Hello EG forum!

I am to the point where I desire to invest in a new Electric in the $800-$1200 price range and was wondering what you all would recommend for me to play. Understand, I am still a ways away, but I want to begin looking and testing out different options. I am going to play more than simply what you all list, but I value your opinions as well. Here is my list so far: Charvel So-Cal Style 1 (have played one), Fender American Standard HSS (have not played), Sterling by Music Man JP100D (have not played).

I am seeking a versatile guitar (to the extent that a single instrument can be versatile in all areas) that I will mostly use in rock, both classic and some "modern" such as Thin Lizzy, Pink Floyd, Kansas, Dream Theater, My Chemical Romance, and The Classic Crime, Foo Fighters, Paul Gilbert, and 80's metal in the vain of Iron Maiden, Dokken, Stryper and the like.

I value and appreciate all input!
Main Setup:
Charvel So-Cal

Dunlop Volume
Digitech Tuner
Custom Compressor
VFE Blues King
Ibanez TS9 30th Anniv
Boss DD20
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Hardwire Supernatural
Loop-Master 2 Channel Looper

Mesa Single Rec
i'd have thought both the charvel and strat were higher-end instruments than the sterling. I say that having not tried the charvel and sterling , but just based on my experience with guitars etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Man, I definitely enjoy playing a lot of the things you do, and of my 7 guitars, the Gibson Explorer is definitely a viable option. I can go from ripping on Freebird to shredding Flight of Icarus. Give it a try, I own a Les Paul Custom, a Custom shop strat, and an EVH Wolfgang and the Explorer rivals the Wolfgang's versatility in both sounds and playabitlity.
have you thought about a used PRS CE22/24 or Standard 22/24?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
My buddy has a Les Paul Custom and they are pretty sweet things, was a great all around guitar I just didn't like how it sat against my body. Can't speak for the other guitars though as I haven't played them.

You could always buy a guitar that has quality and a great feel to the body for $400-600, then just do a pickup swap won't cost you more then another $400.

Your taste in music is pretty well defined so all it would come down to is the pickup configuration you need. Probably a H-S-S or H-S-H ex.(super distortion, Injector Neck, Liquid Fire) combo would give you more versatility, those pickups would probably cover all the genres that you mentioned with ease.

And if you need help choosing dimarizo is good for answering questions and pointing you in the right direction, I can say much about Seymour because I haven't played there higher end model pups.
Dude,Sterlings are stupid expensive, like $800. I would possibly go with a PRS based on your music tastes.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Thanks for the input guys! I have looked at some of the PRS guitars, particularly the SE Singlecut and SE Custom 24 (which I prefer aesthetically to the singlecut) but just failed to list them.

My main attraction to the Sterling is look and pickups, so I will still have to play one to see if it is a viable option. I may look into the Gibsons, but the Explorer is quite the size guitar, and I'm not sure how I would care for it.
Main Setup:
Charvel So-Cal

Dunlop Volume
Digitech Tuner
Custom Compressor
VFE Blues King
Ibanez TS9 30th Anniv
Boss DD20
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Hardwire Supernatural
Loop-Master 2 Channel Looper

Mesa Single Rec
Quote by eteam_sammy4him
Thanks for the input guys! I have looked at some of the PRS guitars, particularly the SE Singlecut and SE Custom 24 (which I prefer aesthetically to the singlecut) but just failed to list them.

My main attraction to the Sterling is look and pickups, so I will still have to play one to see if it is a viable option. I may look into the Gibsons, but the Explorer is quite the size guitar, and I'm not sure how I would care for it.

The CE is the old USA line, much better than any SE(which are nice guitars).

With your budget you can get a used USA PRS
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate