If it resolves to Dm, use the D minor scale. If it resolves to G minor, use the G minor scale. Use your ears to determine where it resolves.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I Don't have the guitar on me at the moment but i would say the progression is likely a I- vii- I V. Use the G minor scale or G minor pentatonic scale and use blues notes and other accidentals if you wish.
Quote by zguitarmaster
Gm - F and Gm to Dm

Should I use the Dm scale or the Gm scale?

I see this:

ii I ii vi

If I approached this, I'd think to play as if I were playing in F - if there was an A7, I'd consider it more in Dm.

Over G, my F would be a b7 which is congruent. and over D a 13...nothing else there that concerns me with seeing this in F, or able to resolve to it.

Best,

Sean
Quote by zguitarmaster
Gm - F and Gm to Dm

I say it resolves to Gm. The first is i VII and the second is i v.

Use the G natural minor scale.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
I think you could use the notes from F major, but I dunno what you'd call the scale in this case..
Maybe Gm Dorian? Does anybody know?
Last edited by dogmax at Nov 27, 2011,
Quote by dogmax
I think you could use the notes from F major, but I dunno what you'd call the scale in this case..
Maybe Gm Dorian? Does anybody know?

As Sean said, it can be approached from F major. It could also be G minor. I wouldn't go dragging Dorian into this though.
Quote by stickfigurekill
As Sean said, it can be approached from F major. It could also be G minor. I wouldn't go dragging Dorian into this though.

It's just another thread where the TS could quite easily answer his own question by trying out different scales over the progression, or by listening for the resolution. All we can do is speculate. There are (mostly) no incorrect answers here.
Soundcloud
Quote by maltmn
Actually, I personally would play Dorian. I think that is just SUCH a great scale.

Put your flame shield on.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
It's a mode.
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Of course it's a MODE! So what? It's also a scale you put emphasis on the ii chord of the major scale, by starting on the ii chord, and playing the ii chord again somehwere else in the progression (for example)

it's not really the scale that's cool... it's where you put the emphasis

EDIT: *mode, not scale*

anyway, Oblivion, you should check out my latest song..... it's actually called OBLIVION!!!
www.breathingmusic.us/Music.html
Last edited by maltmn at Nov 30, 2011,
Quote by maltmn
Of course it's a MODE! So what? It's also a scale you put emphasis on the ii chord of the major scale, by starting on the ii chord, and playing the ii chord again somehwere else in the progression (for example)

it's not really the scale that's cool... it's where you put the emphasis

EDIT: *mode, not scale*

anyway, Oblivion, you should check out my latest song..... it's actually called OBLIVION!!!
www.breathingmusic.us/Music.html

Hey Tom Hess....

I'm sorry, I mean Maltmn...

That's NOT how Dorian works.

You start on the ii chord, and you resolve the melodies to the ii. Its all about resolution, NOT what's included. Its resolution. Its tonal. If you're in D Dorian, you finish and, it better NOT sound resolved on a C note. This where people miss the point.

If you are making modal melodies (using it as a "SCALE") progressions, etc, and calling it a mode, it should end and feel finalized on that tonal center, or you're just playing major or minor.

Best,

Sean
At least the way I'm playing it the progression seems to resolve to the Gm. That makes it a bit weird since the Dm would be a v chord, but it's not unheard of. The notes you play over it really depend on the feel of the song too, which none of us could guess at. I would play different notes over it in a jazz setting than in a classical one.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
You can use any and all scales, and you can use none of them.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I wonder how I would emphasise the ii chord. Perhaps by playing really hard when the chord comes along and soft on the others. That'll definately change the resolution.
Soundcloud
Quote by zguitarmaster
Gm - F and Gm to Dm

G natural minor
G pentatonic minor
G minor blues
G dorian
shred is gaudy music
Quote by zguitarmaster
Gm - F and Gm to Dm

Chromatic scale. Be sure to focus heavily on chord tones and tensions however.