Hey everyone, I've been looking around for a new guitar/amp. I was going to spend more on the amp, but found a great deal for an Ibanez S2170 that I might pull the trigger on. I know, the amp is more important. However, I play unplugged a lot and the S2170 is one of my favorite guitars.

I was originally going to get a XXX or something, and sell it in a year or two to put towards a nice Mesa head, so I could probably get by with something worse than a XXX for a year or two. I've been trying to scope out a cheap Peavey Ultra but I haven't found much. I play mostly rock music, everything from Zeppelin to Tool to Between the Buried and Me. My budget would probably need to be $400 or less (the less, the better...without sacrificing too much quality of course).

I was looking at the budget low-watt heads going around by Blackstar, VHT, etc. but I haven't heard much about them tone-wise.

I'm most likely grabbing a 1x12 cabinet from Avatar, can't seem to find any 1x12 cabs for cheaper that still have a decent speaker.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks a bunch.
Will this just be for home use? Cause it's hard to beat a Vypyr Tube for versatility. It's IMO the best "home/practice" amp out there. You can get the combo, and save some money.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Yes this amp will spend most of its time in my bedroom being played at low volumes. Might do some light jamming with another guitarist, possibly a drummer.

The appeal of getting a cheap head as opposed to a combo is that I'd be able to upgrade the head and still use whichever cab I purchase. Otherwise that's another couple hundred dollars down the road when I'm trying to save for a Mesa
Peavey XXX, Ultra, VTM, Windsor
Jet City Amps JCA50 or JCA100
Ampeg VH140c or SS140c (solid state but br00t4l)
Red Bear Amps MK60
Sovtek MIG

Use guitarcenter.com 's used section, you should be able to find these heads for cheap.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
How's the Windsor? There's a GuitarCenter a short drive away that has the Windsor 100 head for $250. I'm guessing it doesn't do much in terms of brootal tones, but how metal-ish can it get?
See if you can find a used ENGL Gigmaster head. It'll still probably be over the price you said, but you'd be getting a pretty good head you wouldn't need to replace. (at least not for awhile) As for cabs, check out Whitebox. They're pretty inexpensive for what they offer imo.
The Windsor is basically a JCM800. So it can do hard rock, old school thrash with a boost.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by TJM2482
Hey everyone, I've been looking around for a new guitar/amp. I was going to spend more on the amp, but found a great deal for an Ibanez S2170 that I might pull the trigger on. I know, the amp is more important. However, I play unplugged a lot and the S2170 is one of my favorite guitars.

I was originally going to get a XXX or something, and sell it in a year or two to put towards a nice Mesa head, so I could probably get by with something worse than a XXX for a year or two. I've been trying to scope out a cheap Peavey Ultra but I haven't found much. I play mostly rock music, everything from Zeppelin to Tool to Between the Buried and Me. My budget would probably need to be $400 or less (the less, the better...without sacrificing too much quality of course).

I was looking at the budget low-watt heads going around by Blackstar, VHT, etc. but I haven't heard much about them tone-wise.

I'm most likely grabbing a 1x12 cabinet from Avatar, can't seem to find any 1x12 cabs for cheaper that still have a decent speaker.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

A Peavey Windsor with the matching cab will run you about $650 all together. So If you're serious about one, I'c check those out. The Peavey sounds awesome, like a good 70's Marshall head.
Quote by griffin888
See if you can find a used ENGL Gigmaster head. It'll still probably be over the price you said, but you'd be getting a pretty good head you wouldn't need to replace. (at least not for awhile) As for cabs, check out Whitebox. They're pretty inexpensive for what they offer imo.
Yeah I stumbled across a used JSX for $500 + shipping, which I wouldn't have to replace for a long time. Might end up grabbing that and a used MIJ Ibanez if the S2170 deal is a no-go.
You still living in norwalk? There's a sovtek mig 50 for 350 on the ffc Craigslist. It's been pretty dead as far as amps go. If I you posted this a week ago I'd have sold you my single recto for 400. If you still live around here I'll keep an eye out for you.
JSX is a fucking killer amp, but god's balls is it loud. Really not suited for bedroom use.
volume knob.

I used to jam with a guy, and I used his JSX when I was at his place. yeah, it's loud, but you can turn it down and it'll still work.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by jpatan
volume knob.

Fucking BRILLIANT, why didn't I think of that!?

Quote by jpatan
I used to jam with a guy, and I used his JSX when I was at his place. yeah, it's loud, but you can turn it down and it'll still work.

'Course it'll still work. Doesn't mean it'll sound as good as it could. TS could always chip in for an attenuator down the line anyway, regardless of volume issues it's a solid purchase.
No amp is gonna sound as good at bedroom volume as it will when cranked up. It's just the way speakers, and your ears, work.

When I have to play at bedroom volumes I don't expect uber tone. It should (and does in most cases) still sound GOOD, but I wouldn't get hung up on whether the amp sounds as good as it could. I mean, most options for quiet practice are going to sound a lot worse than a turned down JSX, that's for sure.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by jpatan
No amp is gonna sound as good at bedroom volume as it will when cranked up. It's just the way speakers, and your ears, work.

Buy yourself an attenuator.
Quote by Frank Lagonzo
You still living in norwalk? There's a sovtek mig 50 for 350 on the ffc Craigslist. It's been pretty dead as far as amps go. If I you posted this a week ago I'd have sold you my single recto for 400. If you still live around here I'll keep an eye out for you.
Yep I'm in Norwalk. I would have bought that single recto no hesistation

Let me know if you see anything. Thanks for looking out. I don't know much about the Sovtek amps though.
He said he wants to jam with a drummer, that means he needs an amp capable of gigging.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
$400 get's you a XXX head these days on the used market.

$250 could get you a XXL head, which albeit a modeler, is a nice versatile head.

or go bugger(a).

also, i found a used marshall 112 jcm800 cab with a v30 for $200. thing rocks life for $200.

i'm sure a good avatar 212 for $250 isn't thinking all cray cray these days.

look around!
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
A JCM2000 DSL401 would be worth looking out for too. They often go real cheap and are a mighty little amp. Can keep up with a drummer pretty well plus they're nice and small and easy to move around. Dirt cheap to retube too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
He said he wants to jam with a drummer, that means he needs an amp capable of gigging.
Jamming with a drummer would be a bit of a rare thing for me. Might happen a handful of times (if that) in the next year or two. If I have to sacrifice loudness for tone, I'd probably be fine.
I know you said a head and I suggested a DSL401 but you also said you would get a 1x12. A DSL401 is a 40W 1x12 combo so it's everything in one package. I do think it will suit you quite well, especially with a nice overdrive/boost pedal in front and a nice set of tubes. Go try one out.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Bro if you're looking for a cab too my avatar is listed on the ffc Cl. I've gotten about 15 offers but no one follows through. Gotta love craigslist.
Quote by Frank Lagonzo
Bro if you're looking for a cab too my avatar is listed on the ffc Cl. I've gotten about 15 offers but no one follows through. Gotta love craigslist.
I think I might have actually e-mailed you about that - the 2x12 Avatar cab?
Quote by Frank Lagonzo
That's it. Were you the guy asking how it handles drop tunings?
Nah, I asked if you were interested in any trades. Just e-mailed you back with what I got.

I'm a bit confused though - I saw an Avatar cab for $200 that I responded too, but now I can't find it...only an Avatar cab listed with no price. Same one/same guy?
Quote by TJM2482
Does anyone have any experience the the VHT Special 6 Ultra?

It is an ok amp, but kinda fizzy with the gain way up.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
It is an ok amp, but kinda fizzy with the gain way up.
Could that be solved via an EQ pedal? I remember my old Dano fish-n-chips EQ made a huge improvement with my old XXX combo.
Make sure you check out Peavey VTMs. There is a 60 and 120 watt head and they sound fantastic IMO. They are basically a JCM 900 and were only built a few years and discontinued after Marshall started taking legal action. They go from anywhere from around 200 to 350 depending on condition and if any mods are done to it. I have been keeping my eyes open for a cheap one to pop up on Craigslist.