I think I'm gonna sell off my M-Audio Profire 2626 and my M-Audio Octane because I'm sick of dealing with all these ****ing issues with my FireWire card and the M-Audio drivers and get a nicer interface with 12 or more inputs. Any suggestions?

I'm interested in the Mackie Onyx 1200F but not sure if I'll be able to get a hold of one. Also considering a Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56, but there's only 8 inputs...
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
Quote by DiveRightIn63
I'm interested in the Mackie Onyx 1200F but not sure if I'll be able to get a hold of one. Also considering a Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56, but there's only 8 inputs...

I'm using the Mackie Onyx 1640. Its a little bit older but a solid 16 channel live board and interface. Haven't had any problems with it. You can usually pick them up on Craigslist for about $1000
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
What's your budget?

The Focusrite might only have 8 inputs, but you can expand it to up to 24 with ADAT. The Focusrite has the same preamps on everything but the Liquid channels, as the Saffire Pro 40 does, so if you don't think you'll need the Liquid channels, it'd be better to save some cash and use your Octane for ADAT expansion.

The Onyx has great preamps, but Mackie is known for poor driver support, so it's a toss up if you'd have an issues with it. Some people seem to have great results with the drivers on their systems and others seem to have tons of issues, just like with your 2626.

The Steinberg MR816 is on par with the Onyx preamps and A/D conversion, if not better, and significantly cheaper. You can use your Octane to expand it to 16 tracks, as well.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
The Onyx has great preamps, but Mackie is known for poor driver support, so it's a toss up if you'd have an issues with it. Some people seem to have great results with the drivers on their systems and others seem to have tons of issues, just like with your 2626.

Really? I've never had problems with my 1640. The only time I had problems was because PT9 can be a shit head at times
Quote by MatrixClaw
What's your budget?

The Focusrite might only have 8 inputs, but you can expand it to up to 24 with ADAT. The Focusrite has the same preamps on everything but the Liquid channels, as the Saffire Pro 40 does, so if you don't think you'll need the Liquid channels, it'd be better to save some cash and use your Octane for ADAT expansion.

The Steinberg MR816 is on par with the Onyx preamps and A/D conversion, if not better, and significantly cheaper. You can use your Octane to expand it to 16 tracks, as well.

I'd be willing to spend up to around $1000. I want to sell my Octane, though. I'd like to get a 12-input interface since I've never had to use more than 12 total inputs at once. I'll look into the Steinberg, thanks.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
Quote by DiveRightIn63
I'd be willing to spend up to around $1000. I want to sell my Octane, though. I'd like to get a 12-input interface since I've never had to use more than 12 total inputs at once. I'll look into the Steinberg, thanks.

You'd be very hard pressed to find a 12 input interface, honestly.

Besides the Mackie stuff, nearly everything is max 8 inputs, with ADAT expansion.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by lockwolf
I'm using the Mackie Onyx 1640. Its a little bit older but a solid 16 channel live board and interface. Haven't had any problems with it. You can usually pick them up on Craigslist for about $1000

Interesting. I'm a little sketchy about using a liveboard as an interface though.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Quote by MatrixClaw
You'd be very hard pressed to find a 12 input interface, honestly.

Besides the Mackie stuff, nearly everything is max 8 inputs, with ADAT expansion.

Balls. That's what I was thinking. Maybe an 8input with an ADAT 4input pre?
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Rme Fireface ftw
Esp Eclipse II
Fender Strat LoneStar
Martin D35 Custom Shop
Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12
Quote by DiveRightIn63

You can get the MR816X, which is the same thing as the CSX, just it doesn't have all the DSP effects in it, for $300 less.

Keep in mind, you can't bypass the preamps in the Saffire series, and I don't think you can in the Mackies either. The Steinberg unit doesn't have MIDI support, so you'd have to buy a USB > MIDI device if that's a concern.

You can also get the Mackie Onyx Blackbird, which has the same pres as the 1200, just doesn't have the EQs and stuff:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Blackbird

Quote by drying out
Rme Fireface ftw

Not possible on his budget, especially since he needs 12 inputs.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by DiveRightIn63
Interesting. I'm a little sketchy about using a liveboard as an interface though.

I was actually surprised at first. Usually, the A/D conversions are shit on mixer boards. The 1640s have an updated Onyx Pre on it (Same Pre as the 1200F but slightly better). I've noticed little difference between that and the Focusrite Saffire 40. I saw a 1200f on Ebay for $1300. You can get the 1640s and the 1640i's for $900+ or $1300+ respectively.
Got the Liquid Saffire 56 for $760 from zZounds. Stoked!
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...