Hey y'all!

So this is my first foray into the GB&C Community, and I hope it will be a good one!

The story behind this project starts way back around Christmas of '08 at a drunken band practice. My band was preparing for a show at a Boxing Day dance and the liquor was flowing freely. After a very intense jam on Killing in the Name, my guitar strap slipped off of its pegs and my LTD Ax-50 hit the ground at a very weird angle.

This was the result of that little accident:
(Invalid img)

Fast-forward almost 3 years. I've worked up the ambition to see what I can do with my broken guitar. With a little bit of sand paper, carpenter's glue, and some wood-fill, this is what I was able to come up with:

Since taking that picture, I've sanded it even and cleaned it up real well. I then handed it over to my friend who works at an auto body shop painting cars. He agreed to paint it up for me. This is the design I came up with:

When I get the guitar back from being painted, I will post pictures; as well as my plans for electronics and such.

Thanks for reading!
Quote by Kensai
I'm no fancy doctor, but it sounds like you've got the clap.
Very nice design. Consider to buy strap locks to avoid such accident.
the design looks good, but sorry to hear it broke :/
I agree with Laterr, get some Strap Locks
Quote by Laterr
Very nice design. Consider to buy strap locks to avoid such accident.

Thank you! Ironically, I bought strap locks the day that it broke, but was too "busy" drinking to put them on... -_-

After talking it over with my painter friend, I decided to go with a different color scheme on the design. Instead of Red with black stripes and outlines, I went with a tuxedo black and orange crush stripes and outlines. Apparently he's already finished the orange color, so I will go see him tomorrow and take a picture of what's been done so far.

For now, I'm going to use the old neck that came with the guitar. I haven't had any problems with it, so I'm hoping I can just throw it back on and do a quick setup and such. Eventually I want to customize a neck from Warmoth, but I don't have the money to do it now. I'll also be re-using the hardware until I have the money to upgrade.

As for electronics, I know I want EMGs, but I am not 100% certain which ones I should go with. I've been thinking about the Zakk Wylde set. Any suggestions?
Quote by Kensai
Last edited by hushie_619 at Nov 28, 2011,
Id suggest the new EMG hetfield set. Rob Chapman did a video about them where he played with EMG 81/60 then had the tech at andersons switch them out with the Hetfield set so you can hear a direct comparison with them through the same guitar, amp, and settings.

Heres the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCECXsKM_y0
Last edited by Darkdevil725 at Nov 28, 2011,
^Nice vid. I do like how the Hetfield set sound. I don't think I'm willing to spend the extra $100 on them, however.
Quote by Kensai
So it's been a while since I've updated this thread. Had a couple of problems with the paint. It's all been figured out now. Here's the color:

Will post more as everything is finished.
Quote by Kensai
it split with the grain, through the weakest part of the guitar body, where the control cavity is and the shortest length of solid wood. hit it with enough force in the right place to put strain across the weak line and BOOM end result is the first picture
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
that's so cool, you're turning a crappy experience into a good one. nice
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence