Okay, so im in a band called 'State Of September'. We have been doing covers for a while now and are starting to write our own songs. I believe that for a demo/ep 4-6 songs is the norm? Anyway, how would be go about doing this? And what are the normal things for a demo, like should they have a cover or two on?

If Its relevant we are a three piece Punk/Pop-Punk band (Blink 182,Green Day, All Time Low etc..) and are 13-14 years old.

Thanks ! ;D
4 songs, no covers (legal issues) sell it for around 5$. Should be about 15mins in length, it's a demo so poorer quality is acceptable.
demo, 4-6 songs will work. ep...well, if you're punk, 4-6 songs will barely clear the 10 minute mark. pop punk should have a fullish EP though.

for the above, i wouldn't try to sell a demo, particularly if it's poor quality. at most, demos should be for booking gigs and giving to close friends. selling low-quality work can drag your name through the mud a good bit.
modes are a social construct
Last edited by Hail at Nov 26, 2011,
Is it a demo or an EP? You sell EPs. Give demos out for free.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Is it a demo or an EP? You sell EPs. Give demos out for free.

This.

Nobody wants to pay money for rough ideas which is what a demo is.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Demo = 3 songs = putting your best foot forward for securing gigs, promoting the band, etc. Given out for free as "promotional material."

EP = about 5 songs (give or take) and represents a finished product for sale.

The first thing you need to do is to determine the purpose of this recording. I mean, if you're a cover band and your purpose for the demo is to get gigs, you pretty much HAVE to put covers on your demo. If you're an original band and you want people to buy your product, and you want to use it to try to get signed, then having covers on it is generally ill-advised.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.