My band is looking at getting a good drum recording setup. We need to get mics for hi-hat, 2 overheads, 3 toms and kick drum. I've already got an SM57 so the snare is sorted. I'm thinking of getting another Rode NT1-A so I can use both the one I have an that as overheads.

I've got 2 stands and about 4 XLR cables. I'll need an 8 input interface. What are some good budget ones around £250? I've got an M-Audio Fast Track Pro and i'm looking at getting a Fast Track Ultra.

With budget i'm not entirely sure. Preferably industry standard but ideally we don't want to spend more than £500 on the mics, £250 - £300 for the interface and we've got extra money for stands and cables and stuff. I've already got software and production experience so it's just mics and interface really. We're not looking for highest quality but ideally we want to beable to record the drummer. We can gradually upgrade.
Last edited by Afroboy267 at Nov 26, 2011,
The Fast Track has really bad preamps for the price.

I'm not sure how much it is in the UK, but the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 is a much better investment. You'll need FireWire, but cards are pretty inexpensive if your computer doesn't support it.

For mics, I'm honestly not a huge fan of the NT1s, but they should do ok as a stereo pair for overheads. Otherwise, a pair of Rode NT5s or Oktava MK012s would be good. You could even go the budget route and get a pair of Samson CO2s, which are surprisingly good for the cash. On toms, SM57s are hard to beat for the price, Sennheiser e604s are also really good. Alternatively, you could get a set of DrumDial triggers (or DDrum/whatever) and use your SM57 and whatever overheads you use to record samples of the kit, then replace the clicks made by the triggers with the samples. You'll probably end up with a much more controlled sound that way.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
The Fast Track has really bad preamps for the price.

I'm not sure how much it is in the UK, but the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 is a much better investment. You'll need FireWire, but cards are pretty inexpensive if your computer doesn't support it.

For mics, I'm honestly not a huge fan of the NT1s, but they should do ok as a stereo pair for overheads. Otherwise, a pair of Rode NT5s or Oktava MK012s would be good. You could even go the budget route and get a pair of Samson CO2s, which are surprisingly good for the cash. On toms, SM57s are hard to beat for the price, Sennheiser e604s are also really good. Alternatively, you could get a set of DrumDial triggers (or DDrum/whatever) and use your SM57 and whatever overheads you use to record samples of the kit, then replace the clicks made by the triggers with the samples. You'll probably end up with a much more controlled sound that way.

The Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 is £400, a bit too much over what we want to spend really. I think we'll keep to basic recording methods while we get better. Thanks for suggestions though!

What are some good hi-hat mics?
Last edited by Afroboy267 at Nov 26, 2011,
You don't really need a hihat mic, or individual toms. If you're micing drums on a budget, go for a few good mics rather than lots of crap ones....

Check out the Glyn Johns method for a great drum sound with minimal mics. As long as you've got a well-tuned kit it's great.
Last edited by kyle62 at Nov 26, 2011,
Quote by kyle62
You don't really need a hihat mic, or individual toms. If you're micing drums on a budget, go for a few good mics rather than lots of crap ones....

That all depends on the style really, you might get away with a 3 mic set up for jazz, but if you're recording a prog metal band, you want everything mic'd up!

Generally if you're on a budget, the best thing to skimp a bit on is the toms, as they are probably used least. I'd concentrate your main mic funds on getting a pair of nice overheads (I've had good results with NT5's, and got my pair for £200 second hand), a decent kick mic (I'd probably go with an E602 or an Audix D6, again probably second hand) and maybe throw the extra money into getting a Saffire Pro 40?

As far as tom mics go, I've actually heard strikingly good results from these, which is incredible considering that all things considered they should sound like turd - http://cpc.farnell.com/pulse/d-606/snare-tom-microphone/dp/MP33857?Ntt=D606

I know CPC had a promotion not long ago where they were selling them for £10 each, you might be able to get a similar price on ebay. Sure they aren't the most rugged things in the world, but sound wise, there's nothing wrong with them!
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Thanks for last 2 replies ^, they were both helpful.

Luckily I found my friend has 2 SM57s and a Shure Prologue as well as a 24 Track mixer. I'm gonna borrow them off him and buy a couple of other mics then we're good to go .
Quote by Afroboy267
Thanks for last 2 replies ^, they were both helpful.

Luckily I found my friend has 2 SM57s and a Shure Prologue as well as a 24 Track mixer. I'm gonna borrow them off him and buy a couple of other mics then we're good to go .

Check out the Red5 Audio RVD-1 for a great cheap kick mic. You've got 2x SM57s for the snare and hats, but you'll want a pair of matched condenser mics if you possibly can to use as overheads. I'm not sure which Prologue you have, but if you can get another one I'm sure they'll do as overheads.
If possible, a set of cheapo clip-on tom mics would give you more clarity and control.

Whatever you do, make sure the kit is really well tuned and in a nice-sounding room.
Tuning is far more important than mic/preamp quality when it comes to drums. A perfectly tuned kit recorded through cheap Behringer mics will sound good, a badly tuned kit picked up through the finest mics and preamps in the world will sound like arse.