I'm buying this guitar and I want to keep the gold covers on, but I want to swap out the pickups.

Is it possible to put the covers onto any humbuckers I want? For example if I buy Seymour Duncans, would I need to get new covers that fit them or should these work?

Stupid noob question, but I want to know
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
I named my guitar after my GF once... It was tempremental, the neck was too fat, and I couldn't turn down the volume, just like her...
To answer your question directly - it's doable, yes.

It's a moot point though - you can get most any kind of Duncan humbucker with gold covers if you call and ask or just discuss it with your local dealer. They're usually a slight upcharge but I'd much rather do that than go through the trouble of getting the covers off the stock pickups and sticking them to a new pair of Duncans.
Last edited by Flying Couch at Nov 26, 2011,
oh

I guess I'll go ahead and do that then. As long as its gold on top and it sounds good then I'm happy!
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
I named my guitar after my GF once... It was tempremental, the neck was too fat, and I couldn't turn down the volume, just like her...
it can be done, but different manufacturers do it differently. some pickups it is easier than others. worth it? no.

just buy gold pickups.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
the covers on those pups are held on with a glob of solder.

if you melt the glob you can usually carefully remove the cover and
probably use them on the next set.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I think another problem with putting covers on pickups is you may have to wax shield the pickup to fill the gaps between the cover and the pickup itself.

Correct me if i'm wrong though.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I think another problem with putting covers on pickups is you may have to wax shield the pickup to fill the gaps between the cover and the pickup itself.

Correct me if i'm wrong though.

yes, potting the pickup is not difficult, but definitely an important step,
or you could end up with a microphonic pup.

doesnt mean it WILL happen, but it would be a pain to instal
them and then have to take them back out after to wax them.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

I think I'm going to just buy gold pickups then. For some reason I was under the impression that pickups only came uncovered (where they looks like 2 single coils put together) and you had to buy the covers separately.
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
Quote by Ragu35
I think I'm going to just buy gold pickups then. For some reason I was under the impression that pickups only came uncovered (where they looks like 2 single coils put together) and you had to buy the covers separately.

that's fine, but if you are paying to have the pups swapped,
then, consider having them swap the covers too, because,
you don't want to buy the "wrong" pup just because it comes in gold.

gold pups in the search engine will limit the selection,
and custom ordering with gold covers, will increase the cost anyway.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

There's no point swapping covers over. If a pickup can take those sorts of covers then the manufacturer will already offer them with the covers usually for a slightly increased price, something like £5/$10 in the case of gold ones. Buying pickups with the covers already on means you know they're fitted and potted properly and the ones used by companies like Seymour Duncan are better than the covers used on most guitars' stock pickups. Different metals can effect the tone and better companies pick metals which don't effect the tone much plus cheap 'gold' covers wear down after a while whereas the better covers that proper companies use tend to keep their gold color for a lot longer.

Pickups that don't come with the option of gold covers like most blade covers or ones with hex pole pieces are pickups that can't have a cover fitted to them anyway. So if you cna't buy the pickup you want with a gold cover already then chances are that you wouldn't be able to fit the cover to them yourself either. You can buy special 'enclosed' or 'blank' covers that will fit those sorts of pickups but the cost of the pickup + buying the cover means it'll cost more than if you just bought a pickup with a gold cover already on it. And there are so many different types of pickup out there no matter what sort of tone you're after I'm sure you'll be able to find one which comes with a gold cover and gives you the tone you want.

Just buy pickups that already have covers on them.