Page 1 of 3
So after having a body blank and neck blank ready for a les paul forever, i finally got a decent piece of quilted maple.

Not sure on the rest of the specs so far though. I know i will be using abalone trapezoid inlays. I want to do either a dragon burst finish or cherry burst.

The body is 1 piece african mahogany, and the neck is from the same piece.

Experimenting with some basic cambering
as well.

Quote by HaistaPaska92
What are the holes for?

Tone quality and to keep it from breaking your neck....
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
As usual quality work. Trying to get quilted Maple in Scotland is a near imposible task, Gonna try some Red Oak next time me thinks. Following for sure.

Sharp tools to ya!!
Quote by Papabear505
Tone quality and to keep it from breaking your neck....

so to lighten it? Ok. Is this what people call a chambered guitar?
yes
btw, nice heel! i love it. heels are to me, the weekest point of les pauls. thats why i really lke the PRS SC heels.
Last edited by n1ckn1ce at Nov 26, 2011,
Looking forward to this!, I'll put my vote in now for a dragonbust, something a little different

Chur
please, dont waste such quilt with dragonburst. Itll look like a toy. A light blue burst is the way to go: with the quilt, it will look like waves in a lake, or in the sea.
Quote by Jason Jillard
no but they don't change it and they help with the weight. its a very common way to weight releive without affecting the tone at all. big chambers will make it start sounding like a semi hollow.

Are you sure that wholes through out the body dont distort the vibrations in some point? idk about tonewise, but maybe some sustain??
Wow that top looks really nice Explorerbuilder.

Will be following this one closely, as I'm building a Les Paul soon myself.
Great to have this thread for reference, and I may call on you're knowledge in the near future. I do have a question for experienced guys on here, I won't hijack you're thread but if you could chime in on the thread here I would be most appreciative.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1499615

Cheers
Subscribed
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by Explorerbuilder
All that ive posted on UG, or all past ones too?
I Post all of my progress and have most of my recent guitars on my facebook page, its in my sig.

ALL of your guitars. And I did like the Facebook page after looking at it for an hour or so.
Out of curiosity, how do you route your truss channel? Also do you do it while the neck is still square or do you already taper it? I guess a better question would be how do you do your neck, such as the sequence you take.

It's been awhile since I done a build, but I route the channel while it's square, attach the fretboard, slot it, taper the sides/cut the headstock, radius the fretboard, then shape the neck last.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by Explorerbuilder
As far as tips go,
All i can say is to NOT do anything until you have everything you need right in front of you. dont ever try to start or plan it without a template, or parts right there to go off of.

If you need to know anything specific, just let me know.

How do you apply your stains? They all look good.
Page 1 of 3