Hey there. I'm in the market for my first tube amp. I'm looking into getting a half stack (for various reasons so don't ask), for around $2000. I'm obviously not afraid to buy used (The dsl), and can buy new if it's in my budget.

My band plays stuff like All that remains, Testament, etc. so I need an amp that can pull that off without a pedal, but can also pull off nice vintage tones. I chose the DSL 50 because it seems like my kind of amp right now. I've looked at the 6505+ head, but 120 watts seems like just too much right now. I like to play stuff from trivium, to Led zeppelin, Santana, Steve Vai etc.

I'm quite the tone guy. 50 watt breaks up faster and gives me that saturation everyone loves.

So I'm somewhat settled on the DSl 50, BUT I would like recommendations on other versatile 50 watt heads, or 100 watt heads with a some sort of power reduction option. that I can get as a stack for around $2000. I would really appreciate it, and thanks for looking!
Last edited by Wardance77 at Nov 26, 2011,
Don't need a stack.

However, with your budget, sure.

the 6505 may be 120w, but you can't crank the pre-gain so it can get heavy at low volumes easily.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
A 120W head is barely louder than a 50W one. How controllable an amp's volume is and how good it sounds at low volumes depends on the circuit - there's 100Wers that sound great at low levels and can be comfortably dialed in for it, while there's 50Wers that will blow the roof off if you do so much as look at the volume-dial funny. Don't let wattage discourage you, is what I'm saying.
I play in a garage so I can play at a decent volume level. 50 watts break up faster than 100-120w, which is why I chose 50w.
If you like the 6505, maybe a 5150 lll? They just released a 50 Watt head, its a 1000$ brand new, leaves plenty of cash for a great cab
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
If you like the 6505, maybe a 5150 lll? They just released a 50 Watt head, its a 1000$ brand new, leaves plenty of cash for a great cab

and a boost, and a noisegate.

excellent idear
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Blackstar series ones have good power reduction. I tried my friends 100watt head out with my PRS, and it had an awesome sound whichever way you fiddled with it. I don't think it has more gain than the 6505, but it'll give a sound a bit closer to the marshall, but won't have as good a lead tone. Just an addition if its up your street
You're asking for two different things. You aren't going to be able to nail both with a single head. I don't know why you keep mentioning breakup. For stuff like ATR and Trivium, you don't want breakup. Those bands are pure 5150 preamp gain. The other bands you listed don't really use it either, except maybe Led Zep/Santana, but it's definitely not necessary.

This is a slightly off the wall suggestion, but I'm thinking you should look into a Mesa Mark V, or a Mesa Roadster, to get all the variations of tone you're looking for.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
You're asking for two different things. You aren't going to be able to nail both with a single head. I don't know why you keep mentioning breakup. For stuff like ATR and Trivium, you don't want breakup. Those bands are pure 5150 preamp gain. The other bands you listed don't really use it either, except maybe Led Zep/Santana, but it's definitely not necessary.

This is a slightly off the wall suggestion, but I'm thinking you should look into a Mesa Mark V, or a Mesa Roadster, to get all the variations of tone you're looking for.

While I agree that those are both great amps, I think the 5150 lll will hit those sounds very well, the crunch mode will do quite nicely for the classic rock stuff and the lead channel is well, the lead channel of a 5150, only better. I also think that while the gain from the mesas would be adequate, if the metalcore stuff is more important then the voicing is definitely vastly different than what those bands sound like. Again, great amps, just throwing some things out to think about.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
The 5150 iii is sweet. And what I meant by break-up (apologies for the misunderstanding) is that I would be able to get that tube tone from the 50 watt playing at a lower volume as opposed to 100+ watts. I wouldn't be able to drive a 100 watter hard enough to get that tube tone. The volume would be overkill for my house and my neighbors. I understand that I won't NAIL both with a single head; however, I was searching to suggestions of versatile 50 watt amp heads.
Quote by Wardance77
The 5150 iii is sweet. And what I meant by break-up (apologies for the misunderstanding) is that I would be able to get that tube tone from the 50 watt playing at a lower volume as opposed to 100+ watts. I wouldn't be able to drive a 100 watter hard enough to get that tube tone. The volume would be overkill for my house and my neighbors. I understand that I won't NAIL both with a single head; however, I was searching to suggestions of versatile 50 watt amp heads.

As long as it's not at whisper volumes, it's going to sound like a tube amp. That's the point of preamp tubes.

The DSL 50 is pretty ****ing intense when you want it to be. Does old-school metal tones ever so nicely, love using it for death metal bands that want an early era sound. Cleans are quite nice to boot, if you like the british clean sound.
Thanks for all the input d00dz. If you have anymore recommendations for 50 watt heads or 100 watt heads with power reduction, I would greatly appreciate it! But for now I'm pretty set on the DSL 50.
I have to admit that the DSL50 is my favourite Marshall since the 2203. Well, the Vintage Modern is pretty sweet too but the DSL is a fine amp. The DSL was Marshall dumping all the SS crap that the Blackstar boys had started introducing since the 2205 culminating in the abortionary JCM900 4100. It was a return to the roots and is basically a JCM800 2205 done right.
You may want to use some pedals too though.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I have to admit that the DSL50 is my favourite Marshall since the 2203

Tried a JVM? Good times to be had.
Quote by Kikuta
Tried a JVM? Good times to be had.

Ever seen inside one? I'd hate to have to fix one.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Ever seen inside one? I'd hate to have to fix one.

Can't say I have - just how bad are we talking? Might be the explanation to the 8,000dB noise floor.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
At least they aren't using SMD. But still. This is why I prefer my MIDI to be done by external units and not built into the amp itself.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Hmmm I've never thought of the JVM 205h!! I've played the jvm410h at guitar center and I absolutely loved it. Although the distortion wasn't the best for what I play, I wouldn't mind plugging in a Bad Monkey or just use the tube screamer setting on my pod HD. Hmmm now I gotta choose...... jvm 205h vs dsl 50..... Although I've heard some rumors of newer marshalls using cheap transistors and such. I don't want to have issues with the amp.

It seems in a way not so cost effective if I were to drop money into modding the amp to be more reliable. I'd rather buy an amp that I know is already reliable than to have to make one reliable. However I'm not much of an engineer, so I can't necessarily judge the amp based on comments of its components.
Last edited by Wardance77 at Nov 29, 2011,
JCM2000 DSL50:

JCM800 2203. The last real Marshall.

You don't have to be a tech to see what's going on. There's getting to be too much shit inside their amps these days.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Nov 29, 2011,
Cathbard you've been such a great help man! I really appreciate it! I'm trying my best to get as much knowledge as I can about gear and music and stuff. I don't want to appear ignorant too much haha. I'll most likely stick with the dsl50. But in the meantime I'll be on the look out for other stuff. I've taken an interest to Orange and Soldano so I'll check them out too just incase a deal on Craigslist pops outta nowhere.

Thanks again Cathbard! You've really been a help to this teenager!
Don't forget to look for Splawns, especially the Quickrod. They out-Marshall a Marshall. If you can afford one grab it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Second hand 5153.
I just got one. I'm a hypocrite, because I hate people plugging their own gear, but it is a brilliant amp.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.