This is my list, and i believe its mostly right. I have always thought djent and hardcore go more hand in hand so i wasn't sure on where to post this, i might post it somewhere else as well. Tell me what you think. Comment. Add on.

Alright, this is pissin' me off. Ive been studying for the past couple of days about 8 strings and find theyre quite good and i plan on buying one soon, so i made a list of all the confirmed 8 string users. And some people need to quit being so ignorant as to think, "8 strings suck and 6 strings are cooler" because the 8th and 7th strings add more range and open more doors for musicians like myself. Check it:

Scale The Summit (One of the guitarists)
Animals As Leaders
Meshuggah
Periphery (rarely, mostly 6 but drop-tuned)
Whitechapel (Only two songs on "A New Era of Corruption")
Divine Heresy
GWAR
Ihsahn
Deftones (On album "Diamond Eyes", but Carpenter wrote it so all songs CAN be played on a seven string...sadly.)
Anchorhead
Fear Factory (4 songs on "Mechanize")
Scar Symmetry (New stuff)
Kieth Merrow
Terror House
Chimp Spanner
Tesseract
PDP (Sometimes even 9!)
War From A Harlots Mouth (New stuff)
All Shall Perish
The Acacia Strain
Vildhjarta
Volumes
Uneven Structure
RXYZYXR (Yes, thats the right name)
Monuments
Cry For Silence
Portals (Really unique and crazy)
Out World
The Special Purpose
Ion Dissonance (New stuff)
Rusty Cooley (Not anymore)
Brujeria
Fredrick Thordendales' Special Defects
Asesino
Muffgoat (HA!)
We Are The Illusion
Unearth (New)
Dragonforce (New stuff)
Pig Destroyer
Mask of Judas
Charlie Hunter
Bulb
After The Burial

Please tell me what you think, and tell me if im wrong. And tell me what i could add or change. Im planning on getting an 8 string so i made this so i can have some stuff to get into and learn once i aquire one.
Last edited by rongold360 at Nov 26, 2011,
dont Pig Destroyer use 8 strings?

EDIT: and Suicide Silence

She's so pretty in her casts
The prettiest thing I've ever seen
I only get to hold her when she's injured
I only get to kiss her where she's sore
No Charlie Hunter? You fail everything. He was playing eights before even Meshuggah were.

Also, I think Rusty's started playing eights again. Dean appear to have released two eight-string Rusty Cooley models, one of them fanned-fret (and limited-edition; probably absurdly expensive).
8 strings...

in country music, we have pedal steel guitars, double (even triple) neck 10-14 strings.

Dragonforce used 8 strings on the most recent album, although i have zero idea where.

also i don't think this belongs in the pit.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
The Mingeshaggers
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

The list matters why?

EDIT: Reason you copied your post from the metal forum?
Last edited by goest at Nov 26, 2011,
I wasnt quite sure where to put it considering i hardly use this website, so dont get your panties in a bunch. and cool, ill add Dragonforce, Pig Destroyer, Mask of Judas, and Charlie Hunter. Btw, whoever said him, just because i didnt name one guy who i havnt heard of doesnt mean a list sucks. Back the **** off
My Gear:

Dean Razorback DB Black Electric Guitar
Ibanez RG120 Candy Apple Red Electric Guitar
Ibanez Ael20e Accoustic/Electric Guitar
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
Line 6 Spider III 15 Watt Amp
Quote by rongold360
I wasnt quite sure where to put it considering i hardly use this website, so dont get your panties in a bunch. and cool, ill add Dragonforce, Pig Destroyer, Mask of Judas, and Charlie Hunter. Btw, whoever said him, just because i didnt name one guy who i havnt heard of doesnt mean a list sucks. Back the **** off

8-string players. Serious business.
Quote by rongold360

But see, Charlie Hunter is a god. The dude is a master of solo guitar. A modern-day Joe Pass with some funk and fusion thrown in. A one-man band if there ever was one.

Anyway, I'm partly kidding. Although I can't say I really like most of the bands on the list at all. In fact, I'll say I largely don't. But if you're trying to be comprehensive, I guess you have to have everyone, whether they suck or not.
Quote by Holy Katana
But see, Charlie Hunter is a god. The dude is a master of solo guitar. A modern-day Joe Pass with some funk and fusion thrown in. A one-man band if there ever was one.

Anyway, I'm partly kidding. Although I can't say I really like most of the bands on the list at all. In fact, I'll say I largely don't. But if you're trying to be comprehensive, I guess you have to have everyone, whether they suck or not.

I shall check him out then, and agreed, i do like most of them (although i have a growing hatred for Dragonforce) its a list of bands that use 8 stringed guitars, not just ones i like.

and for whoever asked the reason as to why, i looked all over the internet and this is pretty much the best, fullest list. and i know MANY people that are curious, just as I am.
Quote by Weaponxclaws
Chris Broderick (Megadeth) uses one

I cant see Megadeth with 8 strings, could you maybe post some songs showing this? ive heard it rumored, but never proven. Btw, for anyone wondering, Bleeding Through doesnt use 8 strings, just tuned 6 down to Drop A
Hah good idea with this thread, always interesting to find new artists! You can often get new ideas etc, gonna look into it tomorrow. Regarding the constant war between 6-stringers and more-stringers (it's late, can't think of anything better) I feel that it depends a lot on personal taste. Some might like the extra 8 notes (or even 10 if they feel like dropping the guitar (not literally LOL)), I believe it's an awesome addition because these extra 4 notes per string bring about MORE WAYS TO PLAY A CHORD gah! I've always felt a bit... contained? whilst playing open chords on my guitars (3 guitars, all of em 6 stringed). But to be fair a 6 stringer has its bonuses. Not talking about the extra string being a nuisance (I can play fairly well using the 5th string as a 6th string + I have some experience with a 7 stringer and I can note that it's extremely easy to adjust yourself to the extra string and play like normal. I'm talking about the fact that sometimes if you're a heavy strummer (my strumming depends a lot on what I'm playing but I like to put in some eastern music influences here and there, forming a chord with a few open notes and making them ring out harder to bring a bit of mysticism) and that can sometimes be ruined by one more string However the extra strings bring about more octave roots, more options to play something, the ability to add a certain dissonance to the whole musical piece. What I plan on doing further on when I get the money? I already have two 6 string electrics (one in Drop D and one in Standard E) and an acoustic (Eb tuning). I plan on buying 2 more electric 6 stringers (Baritone guitar in Drop B and baritone in C#), 1 more acoustic 12 stringer, 1 electric 7 stringer, 1 electric 8 stringer. Why so many guitars? I like to have plenty of options regarding sound and tone My current guitars are basswood and mahogany, the acoustic is Spruce and mahogany, I want the additions of Alder and Ash as well as one more mahogany and etc. I hate limiting myself to only one tone/option or whatever

Tl;dr : Limiting yourself as a musician is quite the dull idea. It actually leads you away from the true musicianship, where people can create music by beating on a cardboard etc
Quote by Ostinattos
Animals as Leaders yo

Edit: lol didn't read the OP

Yeah bro, theyre on there, and one of my favorites actually.
My Gear:

Quote by Dopemgs
Hah good idea with this thread, always interesting to find new artists! You can often get new ideas etc, gonna look into it tomorrow. Regarding the constant war between 6-stringers and more-stringers (it's late, can't think of anything better) I feel that it depends a lot on personal taste. Some might like the extra 8 notes (or even 10 if they feel like dropping the guitar (not literally LOL)), I believe it's an awesome addition because these extra 4 notes per string bring about MORE WAYS TO PLAY A CHORD gah! I've always felt a bit... contained? whilst playing open chords on my guitars (3 guitars, all of em 6 stringed). But to be fair a 6 stringer has its bonuses. Not talking about the extra string being a nuisance (I can play fairly well using the 5th string as a 6th string + I have some experience with a 7 stringer and I can note that it's extremely easy to adjust yourself to the extra string and play like normal. I'm talking about the fact that sometimes if you're a heavy strummer (my strumming depends a lot on what I'm playing but I like to put in some eastern music influences here and there, forming a chord with a few open notes and making them ring out harder to bring a bit of mysticism) and that can sometimes be ruined by one more string However the extra strings bring about more octave roots, more options to play something, the ability to add a certain dissonance to the whole musical piece. What I plan on doing further on when I get the money? I already have two 6 string electrics (one in Drop D and one in Standard E) and an acoustic (Eb tuning). I plan on buying 2 more electric 6 stringers (Baritone guitar in Drop B and baritone in C#), 1 more acoustic 12 stringer, 1 electric 7 stringer, 1 electric 8 stringer. Why so many guitars? I like to have plenty of options regarding sound and tone My current guitars are basswood and mahogany, the acoustic is Spruce and mahogany, I want the additions of Alder and Ash as well as one more mahogany and etc. I hate limiting myself to only one tone/option or whatever

Tl;dr : Limiting yourself as a musician is quite the dull idea. It actually leads you away from the true musicianship, where people can create music by beating on a cardboard etc

Exactly! Thank you, and i love the extra strings, it feels...empowering. Goodluck with your guitars, i plan on doing the same!
My Gear:

Quote by cornmancer
The Shittybands

Not cool, brah. Not cool.

Don't get your panties in a twist. Back the **** off.
Quote by cornmancer
The Shittybands

So... a band is shitty because YOU dont like them? Great logic numb skull
My Gear:

Quote by goest
Not cool, brah. Not cool.

Don't get your panties in a twist. Back the **** off.

Thanks bro. *knuckle pound*
My Gear:

TS, please tell me you're not one of those people that's going to buy an 8 string and spend 95% of your time with it just chugging away on the lowest three strings. i hate it when people do that, since it completely defeats the purpose of having more strings (and therefore a larger range). it's just awful. those are usually the same people that try to tell you that playing in a lower tuning automatically makes you heavier (the type of people that try and tell you that Emmure and The Acacia Strain are super heavy), and they usually also are the ones that turn the bass as low as possible to get that dried crap tone (like Periphery).

Quote by rongold360
Thanks bro. *knuckle pound*

There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Just watched a Charlie Hunter video for the first time.

There's no point in playing music anymore.

Quote by theogonia777

Yeah...I don't know about this one...
Quote by theogonia777
and they usually also are the ones that turn the bass as low as possible to get that dried crap tone (like Periphery).

:

Actually, this makes sense sometimes. You turn the bass on the guitar down really low because either way, you have a bass guitar covering those frequencies for you. It makes for a nice djenty sound and you don't need the guitar to sound bassy.
pinga
Quote by cornmancer
The Shittybands

Quote by cornmancer
Listening: Brian Fallon and Tom Waits and Bruce Springsteen

___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by Weaponxclaws
Chris Broderick (Megadeth) uses one

I do not believe that, the most strings he uses is seven, straight from himself. He aren't even using them with Megadeth, although it is his prefered config.
We should start calling it "The Fact of Evolution", theory, even though correct, does not work with the ignorant..
Quote by theogonia777
TS, please tell me you're not one of those people that's going to buy an 8 string and spend 95% of your time with it just chugging away on the lowest three strings. i hate it when people do that, since it completely defeats the purpose of having more strings (and therefore a larger range). it's just awful. those are usually the same people that try to tell you that playing in a lower tuning automatically makes you heavier (the type of people that try and tell you that Emmure and The Acacia Strain are super heavy), and they usually also are the ones that turn the bass as low as possible to get that dried crap tone (like Periphery).

Tuning lower doesn't automatically make you heavier, but it helps. It's pretty much moot lower than Bb or so.

I want to throw some really heavy strings on my semihollow and tune down to B for SLUUUUUUUUUUDGE.

And yeah, I hate it when people get an eight-string and just chug on it. It's even more annoying than people who do that with seven-strings.

I don't think my hands are big enough for an eight, but I want a seven, since I know I can play one, and I think post-metal would be amazing on it, since you can do the mega-low chugs but then have the high range of a standard-tuned (or not more than a whole step down) guitar. And then you could do those big ol' Jesu-style chords saturated in gobs and gobs of nasty distortion, only with some jangly high strings.
Last edited by Holy Katana at Nov 26, 2011,
Does Mastodon use 7 or 8 strings, or do they just tune lower on their older albums?
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by rongold360
So... a band is shitty because YOU dont like them? Great logic numb skull

It's a real band bro.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect