Well im new to this forum so dont blast me. Im thinking of getting a new guitar for christmas and i have dreamed of having this guitar for ages. I found this on ebay but i became unsure if it was real or a rubbish chinese copy. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Epiphone-Zakk-Wylde-Les-Paul-Custom-/170731526286?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D2%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D4476433407547358788 There is the link. Please tell me if its fake or not because i really wanna get this guitar
It looks pretty legit to me, but there's no way to be 100% without seeing it and inspecting it in person.
I think you're on safe ground, I can't see why you'd go to all that effort to fake an Epi when itd be so easy to put 'Gibson' on the headstock instead
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
I think it looks legit enough to be the actual model. Too much details on the headstock and the quality of the guitar is too good to be just a copy.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

i don't know if it is or isn't but i played a real one in a local music shop and it was an awsome guitar.
.(....\................/....)
. \....\............. /..../
...\....\.........../..../
....\..../´¯.l.¯`\..../
..../... l....l....(¯ `\
...l......l....l.....\....\
...l......l´¯.l´¯.l \....\
...\......` ¯..¯ ´......|
....\__________./
Cheers for the quick reply guys . I've heard the the white ones are fake. Is that true?
I'd say it's questionable. The horn on the cutaway doesn't look correct. Nor does the location of the logo and split diamond on the headstock. These things were counterfeited in large qty's inspite of a UGer's comment posted above claiming otherwise. The fact that the back of the headstock is 'long shot' vs a close up is also worrisome.
The price is also quite cheap (for UK) which is another indication.
If you can post these pics on MLP forum in the Epi section and some better judgements will be forthcoming.
good luck in your search.

EDIT
<http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Les-Paul/Zakk-Wylde-Custom-Plus-Bullseye.aspx>

Check out the real EPI Pay attention to the headstock details and looks wehre t5he knobs line up on the stripes.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Nov 26, 2011,
Quote by KenG

<http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Les-Paul/Zakk-Wylde-Custom-Plus-Bullseye.aspx>

Check out the real EPI Pay attention to the headstock details and looks wehre t5he knobs line up on the stripes.

Yep, the price is questionable BUT
The guitar that is on Ebay is the older version of the Epi ZW Les Paul.
The new one has EMG 81/85s while you can see clearly that the one on Ebay has EMG-HZs. Other than that, I do not know what else has changed than fretboard wood.
I don't think anything else that big has happened to the guitar.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Nov 26, 2011,
I'm with Ken on this one, that headstock looks a bit off.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Mr happyslap
Cheers for the quick reply guys . I've heard the the white ones are fake. Is that true?

I've seen the white ones for sale at Musician's Friend... around $800.00 US

Now all they carry is the Camo edition.
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!

That is a real one...

The ebay one is a fake.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Mr happyslap
Well im new to this forum so dont blast me. Im thinking of getting a new guitar for christmas and i have dreamed of having this guitar for ages. I found this on ebay but i became unsure if it was real or a rubbish chinese copy. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Epiphone-Zakk-Wylde-Les-Paul-Custom-/170731526286?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D2%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D4476433407547358788 There is the link. Please tell me if its fake or not because i really wanna get this guitar

It's hard to define Genuine for Epiphone, as they are rubbish chinese copies of Gibson Guitars. But the pickups look correct, and body has the right striping so I wouldn't be wary of it. Although like someone else said, without seeing it in person, theres no definite way to tell.
Not only is it a fake its a pretty poorly done one. Look at the body. The upper bout and horn are really funky looking. That's in addition to every detail on the headstock being wrong.
Last edited by MonkeysHamlet at Nov 27, 2011,
Looks fake to me. The headstock details are all slightly off. I think you'd be safer spending a bit more money in an actual shop and get it there, so you can be sure it's legit
Quote by Paddy McK
I think you're on safe ground, I can't see why you'd go to all that effort to fake an Epi when itd be so easy to put 'Gibson' on the headstock instead

give me 5 minutes on Google and I'll find you a thousand fake Epis.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Yeah I don't really trust it. If you still want to give it a shot I'd email them asking for a better picture of the headstock so you can see the serial. It does look really odd though.
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
Why would anyone want to fake an Epiphone? It probably is legit.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by Woffelz
Why would anyone want to fake an Epiphone? It probably is legit.

Really....?

Simple. You would pay $250 for an Epi without blinking an eye. You wouldnt pay $250 for a Gibson and think its legit.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Really....?

Simple. You would pay $250 for an Epi without blinking an eye. You wouldnt pay $250 for a Gibson and think its legit.

Ah but you could make a fake, and put the Gibson and custom logo on it or some shit, and sell it for $1000.

I'm sure it's easier to make fake Gibsons. There are two less letters in Gibson!
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
true,

but people will usually be more experienced when looking at a Gibson, a parent or teen who doesnt have that knowledge may not know what to look for when buying a first guitar so wont spot the flaws on the fake epis.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
^ Fair point

Quote by Woffelz
Ah but you could make a fake, and put the Gibson and custom logo on it or some shit, and sell it for $1000.

I'm sure it's easier to make fake Gibsons. There are two less letters in Gibson!

But at the same time, there's a lot more people out there that have $250 than $1000 to spend on a guitar. Why limit your potential buyers?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
But is it worth the time and effort to fake an Epi and sell it for 250?

I think not
Some of you people are either really new to guitar or haven't been paying attention. EPIis are counterfeited as much if not more than Gibsons. The new price of a fake Epi isn't that much lower than the infamous Tr*de T**g's Gibson knockoffs.
Epiphone has published news releases trying to inform people f the counterfeits out there as has Gibson.
EBay daily shows listings of fake EPIs and Gibsons and I've more than once seen posts of UGers here that indicate they bought one. Of course once pressed for photos of their suspect guitars they leave the post and never return. I guess people would rather live in ignorance than be aware.

EPis for instance can be factory defects smuggled out of the plant and finished elsewhere. Though many are so bad it would appear they were made from scratch. Using cheap ass woods, HW and components, skipping little details like a working truss rod or accurate design or scale, it's fairly easy to make 100% profit on these things over seas. You're talking about economies were $100 USD profit is a lot of money per guitar and would easily satisfy these fakers.
Once you learn the signs it becomes much easier to spot these things and I urge people to become more aware.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Nov 27, 2011,