Seeing as how I live in a shitty small town and there's nobody within a 50 mile radius that plays anything but guitar, I've been thinking about pre-recording my own drums, rhythm, and bass. Then just playing live lead for a couple of gigs.

What would you guys think of this if you saw it? I'm sure it would receive some negative criticism since it's not actually "live", but maybe I could draw out a few straggling musicians from it.
Depending on your style, you might not need to do backing tracks at all; blues, acoustic guitar rock, etc. would sound fine with just guitars and vocals. But if you're going for metal or sometime, pre-recorded tracks are probably your only option. As long as someone's doing something live and the tracks sound good together, it could work. It would probably be better as a temporary solution than as something you intend to be permanent.
You could always try to talk a nearby guitar player into playing bass or rhythm guitar for you, that could help.
The most obvious solution to your problem would be to take up playing the bass or drums yourself. If it's true that there is literally nobody within a fifty mile radius of where you live who plays either, then putting yourself forward as a drummer/bassist would be a pretty solid way to get opportunities to play in bands and get gigs. Of course if you feel strongly about being lead guitarist, or are worried about being pigeonholed as a drummer/bassist, then this isn't the route for you, but maybe something to consider.

Apart from that, it probably wouldn't sound bad if you did it the way you describe, however you have to consider that a large part of the attraction of going to live gigs is the chemistry between the musicians on stage and the dynamic that emerges out of that. Playing along to a backing track forces you into playing things in a pre-determined way, with no room for any on-the-spot embellishments and the changes which make live performances unique experiences worth going to.
I can play a large variety of instruments, but I just want my originals to be heard, as selfish as that sounds. I've received some good opinions on it, yet there seems to be noone interested in being a part of something that hasn't been radio-raped. Dynamics do worry me, but I'm thinking I can give myself a little leeway with it. I just need a temporary way to advertise myself.
Maybe you can do something like Norwegian "one man band"-dude Jarle Bernhoft?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWwUsPvIJao

Learning to use a looping tool efficiently will certainly give you a certain added appeal. Of course, he often has pre-recorded backing tracks too and will just wander on stage between instruments between songs.
Playing with backing tracks is fine, but getting an audience to one of those shows will be tricky.
I'm not sure what music you'd be doing, but, usually the case with backing tracks, is, guitar-based stuff, I mean, Paul Gilbert, Guthrie Govan and the likes do clinics and occasional gigs like that all the time, but they travel and have a fan-base. People wouldn't want to hear that.

If you're doing more "Band" orientated music, you may be able to get a bit of a crowd (though if your town is really as dead as you say it is (usually not the case, I used to think that about my town, you just have to know where to look ) you won't get a crowd no matter what) but the problem with that is, stage presence. You'll have a hard time jumping about to a backing track.

What I'd suggest you do, for now, is showcase your original stuff online, youtube, facebook, soundcloud and the likes, sure it's not as fun as gigging, but it's better than playing to yourself in an empty pub!

The only way the backing track thing can really work for a non-famous person, is if you're doing covers. My guitar teacher gets a large amount of his income from doing gigs, just classic rock sorta stuff around the pub and social club circuit.
be like this guy! he's hugely popular in the brutal death metal genre.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CFA5EqBBDM
Quote by Punk_Ninja

I was like "Shut up woman, Satch is playing"
Quote by Soul Power
Maybe instead of eating you, you and her could eat a drifter. Like, make it one of those things you do together as a couple.
if you do it well, it would be totally fine. I've seen a few bands do stuff like this.
I used to see this one band that had all of their music recorded already and just played it through the amps with an ipod. they were more of a joke band, I guess, but still. I was into it.

also, I've seen a shoegaze group around here whose drums are all on a laptop. people love 'em.
Quote by Pyrotechie
Seeing as how I live in a shitty small town and there's nobody within a 50 mile radius that plays anything but guitar, I've been thinking about pre-recording my own drums, rhythm, and bass. Then just playing live lead for a couple of gigs.

What would you guys think of this if you saw it? I'm sure it would receive some negative criticism since it's not actually "live", but maybe I could draw out a few straggling musicians from it.

Do you know Trent Reznor ?

he does everything himself, then hires musicians whenever he needs them to tour
since you cant hire people, find a keyboard player / synth dude that fires most of the things live through synths or ableton.. (watch what people with a novation pad and ableton can do) pretty sick actually.
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Last edited by Slashiepie at Dec 24, 2011,