Poll: Are You Able To Read Music?
Poll Options
View poll results: Are You Able To Read Music?
Yes
173 59%
No
65 22%
Learning to do so
53 18%
Voters: 291.
Page 1 of 3
Just wondering. I imagine it could be pretty difficult learning the more technical songs without it.

I can read rhythm fluently, but I haven't spent as much time on learning the notes, but I can. It just takes me a bit longer. I don't really use the notes, I use the rhythm a lot though.

I don't play any other instrument that requires it, my guitar teacher just recommended learning to do it cuz it'll help, and he was very right.

So, can you read music?
Yes
It's necessary to do so for jazz and classical
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
Sort of, but not very well. 'Cuz I'm tryin' to learn keyboard, but that's going very slow.

So I'll vote learning.
I know the notes on the stave but it takes me a while to translate that into something that is useful for me. I think that's because I am more visual (I guess I think of patterns rather than notes).
Ehm, you don't read music. You play music. Duuh.

sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
yeah, for piano, not my bass - but still pretty slowly
not going viral

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer
Yes but not very quickly. I'm more like a 5 year old who is new to reading.
I can read music (as in knowing what different symbols and stuff means), but there's no way in hell I can sight read.
When some stranger on the internet says it is so, it must be so.
Quote by girlgerms007
yeah, for piano, not my bass - but still pretty slowly

Why can you do it for piano and not bass? Surely piano is much more difficult (reading both staves)?

It's so patronizing trying to learn to do it at first. My guitar teacher would give me nursery rhythms that technically, are piss easy to learn. You could learn them in 30 seconds. But trying to play it from music was damn hard. Quite embarrassing really. Especially if you have a crap ear and can't use that to help.
I could read music when I was playing the Trombone, but I stopped and now I completely forgot how to read it.
Thor! Odin's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Your destiny awaits Thor! Hlödyn's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Ragnarök awaits

E-ARCH NEMESIS of girlgerms007
Learned it while I was dabbling in trombone and french horn. Can't seem to get it out of my head.
I can read music, but I can't sight read (play while reading)

I just don't. It was required for me to learn so I understand it, I just dont bother spending a half hour deciphering a riff, and then finding the right octave to play it in - when I can just look at a tab.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
I can read music, but like TS, I find it harder to read notes, but I find reading rhythm a piece of cake.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
I could fluently read already, and this semester I've started taking jazz guitar lessons so I've improved quite a bit on applying what I've learned in my theory classes to the guitar. I just need to commit more time to totally memorizing all the scales over the fretboard and that'll be a big hurdle passed
NOPE
I can read bass and treble clefs but have a hard time converting that to guitar. I can read rhythms well and I could apply the bass clef to my old instrument.

But with guitar theres 6 ways to play the same damn thing its annoying
"[Bleach] is mostly water, and we are mostly water, therefore we are bleach"

I feel we should go to...

Purple Alert
Yes I can, thanks to those torturous piano lessons I was forced to take when I was little.
cat
Only a bit and not well at all...
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
It's extremely difficult for me to read notes (A, B, C, etc) but the rhythmic values are easier. But I can't count for shit...
Quite fluently on piano, but it takes me much longer to play what I read on guitar.
Not sure if a sig is a necessity.
Yeah, I need to for Jazz, and I also teach.
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Does anyone else here use their ear for pitches, but uses sheet music for rhythm when unsure?
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by Woffelz
Does anyone else here use their ear for pitches, but uses sheet music for rhythm when unsure?

I feel like I'm better at listening for rhythm and using sheet music/tabs/whatever for pitches.
Kinda. Well enough to read notes and figure out something slowly, but not well enough to sight read.
I find tabs easier, so I'll just stick to them.

Page 1 of 3