Lets assume there is a $400 christmas budget this year. New guitar (ESP LTD ec series) or new amp (suggestions?)

currently have:

Schecter C1 Hellraiser
VHT special 6 ultra
mxr fullbore metal
mxr carbon copy
crybaby 535q

i play pretty much entirely metal but cleans are important to me as well
I'd say the Vypyr 75 Watt. But I'll be honest man, if you're gonna eventually want to play in a band or play shows or anything, you're gonna want to save your money and save up for a nice tube amp.
Quote by King Donkey
New amp, can't help with suggestions though mate.

i would totally agree with you in 99% of situations, but am thinking that if his sig is accurate, he only has one guitar. IMO having a backup is important, gigging or not.

your tone would benefit more from a new amp.

but you would be putting yourself in a better situation with a second guitar.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i would totally agree with you in 99% of situations, but am thinking that if his sig is accurate, he only has one guitar. IMO having a backup is important, gigging or not.

your tone would benefit more from a new amp.

but you would be putting yourself in a better situation with a second guitar.

Didn't catch that, good point. But honestly I reckon if he's totally happy with his current guitar then I don't see the point in spending too big a sum of money in getting a backup. An EC1000 is a bit too expensive for me to consider just a backup guitar, so if he were to go down that route then I would suggest going for a less dear model.
West Ham United
I think that my major problem really is tone at this point. the tone on the amp is good at low volume but once there is natural tube break up the tone sounds like shit. and i REFUSE to ever buy another modeling amp ESPECIALLY the vypyrs. had one, it was the absolute worst money i have ever spent in my life.

so, at a $4-500 range, what would be a good option? i've been looking at the blackstar ht 20/40 combos. I'm not really a huge fan of 6505's nor most other peavey's I've played. i just want really tight, high gain amp with decent cleans.

combo or head doesn't matter
must have 2 channel footswtichable

also, all tube
Used Jet City Amps JCA50 if you can go used. If you can't, see if you can save some more cash, they're just outside that price range ($600 new).

Or you could go for a 6505+ 112.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by andrerist
I think that my major problem really is tone at this point. the tone on the amp is good at low volume but once there is natural tube break up the tone sounds like shit. and i REFUSE to ever buy another modeling amp ESPECIALLY the vypyrs. had one, it was the absolute worst money i have ever spent in my life.

so, at a $4-500 range, what would be a good option? i've been looking at the blackstar ht 20/40 combos. I'm not really a huge fan of 6505's nor most other peavey's I've played. i just want really tight, high gain amp with decent cleans.

combo or head doesn't matter
must have 2 channel footswtichable

also, all tube

you know your tone better than us, and that's what matters.

this will help us help you better.

nearest city?
main genre?
gig or no?
willing to buy used?
we know your budget ($400-500)
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
My thought, based on what you have and your quest for tone, is to sell some of your gear and add it to your budget. Then buy either a Blackstar HT-5 or other amp in that price range that suits your needs. You have a bit of equity in what you have -- so either trading it in or selling it is an option I wouldn't neglect. It all of a sudden could put $900/$1000 new amps in your price range if found used.
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
thing the is that i am asking for this for a christmas gift. asking for something used is difficult to do because by the time it may or may not end up getting purchased it could be long gone.

preferably new
nearest city is Nashua, NH
will be used for gigging here and there but 70% home use along with occasional jamming with drummer and guitarists
genre is mostly metal core type stuff. think "all that remains"

also, to the ht-5, I'm really not wanting to go with a hybrid amp. just not my cup of tea, all tube all the time.

and to the jet city, would that have enough gain for what i'm looking for? ya i have a pedal for that but i'd rather use the gain coming from the amp and not need to add much aside from a tube screamer or a light OD
Quote by andrerist
thing the is that i am asking for this for a christmas gift. asking for something used is difficult to do because by the time it may or may not end up getting purchased it could be long gone.

preferably new
nearest city is Nashua, NH
will be used for gigging here and there but 70% home use along with occasional jamming with drummer and guitarists
genre is mostly metal core type stuff. think "all that remains"

also, to the ht-5, I'm really not wanting to go with a hybrid amp. just not my cup of tea, all tube all the time.

and to the jet city, would that have enough gain for what i'm looking for? ya i have a pedal for that but i'd rather use the gain coming from the amp and not need to add much aside from a tube screamer or a light OD

Unfortunately, the 1x12 6505/+ combo is pretty much the best option for you. I know you don't want to read that, but its true. It can had in your budget if its on sale, the 6505 is like metalcore's holy amp, its loud for gigging, its tight its heavy. Everything you have described is pointing at it in big bold neon lights.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I heard the 6505 combo isn't so great... Haven't actually played one, but everyone seems to say the head is much better. Though the head is also squarely outside your budget.

With only a $400 budget you're very limited in what is available for a new, all tube metalcore amp. You could see if they'd give you a GC gift card and add some cash to it. There are some jet city amps that I've heard good things about if you could stretch the budget by another $100-200. Haven't played them personally though, so I'm not sure how well they would work for metalcore...

TL;DR - what you need is a new amp. And a bigger budget.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
I'll assume we're past it given that everyone is talking about amps, but a question: what is wrong with your Schecter?

You should of course realise the LTD's and Schecters are made in the same factory (though I've seen some Taiwanese Schecters around lately, and BOY are they shit). Take it from someone that owns and plays both brands, there's really not going to be a huge difference between your C1 and any LTD you pick up.

And yeah, for amps, the usual recommendation from me is a JCA22H with a tubescreamer in front. Maxon 808/820 will make it plenty brootz.
Quote by andrerist
Lets assume there is a $400 christmas budget this year. New guitar (ESP LTD ec series) or new amp (suggestions?)

currently have:

Schecter C1 Hellraiser
VHT special 6 ultra
mxr fullbore metal
mxr carbon copy
crybaby 535q

i play pretty much entirely metal but cleans are important to me as well

Sell: VHT, fullbore, carbon copy, crybaby

^ Take cash, plus $400. Vypyr tube 60 + Sanpera II

Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Kikuta
I'll assume we're past it given that everyone is talking about amps, but a question: what is wrong with your Schecter?

You should of course realise the LTD's and Schecters are made in the same factory (though I've seen some Taiwanese Schecters around lately, and BOY are they shit). Take it from someone that owns and plays both brands, there's really not going to be a huge difference between your C1 and any LTD you pick up.

And yeah, for amps, the usual recommendation from me is a JCA22H with a tubescreamer in front. Maxon 808/820 will make it plenty brootz.

i want the LTD to have a les paul style guitar with passives. my schecter has emg 81/89 and as great as it is, i don't feel that it is super versatile. but again, that may very well be my amp.

and to the vypyr suggestion, i have absolutely no need for any sort of modeling amp whatsoever. the amount of crap loaded onto a modeler like that takes away from the true single tone that i am after. modeling amps are jacks of all trades and master of none. i know the tone i'm looking for and i don't need 100 other tones bundled in with it as well and various effects i'm never going to use
Quote by andrerist
i want the LTD to have a les paul style guitar with passives. my schecter has emg 81/89 and as great as it is, i don't feel that it is super versatile. but again, that may very well be my amp.

and to the vypyr suggestion, i have absolutely no need for any sort of modeling amp whatsoever. the amount of crap loaded onto a modeler like that takes away from the true single tone that i am after. modeling amps are jacks of all trades and master of none. i know the tone i'm looking for and i don't need 100 other tones bundled in with it as well and various effects i'm never going to use

Used Peavey Valveking 1x12 + decent speaker swap (Non-celestion) + Bad Monkey OD(Seems popular and cheap)

Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90