So my mom was watching a kenny chesney concert as i got in from work. so i sat down just to rest and obviously the only thing interesting me is the guitars and gear. on stage they had a line of bad cats. however the camera turned around to show the side of the stage and there were 2 dual rectifiers sittings there stacked and fired up? the thing that confuses me is i dont think i heard a single ounce of pre amp distortion?

oh and this confused me even more lol?
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
A few reasons, I'd bet, none of them having to do with tone:
-Sponsorship money. Bad Cat can't really fork over cash like Mesa or Peavey can to use their products.
-Easily available backup amps. Any guitar center will be able to replace your melted down Peavey.
-Stage presence. A Bad Cat 2x12 combo may sound best, but most non-guitarists (and a fair number of players, as well) will be a lot more impressed by that wall of Peavey stacks, even if they're not plugged in to anything.
-House amps. Depending on what kind of show it is, the venue might have a bunch of amps lined up for the bands to use to cut down on setup time. Mesa amps would be a common choice for that sort of thing.

Or they're actually using them. Dual recs will cover most types of music, and if what you want is a nice loud clean, they'll do fine. You don't have to use the OD channel with the gain way up.
Running them with the volume dimed and using the gain as the volume knob I suppose. Sounds perfectly acceptable if you want a thick clean tone. It's surprising what amps you can use to get interesting clean tones if you know how to twiddle the knobs. You'll often find the tone you were searching for in the most unexpected place.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
its no different than Molly Hatchet whom i saw last night which their lead guitarist played an RG through two 5150's. what the hell???

serious
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
its no different than Molly Hatchet whom i saw last night which their lead guitarist played an RG through two 5150's. what the hell???

serious

But how did it sound?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by trashedlostfdup

serious

thats the last thing id expect them to use? hah and i guess i know what you mean tonewise
Quote by travs2448

Quote by diceksox1809

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6

Quote by jpatan
Quote by Cathbard
But how did it sound?

that guitarist sounded like shit. the rhythm guitarist sounded a lot better with his marshall.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by travs2448
thats the last thing id expect them to use? hah and i guess i know what you mean tonewise

yea it is the dumbest thing. first off he had a trem on the ibanez, and never used it once during the whole show. and with the 5150???

it was terrible tone.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup

serious

Brutal.
West Ham United
I remember watching a country music video, with a guy using an Crimson Swirl Jackson SL1.
Gear:

Early 90's B.C. Rich STIII N.J. Series, Red Sparkle
1988 Charvel Model 4, Firecrackle - Retired
2003-04s Ibanez RG1570 Prestige, Gray Nickel
Line 6 Spidervalve HD100 MK1 with Marshall VS412
It seems to be pretty common. Toby keith's guitarist (not himself) plays krank revolutions, or at least did play them. Like others have said, you don't have to play with the channel gain dimed. On the other hand, the variety of guitar tones you will find in country vary from almost thrash levels of distortion all the way down to jazz chorus clean as clean gets. Its not so much that country music doesn't use distortion, more that they eq their tone so vastly different from a metal or hard rock player's tone that most people don't realize how distorted the tone is.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
The guys who usually play for country singers usually have other projects outside from playing with country singers, projects that most likely involve playing modern rock or metal of some sort, and they don't feel a reason to buy a whole new inventory of guitar gear for such a small part in a band they most likely won't be in for a little over a year.

I bet when that guy is finished touring with whatever country band he plays for, he goes home and cranks some Dying Fetus on those 6505's.
country music isn't all tele's and twins.

mesas have great cleans, they work well in mid-gain situations as well.

the problem really, is that most of UG has pre-determined ideas of what amp goes with what genre.

and that is total bullshit.

believe it or not, not everything that's a bandwagon UG belief is right, or wrong.

i wouldn't call ted nuggent's music death metal, but he's used 5150s for years.

turn off the computer, turn on your amp and try learning more than chugga chugga squeely squeely open G divebomb once in a while. lol
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
lol at molly hatchet and garth brooks bringin tha bRoOtZ!!! i could understand the dual recs when i think about it but i just fail to see how a 6505/5150 could nail that country tone. im mean they do have a Very specific voicing
Quote by travs2448

Quote by diceksox1809

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6

Quote by jpatan
Quote by jpatan

This all day
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by travs2448
lol at molly hatchet and garth brooks bringin tha bRoOtZ!!! i could understand the dual recs when i think about it but i just fail to see how a 6505/5150 could nail that country tone. im mean they do have a Very specific voicing
The fizz of the 6505's distortion is comparable to the foam head of Bud Light being poured into a glass, making it perfect for country music.
my sister was watching the country music awards and so every now and then i'd check the tv for gear.

brad paisley had what looked like a trainwreck on stage. it was so dark on his amp i couldn't really tell. maybe it's the new Z wreck???

then this other band....i can't remember the name, one guitarist had 2 mesa recto halfstacks and the other had 2 budda stacks.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by gregs1020
country music isn't all tele's and twins.

mesas have great cleans, they work well in mid-gain situations as well.

the problem really, is that most of UG has pre-determined ideas of what amp goes with what genre.

and that is total bullshit.

believe it or not, not everything that's a bandwagon UG belief is right, or wrong.

i wouldn't call ted nuggent's music death metal, but he's used 5150s for years.

turn off the computer, turn on your amp and try learning more than chugga chugga squeely squeely open G divebomb once in a while. lol

+1

Pretty much what I was getting at.
Quote by travs2448

kinda hit the nail right on the ole head right there. not being a dick but you are right. pre-determined outcome fail.

plug a strat into one.

Quote by Ian_the_fox
The fizz of the 6505's distortion is comparable to the foam head of Bud Light being poured into a glass, making it perfect for country music.

wanna make babies?
Last edited by gregs1020 at Nov 27, 2011,
yeah but gregs he said "that country tone".

There is only one.

5150 is not it.

When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
yeah but gregs he said "that country tone".

There is only one.

5150 is not it.

maybe in the 50's there was one.

country music isn't what most people who don't listen to it much think it is.

my peters, which a lot of people think of as a metal amp, excels at any genre i've thrown at it. jazz, country, blues, chugga chugga, VH, name it.

i bet with a strat i could get a convincing hendrix tone out of a 5150.

but again, i'm not afraid to spin the eq and gain knobs around to things most UG people consider blasphemy.

Lets do a test. compare Brad Paisley's tone to Zac Browns on sic em on a chicken. now compare that to keith urbans lead tone. All completely different. I'd be willing to bet with some nice tight single coils and a 5150, you could get keiths, the guitar solos on Zacs could be had with a high gain marshall, and we all know brad's is some variation of a "wreck" amp. Country hasn't been acoustics strumming three chords in a long time.
Yeah these days country tones are really no different from any other modern rock tones.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
A 5150 would be hard to dial in I'd think but if you knew what you were doing I couldn't imagine it being that hard to dial in a Mesa to get a nice tone, especially if you were after something a little different to the hoi poloi.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by InanezGuitars44
Yeah these days country tones are really no different from any other modern rock tones.

thank you.
In general, country ain't all that different from modern rock these days. Just add a southern drawl and maybe some more double stops and lyrics about beating your wife in a drunken rage and you got country.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
cowboy hats

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
I was at a country show recently and the main act ran only Blackstars and the lead guitarist was switching out six different PRS's the whole night too. The guys before them had a Dr. Z and a couple Buddhas too. Not a single Fender twin in the bunch
Gretsch 5120
Fender Jazzmaster
MIM Fender Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
Misc Pedals
The guys before them had a Dr. Z and a couple Buddhas too.

Well, Dr Z's are actually extremely popular with country players. It's endorsed by Joe Walsh and Brad Paisley, for god's sakes.

And its headquarters is a 20 minute drive from where I live
Last edited by Brainpolice2 at Nov 30, 2011,
i don't know why a Dr Z wouldn't be a choice of a country player.
Jason Aldean's guitarists use Mesa Recto's (maybe Road Kings/Roadsters -- something with the metal grill) and PRSi. Wasn't that a recipe for nu-metal back in the day?