Hello everyone,
So I'm looking to upgrade the stock pickups in my standard strat. I looked at the UG page for pickups but I didn't really find the guidance I was looking for on there.
Ideally, I would want to get tones similar to bands such as Explosions in the sky, Built to Spill, Pavement and Modest Mouse. What pickups would you suggest?

Thanks,
Daniel
Wind your own, you corporate bastard.

Just kidding. Seriously, you're amp is more important.

Don't know about the first several bands you mentioned, but Brock uses custom amps. Sounds kind of Fenderish to me, though. Maybe you need a twin with lots of pedals and high volume.
Quote by jetwash69
Wind your own, you corporate bastard.

Just kidding. Seriously, you're amp is more important.

Don't know about the first several bands you mentioned, but Brock uses custom amps. Sounds kind of Fenderish to me, though. Maybe you need a twin with lots of pedals and high volume.

Brock's amp is a modified Fender Supersix, and his guitar is custom too.

Generally speaking, the tone of these bands comes from the amps which are mostly Fender tube amps being slightly pushed. I know Doug Martsch from Built to Spill plays Fender amps with stock Stratocasters. Brock's guitar has two singles and a TV-Jones style humbucker in the bridge. The pickups don't much matter, I'd just go for single coils with some good articulation.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.