Page 1 of 2
For me, as far as the finish goes, it's very important.

Now before you spit fire on me, hear me out.

The sound is above all most important, I won't argue with anybody there. However, guitars are pretty expensive, especially high end ones. For me, if I'm paying hundreds, maybe even thousands of dollars for anything, it better be nice looking.

Not that I would ever refuse an "ugly" guitar if it was given to me and sounds good, but when people say "who cares what it looks like," when somebody's picking a guitar, I never really understand how someone can feel that way.

All I'm sayin' is that if I'm spending some cash, the thing better be a beauty
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
I named my guitar after my GF once... It was tempremental, the neck was too fat, and I couldn't turn down the volume, just like her...
If a guitar looks bad to me then I'm not touching it. I don't know why anyone would willingly buy a guitar that they don't like the look of or that has a shoddy finish. Tone is so easy to modify, looks aren't.
Finish is equally important and useless. If I'm not attracted to an instrument because of a review, advertisement, or specifications, chances are I'm picking it up because it's sexy. But ultimately, I don't care. If something works, it works. Tone isn't easy to modify, and it's not simply a matter of changing up the pups all the time. Think about how silly denying yourself of a great sounding instrument because of how it looks sounds.
A good part of the reason I like my semi-hollows is the looks. If they don't sound good I don't want them, but if they don't look good I don't want them either.
Looks are like 40% of my decision to buy an instrument. If I think a guitar look stupid but sounds great, that's a dealbreaker. If a guitar looks amazing, but sounds like crap, well, I wouldn't buy it either. Now that I think about it, there's a great deal of guitars that I won't buy. They've gotta sound good and look good for me to think about buying them, though preferably, they should sound amazing, look beautiful and play like butter.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by Iommianity
Finish is equally important and useless. If I'm not attracted to an instrument because of a review, advertisement, or specifications, chances are I'm picking it up because it's sexy. But ultimately, I don't care. If something works, it works. Tone isn't easy to modify, and it's not simply a matter of changing up the pups all the time. Think about how silly denying yourself of a great sounding instrument because of how it looks sounds.

Same time, I refused to buy the Blacktop Tele with a rosewood fretboard and had to go to 4 different shops before I found a black one with a maple fretboard. I do agree with you though for the most part.
Looks are 20% of what I look for in my instruments since I prefer black w/ gold hardware on all my instruments.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
The two most important factors in a guitar, to me, are the comfort and features. Looks are still fairly important though. If I think it looks cool, I'm going to feel cool playing it.
its kind of a situational thing with me.

i don't care what condition it is in cosmetically as long as full functioning and isn't fretting out from use.

but if i am playing back round music at a a more classy bar or restaurant, i will bring "prettier" gear in respect of the facility.

if i am at an open mic, i always bring my LP, which is beat to hell considering i have only had it for three years, but it gets used and hopefully not too abused, but it definitely does suffer some abuse.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Well I would never buy a guitar that is simply ugly - what's the point of buying a guitar if you hate the look of it? I mean the reason companies have models in different finishes is because people have their own colour preference. Having said that, I also have to like the feel of a guitar. My favourite strat finish is white, but I hate the feel of maple fretboards and I'm not too big on their tone either. Despite the maple fretboard looking much better with the white body (to me atleast), I would definitely take the rosewood over it.
West Ham United
I care a lot but on guitars sub $1500 I'm willing to live with a few things, IE stupid McDonald's fretboard and inlays on my Loomis.

However, spending anymore then that I have this weird thing where I feel I might as well go custom, which is why instead of buying something like a Jp7 I've jumped straight into custom territory with the Vik.
Quote by Mehtabb
I care a lot but on guitars sub $1500 I'm willing to live with a few things, IE stupid McDonald's fretboard and inlays on my Loomis.

However, spending anymore then that I have this weird thing where I feel I might as well go custom, which is why instead of buying something like a Jp7 I've jumped straight into custom territory with the Vik.

What?
West Ham United
Look at the colour of the aged maple they use on the fretboard on the Loomis, looks EXACTLY like some shittier darker McDonald's maple.
Overall looks are like 80% to me. Tone doesn't bother me, because there are a million ways to alter tone, and the guitars natural wood has probably the least amount of impact, in comparison to what pickups you're using, your amp and FX, etc. It's easy to change pickups. But it's not that easy to find a guitar that makes you jizz every time you look at it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I'm a huge tone guy so, generally, I don't care how a guitar looks. It's all about how it sounds and how it plays.

Plus I like the simple solid color (think strats and telis) look. I think it's pretty classy.
Well, first of all, since we're talking about tools we use to create music, IMO sound >>>> all.
Having said that, if I'm in a guitar store and I see a yellow BC Rich guitar, no matter if it sounds awesome, I probably wouldn't even bother trying it.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
Sorry, a guitar HAS to be sexy looking (for me, anyway). I mean, the sound and the feel of the instrument have to be there too, but the paint and the finish are equally important.
If you want tone wear a blindfold while picking a guitar.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Quite important. No matter how good it sounds, if it doesn't appeal to me visually, it's not for me.

This has to do with the shape mostly. I hate BC Rich Warlocks (well, almost eveything by BC Rich is painful to look at actually), Dean Razorbacks and that kind of 00ber br00tz stuff. Althoug sometimes a nice finish will make it look better; for example, I usually dislike Les Pauls, but with a Red Wine or Alpine White finish, they're awesome.

And I don't like finishes that are just a layer of paint, except when it's just white. I love the look of a good flamed or curly maple top, like this, or a nice paintjob like this, while this looks kind of boring.
I have no sig
Quote by LordPino
Well, first of all, since we're talking about tools we use to create music, IMO sound >>>> all.

so you'd use a barely playable guitar if it sounded nice?

looks don't really mean anything to me in terms of how much i enjoy playing a guitar, how it feels to play and how it responds to the way i play it is the most important thing for me.

however there is a certain extent where if you're playing professionally you have to look the part, be it the clothes you wear or the guitar you play etc.. if the guitar looks "out of place" so to speak, then so will you, and then it's possible that you'll stand out for the wrong reasons. so whether you like it or not (and i don't like it!), looks are important in some situations.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
If a guitar looks good, you're going to play it more often. So it is pretty important.

That is all.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
I have to at least like the look. I spend a lot of time playing, so I like to enjoy the looks as well as sound. Thats not to say I wont take a guitar who plays great and doesnt look too hot, though it probably wouldnt get as much play time as a better looking axe lol.
To me, it's extremely important. I'm not gunna pick up a guitar unless it looks nice and is well finished.
looks are secondary to feel and sound. color isn't a dealbreaker with me and to a lesser extent body shape. it would have to pretty hideous for me to not even try it. the neck on the other hand absolutely must be to my liking. not comfortable then it's a no go not matter how great it looks. sound of course is very important. as long as i feel that the sound is there even if the pickups aren't great then it's ok. as long as the potential for greatness can be heard pickups can be changed.

sure i like a spiffy looking axe as much as the next guy but in the end the sound and feel are more important. rather have a beat up pink guitar that plays great and sounds even better than a great looking guitar that is just average everywhere else.
It's like a woman. Looks are not the only important feature, but I won't stick my willie in her if she's butt ugly, fat and hairy. She doesn't have to be a super model. In fact, if she would be a super model, I'd be scared to break her Just like a $10k gutiar.

I've played some really good Eiphone Les Pauls, and even owned a few, but I just couldn't get past the headstock. Deal breaker for me.

So I guess that looks are very important for me, but not the only factor. She has to have the sound, features and feel great in my hands. And if she swallows, bonus. Edit: Still haven't found a guitar that swallows yet. I'm sure the Japanese are working on that as we speak.
Last edited by JackoMBA at Nov 27, 2011,
Quote by Ragu35
For me, as far as the finish goes, it's very important.

Now before you spit fire on me, hear me out.

The sound is above all most important, I won't argue with anybody there. However, guitars are pretty expensive, especially high end ones. For me, if I'm paying hundreds, maybe even thousands of dollars for anything, it better be nice looking.

Not that I would ever refuse an "ugly" guitar if it was given to me and sounds good, but when people say "who cares what it looks like," when somebody's picking a guitar, I never really understand how someone can feel that way.

All I'm sayin' is that if I'm spending some cash, the thing better be a beauty

I agree with you

Obviously how the thing sounds and plays are of paramount importance, but once you have that, it might as well look badass too
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Sound and ease of playing is the most important to me. That said, looks are pretty important to me because if a guitar looks good then I want to play it more. Eye candy is always good.
Sound and playability are important to me too, more than the looks. I have two Carvins that looks good and plays good but my custom handmade Harper smoke 'em.

Not much on looks but plays very well. By the way, I stained and shellacked it to bring out the ribbons.

Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
for me looks has 10% the rest is sound and how it plays.. what good is it to have a guitar that looks nice if it will sound like crap and not feel good... rather spend money on a good sounding guitar and one that feels right over looks any day....
Guitars: IBANEZ RGA42FM
Strings: Elixir Nanoweb 9-42
AMP'S: Peavey Vyper
Effects: Zoom G3
If it sounds good and looks i'd buy it.
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
Quote by OldRocker
Sound and playability are important to me too, more than the looks. I have two Carvins that looks good and plays good but my custom handmade Harper smoke 'em.

Not much on looks but plays very well. By the way, I stained and shellacked it to bring out the ribbons.

That a pretty cool looking guitar. And it looks like it has a upside down music man headstock.
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
Thanks. I really like it, it's light too (6.4 lbs).
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
looks matter.

who dates the fat chick because she has a great personality?

*crickets*
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Heres how I look at it...
If it's going to be something that I am investing in and will be putting time and effort into playing it for countless of hours... I don't want to play something and caress something day in and day out that doesn't appeal to my eye!
Marshall 2008 MG100HDFX 100W Half-Stack
Epiphone 1998 Korina SG
Epiphone 1966 Custom Shop SG Reissue (Heritage Cherry)
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Black (Plain-top)
Epiphone DR-100
Taylor Big Baby
Taylor Baby
For an amp, looks are maybe 10%. For a guitar, probably 50/50. The more I'm spending, the more I care.
Quote by grohl1987
If a guitar looks bad to me then I'm not touching it. I don't know why anyone would willingly buy a guitar that they don't like the look of or that has a shoddy finish. Tone is so easy to modify, looks aren't.

agreed! just change some pots and pickups and you have a whole new instrument. Also the ESP's LTD line has the same tone as the ESP standards but most of what you're paying for is that they have a custom shop where they can change the colour/finish.
Page 1 of 2