Im in the market for a head and cab. how much should i spend? For more hard rock, maybe with a decent clean sound too.
I want to just be able to get over drums for small gigs. Ive always had solid state amps so I really dont know much about these, price range around 600
Actually we need to know the kind of music you play too in order to guide you.
Quote by Wallied
Actually we need to know the kind of music you play too in order to guide you.

Quote by VertigodowN
For more hard rock, maybe with a decent clean sound too.

Hard rock with nice cleans for $600 = used Jet City JCA50 head with 2x12 cab. A little smaller than a "standard" half stack, but maybe that's better; you'll be heard over any drummer anyway. You can get a 4x12 for a little more as well.

The distortion is downright pretty (in an aggressive way, of course). The cleans are nice and snappy and won't get buried under the mix. What kind of axe are you rockin'?
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
Last edited by sonic_777111 at Nov 26, 2011,
Please answer these questions https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138 so we can give you actual recommendations. Genres are useless because of how much genre blending and bending there is these days. We need specific bands that you want the tone of to really help you.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
How big? We once had a guy who wanted a stack because his band liked all of the amps to be the same height!
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by sonic_777111
Hard rock with nice cleans for $600 = used Jet City JCA50 head with 2x12 cab. A little smaller than a "standard" half stack, but maybe that's better; you'll be heard over any drummer anyway. You can get a 4x12 for a little more as well.

The distortion is downright pretty (in an aggressive way, of course). The cleans are nice and snappy and won't get buried under the mix. What kind of axe are you rockin'?

JCA used?

doubt it
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
I want to play a hard rock, with maybe some phsycadelic stuff. favorite bands are the doors, nirvana, velvet underground, system of a down, white stripes. so i want a jack white type sound. looking for used. Im not nessecarly looking for a specific model. just what kind of stuff too look for and what to watch out for.
Last edited by VertigodowN at Nov 26, 2011,
Quote by VertigodowN
I want to play a hard rock, with maybe some phsycadelic stuff. favorite bands are the doors, nirvana, velvet underground, system of a down, white stripes. so i want a jack white type sound. looking for used. Im not nessecarly looking for a specific model. just what kind of stuff too look for and what to watch out for.

All of those bands sound drastically different from the other...

You're going to need to save more money. Your best bet would be a Jet City Amps JCA50H and 4x12.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
All of those bands sound drastically different from the other...

You're going to need to save more money. Your best bet would be a Jet City Amps JCA50H and 4x12.

haha you see my problem.like a white stripes sound is what im looking for but i want something versatile