guitarist themselves, and even then they'd have to be a guitarist that's put some focus on their technique).

How long have you been playing, and when did your finger first start to do this?
Have you changed anything in either what or how you've been playing recently?
Are you playing really hard and applying a lot of pressure to the strings? You should play with as little pressure as you can (both for your health and your technique)
Acoustic? Electric? What guague strings?

I can't imagine guitar playing causing that much damage to your fingers unless you're using cheesewire instead of strings.

Unfortunately, I think they're likely to tell you not to play for a month or maybe longer until it's completely healed..
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
Last edited by llBlackenedll at Nov 26, 2011,
Quote by llBlackenedll
I'd agree with the others - you should go to the doctor as the cut you described sounds really abnormally deep just to have come from guitar playing.

However, a few questions as in terms of technique we may be able to offer something from a guitarists perspective that isn't necessarily within a doctor's realm of knowledge (unless they're an amazing guitarist).

How long have you been playing, and when did your finger first start to do this?
Have you changed anything in either what or how you've been playing recently?
Are you playing really hard and applying a lot of pressure to the strings? You should play with as little pressure as you can (both for your health and your technique)
Acoustic? Electric? What guague strings?

I can't imagine guitar playing causing that much damage to your fingers unless you're using cheesewire instead of strings.

Unfortunately, I think they're likely to tell you not to play for a month or maybe longer until it's completely healed..

well i cut my fingertipps open over playing on old strings...

was really deep and my skin is still recovering from this...

it can happen but you have to find the reason(old strings in my case)

but if theres no obvious reason go to the doctor!!!
A tip would be to restring your guitar, because old strings cuts your fingers more easily than new ones.
Also, you should consider getting used to using your other fingers more too, since you said it was only your middle finger that had this issue. Don't only do slides with your middle finger for example.
quit masturbating with lotion. That makes your hands feel like a womans hands. soft.
with soft hands your fingers will tear and not get calluses. be a man, Man.
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
quit masturbating with lotion. That makes your hands feel like a womans hands. soft.
with soft hands your fingers will tear and not get calluses. be a man, Man.

+1!!
quit masturbating alltogether, Frank Gambalee once said some guys have some really wide non subtle Vibrato that sounds like they were choking a chicken.. another guitar secret for the masses!! masturbation hurts your vibrato!!

Anyways:
If there are no signs of infections or anomalies you are just not letting it heal, this does not mean you cant practice, take this opportunity to really work hard on your picking, strengthen the pinky and do some theory and aural training
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.