Im fairly new to guitar, I recently saw an ad for Rocksmith, a Xbox 360 game where you plug in an actual guitar to the console. (Think Guitar Hero meets real life) Would this be a good teacher/trainer for me to buy? Appreciate all feedback!
You kids are really lucky to have things like Modeling amps and games like rocksmith that will help out your playing so much.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yes. It will help a lot. BUT, don't rely on it. Make sure you look up and learn proper technique. For example, how to hold the pick, alternate picking ect.
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
proper technique ---> how to hold the pick

Lolwuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut

Edit: There's not really a right or wrong way to hold the pick.
Last edited by FearMyLightning at Nov 26, 2011,
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
how to hold the pick

Actually the game teaches you how to hold a pick... I got the game a couple of weeks ago and I love it, even though the song selection could be better it is still addicting and fun to play. I have been playing for 4 years and my skills have actually improved from the game, also new songs have all ready been released for the game.
Last edited by Darkdevil725 at Nov 26, 2011,
It works well for me. I think it would be hard for complete newbies but I think if you had a little instruction before playing you'd do just fine. I would first learn chords (normal, barre, power), some techniques like slides, hammer-ons, pull-offs, strumming, tab/notation, etc, and you'll do fine.
Instead of asking on here you should go look on some video game websites. Giant Bomb has a really good video of two of their guys playing and reviewing Rocksmith so you can get a really good idea of what it's like to use.

The general consensos is that it's an okay tool for people who already have the basics of guitar down and just want a more structured way to leanr a few new songs but as a teaching tool for beginners it's not good and for experienced players it's useless.
Quote by grohl1987
The general consensus is that it's an okay tool for people who already have the basics of guitar down and just want a more structured way to learn a few new songs but as a teaching tool for beginners it's not good and for experienced players it's useless.

This.

You need to decide which category you fit in
Quote by FearMyLightning
Lolwuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut

Edit: There's not really a right or wrong way to hold the pick.

All the videos I've watched of the game, of people using it who don't play the guitar, they're holding the pick awkwardly which will hinder your playing.

But, I didn't realize the game taught you how to hold the pick.
The game also teaches harmonics, slides, hammer on, pull offs, bends, palm muting, barre chords, transitions etc... Also it also teaches scales and chords not to mention it has a lot of minigames that each make you use a specific technique. Like scale runner is where you play a ninja and you have to play the scale right to make the ninja go fast but if you take too long hitting the next note of the scale your ninja falls into the pit.
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
Yes. It will help a lot. BUT, don't rely on it. Make sure you look up and learn proper technique.

if you're new to guitar this is all you need to know about rocksmith
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Even if Rocksmith ain't the product for more experienced players, you just know (or have to hope) that it paved the way for similar future more advanced type programs with serious features.
Quote by Spud Spudly
Even if Rocksmith ain't the product for more experienced players, you just know (or have to hope) that it paved the way for similar future more advanced type programs with serious features.

This is something I have actually thought about.

I hope that some day there will be a program that can tab out what you play. It would make tabbing songs easier and a lot faster.
Last edited by Darkdevil725 at Nov 28, 2011,
^^^^^^^ agree
GUITARS:
PRS Custom 24 (Black Slate 10 top w/birds)
ESP E-II Horizon NT-III (RDB)
ESP Eclipse II - Snow White

AMPS:
Mesa Rectoverb combo
Quote by Spud Spudly

That’s my hope. Apple went that direction with the Garage Band lessons but abandoned it. My hope is that we can have PC/Mac versions of something like Rocksmith to replace the current mess of DVD/YouTube/tab/backing tracks/slowdowners/etc.
Quote by jpnyc
That’s my hope. Apple went that direction with the Garage Band lessons but abandoned it. My hope is that we can have PC/Mac versions of something like Rocksmith to replace the current mess of DVD/YouTube/tab/backing tracks/slowdowners/etc.

That would be nice. Even if it was console based it would still be nice to have some more serious learning tool that builds on what Rocksmith has hopefully started.
Quote by jpnyc

I thought there is a PC version of RockSmith ??????
GUITARS:

AMPS:
Mesa Rectoverb combo
Kk. PC version releases in May 2012. Just looked into it.
GUITARS:

AMPS:
Mesa Rectoverb combo
If you are a beginner it is great, if you can already play, don't get it.
Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus w/ '60s neck
Ibanez JEM 7V
Jackson SL2H Soloist
PRS Singlecut SE
Marshall JVM410h
Marshall 1960a 4x12
Line 6 Pod x3 Live
Quote by ominous24
If you are a beginner it is great, if you can already play, don't get it.

I think there are quite a few songs that can challenge advanced guitarists. Freebird isn't exactly a walk in the park and they have three Megadeth songs coming in December. That's more challenge than I'll ever need.
I think it's worth mentioning too that Rocksmith can be a fun social game, especially if you want to get your non-guitar playing friends interested in guitar.
Quote by andre09
I think it's worth mentioning too that Rocksmith can be a fun social game, especially if you want to get your non-guitar playing friends interested in guitar.

Agreed.
Quote by andre09
Every single gaming site says quite the opposite, that it's nowhere near the social experience that games like Guitar Hero and Rockband can be. It's a beginner-intermediate teaching tool, not a party game.
Here is one guys that tends to post a lot of videos. He is experienced but seems to love the game. You can see the track and his hands playing at the same time.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=3&sqi=2&ved=0CCwQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2Felisoncruz&ei=WIXXTq24K8vdgQfy-73rDg&usg=AFQjCNGMOiunGZbsEUQ9y01_Sstw_mOijA&sig2=JBT67pACr5gE5g8GLgKHnw
Quote by grohl1987

The general consensos is that it's an okay tool for people who already have the basics of guitar down and just want a more structured way to leanr a few new songs but as a teaching tool for beginners it's not good and for experienced players it's useless.

I've seen plenty of experienced players (20 or more years playing) who have nothing but great things to say about Rocksmith. Hop on any of the other big forums (Guitar and Gaming) and you will find much of this. I have yet to see anything truly bad about Rocksmith except a few people who seem to have specific idea of how someone should learn guitar and Rocksmith isn't a part of their plan.

Rocksmith is a tool. It is also fun. It applies to all ranges of players. The songs and difficulty can and will challenge everyone.

Should it be your only tool? Hell no. That is the first thing players realize. You learn from as many sources as you possibly can. Your bag is endless, and you can throw as many tricks in there as you possibly can.
I agree with Pippers, I check out online lessons and study my chords but Rocksmith isnt just fun as hell to play but it has helped me get over a plateau ive been going through for the past several months. In fact I complained the game was a little too easy in spots, of course then I beat it not realizing it will restart the game at a much harder difficulty now I complain on some songs being too hard lol. Before I played Rocksmith I could not do G Chords. Now I can do them fast and reliably and switch out with open chords though they give me major hand cramps.
Last edited by Darkdevil725 at Dec 1, 2011,
I've had this since Monday and I think it is great. I've played about 5 hours since then.

I've been playing guitar for quite a while and for me this is a great way to get some painless practicing in and have some fun. This seems like an ideal way to burn the fundamental patterns of rock music into your synapses.

I've seen critical views from people who haven't played it but it seems that most that have and have sorted out getting the connections right to avoid latency like it pretty well.

I am definitely in that camp.

I think if you've got an xbox or a ps3 this is kind of a no-brainer (I am assuming everyone reading this already owns a guitar!). Of course it is helpful to have an open mind and to remember that this is not a be all end all practice or learning tool.