EDIT: Please just tell mewhat kind of amp, thats all i need now, thanks.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i would like to learn bass, and get amp and guitar for less than 200?

i can't really spend more than that, i just want something to learn with.

i listen to heavy metal, mainly Lamb of god, Metallica, slipknot, Pantera, and Amon amarth

and i have no idea if it should be a 4-string or 5-string?

thanks.
Last edited by sl1pknot6 at Nov 30, 2011,
200 what? USD? GBP? Blackberries? Porcupines?
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
If you're into detuning get a 5 string, that way you can play along with anything that doesn't go lower than B, it'll cost more though.
lol usd, sorry
so...5 strings and gonna cost more ? :/

well i could go used i guess...

any more ideas ?
if i get the esp ltd, whats a cheap good amp i could get ? for around 50?

EDIT: umm i just checked metallica, lamb of god, pantera, slipknot
they all use 4-string...so why would i want 5 string ?

am confused can someone just tell me a good beginner guitar and amp for under 300, and if i should get 4 or 5-string depending on the bands i listed? thanks.
Last edited by sl1pknot6 at Nov 26, 2011,
ESP Ltd all the way. B50 or B55. Fast neck, sound great. More bang for your buck. I use them live and they kick ass. Both run under 200 and you should get gig bags with both which is a bonus.
thanks buddy, sounds good

well you showed me the 4 and 5

and i have no idea which one for heavy or death metal music lol

all i need to know now is 4 or 5, and cheap good amp pleaseee

thanks!!
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster (Mexican)
Hagstrom Ultra Swede
Music Man Axis Sport
I got a Bronco bass for $75, as
new. It still has plastic on pick
guard.

For an amp

Acoustic B20 is as low as I would
go. When they have a sale at GC
you can get it for $100.

Even with tax, that's less than $200.

Stick with a 4 string until you learn
the basics.

Tabdog
Last edited by tabdog at Nov 27, 2011,
Sorry, but the 'start on a 4 string to learn the basics' stuff is a bunch of tosh. As with anything, play a 4 and a 5, see what you find comfortable. And here's the thing- a fiver is NO HARDER to learn on than a four string. Sure, you may need to actually use your noggin to apply things to the 5th string in terms of theory etc, but that's beneficial.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Sorry, but the 'start on a 4 string to learn the basics' stuff is a bunch of tosh. As with anything, play a 4 and a 5, see what you find comfortable. And here's the thing- a fiver is NO HARDER to learn on than a four string. Sure, you may need to actually use your noggin to apply things to the 5th string in terms of theory etc, but that's beneficial.

Agreed. I actually find a 5er much easier to play than a 4. But that's my personal taste, as I choose my 5s over my 4 most of the time.
Metallica uses 5 string.
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
Quote by omidmash
Metallica uses 5 string.

No. Robert uses a fiver. Metallica unfortunately, don't use a bass at all :/
pinga
lol am so confused right now on getting 4 or 5 string

i feel like getting 4 string, but i don't wanna regret not getting 5 string
It doesn't sound like they are considering your
budget.

Your options are limited whether you call it basics
or what.

If you find as fiver that fits your budget, it will
probably give you fits.

Not knowing about fivers and having such a low
budget almost pushes you to be more basic,

Even if it is a a bunch of tosh

Well, that's just the way it is.

Just do the best you can.

For them, a 4 or 5 makes no difference.

For you, I'm afraid it does.

Tabdog
Just get whatever feels more comfortable to you. That's really your only option.
No, it isn't 'just the way it is.' Basic instruments are becoming more affordable and the quality improving all the time. What a backwards way of thinking, that he's so limited, and saying that it will give him fits is mind boggling, especially with no form of clarification. Beginner bassists have NEVER had it so good!

Kustom KBA10 is a cracking little practice amp that can be found for $60, and a 4 or a 5 that's great for beginners can easily be found for ~$140 new or used. And he may have little knowledge about fivers, but guess what? BEGINNERS HAVE LITTLE KNOWLEDGE IN GENERAL ABOUT THE INSTRUMENT! (No offence intended, TS)

TS, I personally think that five strings are one of the greatest introductions to the instrument. Others disagree, and that's great, the world will be boring as hell if we all agreed with each other all the time. But you need to try some out and find what YOU find comfortable. Applying knowledge to the low B isn't difficult- it's all logical. Those saying 'you must start on a four string' are doing nothing but perpetuate the myth that extra strings= harder. But you be the judge of you.
i think am going to spend more. there's no way i can know whats more comfortable for me, i never played bass before, i can't just judge by picking it up.

i was thinking of going with the ESP ltd B-50 which is 4 string and for 199$

if you guys think its not good or any reason, i suppose i could raise my budget rather than getting something not good and wasting my money.

so for now what do you guys think of the ESP ltd B-50 like some of you suggested it to me

if there's something a little more expensive that have huge difference and something i can keep for a long time, please tell me, thanks.
The B50 or the B55 are both good. I'd say go with the 55. In the end they are both well priced, feel and sound great. Get out there and get one and start learnin'!
Quote by sl1pknot6
i think am going to spend more. there's no way i can know whats more comfortable for me, i never played bass before, i can't just judge by picking it up.

i was thinking of going with the ESP ltd B-50 which is 4 string and for 199$

if you guys think its not good or any reason, i suppose i could raise my budget rather than getting something not good and wasting my money.

so for now what do you guys think of the ESP ltd B-50 like some of you suggested it to me

if there's something a little more expensive that have huge difference and something i can keep for a long time, please tell me, thanks.

Good choice.

Glad to see you ignore those arrogant
ego inflated goodie two shoes.

Band me. I'll never be back.

Thanks,

Tabdog
Last edited by tabdog at Nov 29, 2011,
^You're being a tad dramatic for a internet argument on a forum, me thinks.

To the TS, try a tonne of basses in your budget and yes, even from the start you'll have some sense of what's comfortable in your price range. I always advise beginning bass players to try to get someone who plays bass to hit the local shops with them. and try out a few basses. Its a good learning experience of what may or may not work for you.

On the five vs four. I started out on a four, but honestly I now use my 6er more when playing jazz and alt rock.

And if you are just starting out, Kustom amps are great little loud combos and built like tanks. Mine is now a studio amp at a music school and is surviving being used by many student players.
Last edited by anarkee at Nov 29, 2011,
Get a squier jazz or p bass for fender tones. Squier basses are not bad at all, but you definitely should try them out before buying to make sure you don't get a lemon. Ibanez GSR series for more flexible modern tone. I rec the GSR because it's a popular bass that has high turnover in sales. If you decide to sell it for something you like more you can probably bargain 70-100 bucks out of it at a Guitar Center.

Quote by Picksqueal72
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass

A seriously good recommendation. Used or heavily discounted it will be inside your price range.

You should go to talk bass and ask what's the best bass for metal since that's your style.
Last edited by BlackVoid at Nov 29, 2011,
i can't find a decent amp for good price...seems like i need to spend at least 150+ for 20 watt decent amp?

anyone know a good metal style amp for a good price other than the ones said before?

i would say max for 100 if possible ? i could go 150 maybe but i don't wanna spend a lot...unless really necessary to spend more.

thanks, that's all i need know, already picked the ESP ltd b-50 4 string
Quote by sl1pknot6
i would say max for 100 if possible ? i could go 150 maybe but i don't wanna spend a lot...unless really necessary to spend more.

The Peavey MAX 158 is a nice little practice amp that costs $100 new. And I'm gonna give Kustom a +1, you can find a KBA used for way under your budget, and the KB10 will run $100 new.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass