So much for Planet Waves being good value for money.. I've had two Planet Waves leads break on me in the past 3-4 months. I don't do anything with my leads that could cause damage, and I treat them better than most guitarists I know. One of the leads that went was a top-of-the-range gold plated one, the other was the base model. I've had it with replacing leads, so I won't be replacing the latest one with another Planet Waves.

But the question is, what leads are out there that aren't going to die on me? The gold plated lead lasted probably 2 or 3 years. The cheaper one lasted about 6 months. I want something that will last over 10 years, but without paying a massive premium.

I have a Fender California lead that's lasted me 6 years already, but do they make longer leads than 3 meters? I need pretty long leads, at least 10 meters long. Does anyone know if Fender make leads this long, or know of other manufacturers who make reliable leads that are this length?

Thanks for any replies!
Fender American Special Telecaster w/ Bigsby
Fender MIM Jaguar
Digitech Whammy-->Korg Pitchblack Poly-->Dunlop Cry Baby-->Danelectro Pastrami Overdrive-->EHX Big Muff Pi-->Joyo Digital Delay
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III Red October Edition
My Fender California cable crapped out on me after about 2 years.

The only cable that lasts 10 years is the one you know how to fix. If you can solder, fixing a cable should be a piece of cake.

Otherwise, I'd recommend a Mogami cable. I have three, and they've all been good to me.

10m is pretty long for a cable. At that length you start getting serious treble loss.

And get rid of the Spider.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
And get rid of the Spider.

LOL'd

BTW, I had a Horizon cable, that had the umplug muting thing, and it seemed like it would last for centuries, but it died without any noticeable damage (probably, it got cut somewhere inside it), but it probably lasted 3 or 4 years. it was 6 meters long though...

so i don't think there's such a durable cable, but if you found it, please tell us
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
I'll second the vote for Mogami. Also, somewhat pricey, but good, is Monster. I normally don't push Monster Cable, but I've got one here that I've beat the heck out of and it still works. While plugged into my big pedal board, I've caught the cable twice with my foot. I caught it so hard, that it actually bent the 1/4" plug. However, it still works. This is the cable I use from the pedal board to my guitar. I don't think any cheap cable could take that kind of abuse. Looking at the cable, it has Prolink Monster Rock printed on it and a gold colored connector with a red label. I've never done that to any of my Mogami cables, but I've had them almost 6 years and none have died on me.

Regarding cable length... Raijouta is correct. Impedance loss will cause your tone to change for the worse with anything over about 18 feet. Try to maintain the shortest amount of cable possible between your guitar and amp.
it is unrealistic to expect a cord to last more than a year or so in gigging situations. making a cord over-engineered to last that long will cost too much money.

be realistic, get a cable with a lifetime warranty and trade it in when it acts up. i use spectraflex, they generally last ~2 years. if you gig across country, then use monster cables cuz they are by far the easiest cables to find on the road (they have the most dealers).

edit: ^ agreed. i think monster is overpriced and really not as great as advertised; but not a bad cable at all and easy to obtain.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Nov 26, 2011,
I've never done a heavy gigging schedule, but I've yet to have a Peavey cable go south on me. The first one I ever got is about ten years old and still going, albeit with a tiny bit of noise (old model. Their newer models are practically silent). That and a lifetime warranty make them my choice.

Then again, I've never tried any of the expensive stuff (Monster, etc), so my opinion is slightly biased.
Gear
Taylor 214CE
PRS SE 245, PRS Tremonti Custom
Carvin V3 short stack
Pedals
AMT R2|Morley Mark Tremonti Wah|Mojo Hand Rook|MXR Black Label Chorus|Source Audio EQ|TC-E Flashback, Hall of Fame & Vortex|VFE Enterprise|Way Huge Swollen Pickle

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
My only problem with wireless units is that most of them compress the signal. Unless you're willing to spend big bucks for a decent one, the cheapos aren't worth it.
Quote by mark66saints
I want something that will last over 10 years, but without paying a massive premium.

ಠ_ಠ
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Just get a cable with a solid warranty. I've been using Monster cables almost exclusively for a few years now, and have yet to see one crap out on me. If that ever happens, I'm happy knowing that I can walk into any guitar center, throw it across the counter, and get a new one.

Take care of your cables, studio wrap them, and they will last you.
Quote by KG6_Steven
My only problem with wireless units is that most of them compress the signal. Unless you're willing to spend big bucks for a decent one, the cheapos aren't worth it.

Those Line6 ones are pretty good. I've used Sennheissers, Shures and Nady in live situations. The only one that sounded as you say was the cheapo single channel Nady. If I was to buy one today I'd probably grab the Line6 relay. Seem pretty good value for money. I don't have a wireless anymore and cables piss me off. Always getting twisted and stomped on.
When I start gigging again I'll have to buy another wireless. The cable always seems to seek the top of the pedalboard too. It just pisses me off.
My biggest hassle with a wireless is that I always have at least three guitars on stage. With cables I can leave them all plugged in at all times (I use a rack). With wireless that means three links (arrrgh, my wallet!!) or moving the transmitter every time you change guitar. Still, it'd be worth it not to have to deal with a bloody cable. Cables suck.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i will catch some hate off of this, but i like my monsters. i have tons and tons of them. probably 10-15 20'ers or so and 7-10 speaker cables, and 8 patch cables. i won a lot of them in contests at sam ash forever ago, then a guy was selling his off of CL at 40% off of what they go for. needless to say i cleaned him out for everything 1/4" jack.

i have broken one in the 6 or so years. they got beat to hell.

the other reason why i like them is the no hassle warranty and literally ever music store within 20 miles carries monster, so i can go get it replaced and back in the studio in 20 mins.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Nov 27, 2011,
people complain that monsters are overpriced but hell if they are delivering quality who gives?

i payed $30 for a 3 foot speaker cable and its great. much thicker guage then any other brands cable and gold plated + the warranty
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
people complain that monsters are overpriced but hell if they are delivering quality who gives?

i payed $30 for a 3 foot speaker cable and its great. much thicker guage then any other brands cable and gold plated + the warranty

some people say that that the monster rock cables are tone altering (mid spike IIRC), but i can't imagine making enough of a difference. i have tried other cables just the 21' lead to the amp than a 21' going into nothing on a loop, just the other side, and i have done the same thing with monster, i didn't notice a difference, however my test was years ago and my ears have gotten better from a tone perspective. also some people might like the coloring of the tone and see it favorable, some not.

moogami are also very nice but are harder to find as not as many shops carry them. moogami is top tier, maybe better than monsters, but i just buy monsters when i need them because they are the only cable i use and have a lot of other monsters.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
get a mogami, solid cable or klotz and youll be happy for life. ive also tried monster but thats the only high end cable that has broken for me so i dont recomend em
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard
Powered by CAA OD100 standard+ , Mesa 2x12
Affected by Maxon OD808, Mad Professor Deep blue delay

I don't like Monsters because from what I have heard, they don't preserve tone any better than Live Wires, yet they cost 2x as much.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I use quite a few horizon cables, and they seem to last around a year, a few months longer if I'm lucky. I've had the same 12 foot monster cable for something like 8 years though, and it's the cable i use from my guitar to the pedalboard, so it's getting stepped on and coiled up more than the others. I've had 2 planet waves cables, and both of them have died within 2 weeks. I'll never buy planet waves stuff again.
Armor cables. Cheaper than mogamis, over engineered. Double shrink wrapped ends, resin injected connections, heavy duty techflex sleeving.

Otherwise, make your own!
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Learn to solder, you won't need to buy a cable ever again. Even if you do, is $20-$30 every 2 or 3 years really that unreasonable?
Wow, thanks for the huge response!

I should point out now that I live in Australia, and we have no distributor for Monster (that I know of). So even if they had warranty, the trouble I'd have to go to get the replacement wouldn't be worth it at all. But if they're as durable as some of you are saying, then I'll go for it.

Planet Waves do have a life time warranty on their higher-end leads, but I still don't want to have to be taking them back every 6 months for replacement. This really doesn't seem like a good solution to me.

And, for those people recommending soldering, the casing around the Planet Waves leads means that soldering is out of the question. And soldering's only going to help for breaks at either end of the lead.

And, yes, the Spider is on its way out. I'm hoping to be able to replace it by early 2012. It'll be out sooner if my leads stop breaking..
Fender MIM Jaguar
Digitech Whammy-->Korg Pitchblack Poly-->Dunlop Cry Baby-->Danelectro Pastrami Overdrive-->EHX Big Muff Pi-->Joyo Digital Delay
You can always cut the cable near the break and resolder from there.

Buying like £40 cables is stupid. Just get a £7 cable and a soldering iron. Job done.

If the cable breaks in the middle stop running it over with ur pc chair/standing on it/etc. No cable is going to withstand being abused like that.

If you cant get to the jack because theyre moulded just buy a neutrik for £2.
i'm guessing you're in the UK when you say "lead".

If so, award session/cleartone or kabl are a good bet for good quality cables without breaking the bank.

EDIT: cack you're in australia
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by mark66saints
So much for Planet Waves being good value for money.. I've had two Planet Waves leads break on me in the past 3-4 months. I don't do anything with my leads that could cause damage, and I treat them better than most guitarists I know. One of the leads that went was a top-of-the-range gold plated one, the other was the base model. I've had it with replacing leads, so I won't be replacing the latest one with another Planet Waves.

But the question is, what leads are out there that aren't going to die on me? The gold plated lead lasted probably 2 or 3 years. The cheaper one lasted about 6 months. I want something that will last over 10 years, but without paying a massive premium.

I have a Fender California lead that's lasted me 6 years already, but do they make longer leads than 3 meters? I need pretty long leads, at least 10 meters long. Does anyone know if Fender make leads this long, or know of other manufacturers who make reliable leads that are this length?

Thanks for any replies!

tl;dr

Spider killed the cables, that or you are playing jump rope with them.

I've had my 18 foot PW cables for 6 months, no problems.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Aussies say lead too. Took me a while to get used to saying cable on this forum too. All the yanks would be "a what?"

I still say cables/leads suck. They are for places where they aren't being moved around. From the guitar they are just bad, bad, bad. How can you spin without getting tangled in a cable? I repeat, cables suck.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Aussies say lead too. Took me a while to get used to saying cable on this forum too. All the yanks would be "a what?"

I still say cables/leads suck. They are for places where they aren't being moved around. From the guitar they are just bad, bad, bad. How can you spin without getting tangled in a cable? I repeat, cables suck.

^ This, however, unless you are playing a stadium, I always found wireless to be impractical
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
On the contrary, at small gigs cables are even more of a pita - well unless you don't move. At least on a big stage you can throw it out and detangle it a bit, on a cramped stage you end up caught like a fly in a spider's web.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

yeah i forgot that aussie english is probably closer to british english than american (just with a lot more abbreviations ).

Never actually tried wireless, but certainly if you jump about they're probably worth considering.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Still sounds like you're doing something wrong to me. Either way, they're Planet Waves; if they crap out you take them to any store that stocks them for a free replacement as they're guaranteed for life.
404: Sig not found.
Wireless systems cost a lot though, and when you add up the price of replacing the batteries.. Can you tell that I'm on a tight budget yet?

What would be perfect would be a way to transmit my sound wirelessly, but without a wireless unit, to my pedal board, and then have that signal magically going to my amp (which would not be a Line 6!), without a wireless unit.

I think I'm just going to go and buy the cheapest lead that's long enough that I can find. That way, if/when it breaks, I can try soldering, and if that doesn't work I can buy a replacement without too much pain to my hip pocket.
Fender MIM Jaguar
Here's a question, how are you rolling them up?
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Get a cable you can work on! Switchcraft are what I generally use. IDK about the actual cable itself even.

Point being I can pop open the end and fix it.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by Reincaster
Here's a question, how are you rolling them up?

With care! I worked in a theatre for about 5 years so I know what I'm doing with my leads, ie, not wrapping them around my arm.
The only real abuse that my leads take is being stepped on occasionally. And to be honest, I can't see what that should be a reason for them to break! You'd hope that modern leads would be durable enough to withstand that
Fender MIM Jaguar
idk what you are doing wrong. quite honestly, the cable that i have that just wont die is my first act cable i got from wal mart one day after my MONSTER CABLE crapped out on me. Ive gigged this bad boy, and I have had for three years, its still perfect. In my experience, cheap cables are worth it, though I agree with cath, wireless is mo betta
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by Guitarbaddie
^ This, however, unless you are playing a stadium, I always found wireless to be impractical

it is strange seeing all my 'bar gig' friends switching over to wireless, but i am now considered 'the artifact' that doesn't use a wireless setup now... never thought i'd see the day. btw, they all love it, say it's very practical and i haven't heard one bad thing about it yet (i was expecting to hear some gripe about battery life or something).

-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
it is strange seeing all my 'bar gig' friends switching over to wireless, but i am now considered 'the artifact' that doesn't use a wireless setup now... never thought i'd see the day. btw, they all love it, say it's very practical and i haven't heard one bad thing about it yet (i was expecting to hear some gripe about battery life or something).

I've heard complaints about tone loss
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
I've heard complaints about tone loss

you heard right, most people know a trick or 2 to correct it though.

the 'tone loss' is because of the lack of propogating the low impedance signal through a patch cord, so people either introduce a longer length of patchcord in the signal path to 'get the tone back' or some wireless systems seem to have a 'cable' button anyway that lets the signal act as if it is a low impedance signal going through a cable.

once you do one of these techniques most people stop complaining

-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
you heard right, most people know a trick or 2 to correct it though.

the 'tone loss' is because of the lack of propogating the low impedance signal through a patch cord, so people either introduce a longer length of patchcord in the signal path to 'get the tone back' or some wireless systems seem to have a 'cable' button anyway that lets the signal act as if it is a low impedance signal going through a cable.

once you do one of these techniques most people stop complaining

Bang on the money. Cheap ones aren't worth the effort but decent ones are fine. Most tone problems with decent ones are operator error.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification