Page 1 of 2
About a week ago, one of my UG bros sent me a youtube link, containing music that he described as "absolutely horrifying." Music had never really scared me before - I'd heard Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima, and though it sounded creepy, it never truly unsettled me. I had also heard Stalaggh, the extreme noise metal band that recruits mental patients to scream in their songs. I suppose it was unsettling at first, but the shrieks of nutcases got old after a while.

So, not surprisingly, I opened the link not expecting much. It's called "The Dream of Jacob," and it's by Penderecki, who also composed Threnody - So I know I'm in for something creepy, at least.

The song begins playing. Indeed, it's eerie. I start reading the description and comments. Learn a little about the background and interpretations.

It was inspired by the following Biblical quote: "Then Jacob awoke from his sleep and said, 'Surely the Lord is in this place; and I did not know it.' And he was afraid, and said, 'This is none other than the house of God, and this is the gate of heaven.'" Essentially, the story goes as such: Jacob dreams about a ladder to heaven, on which angels are climbing up and down. God talks to him. He wakes up, and realizes, well, that it really was God that he speaking to. And upon realizing it, he becomes overcome with horror and awe.

And it makes perfect sense, doesn't it? Can you imagine talking to ANY sort of god? It would be absolutely, overwhelmingly terrifying. There's no way you'd be able to fully comprehend that sort of thing, it'd be like trying to contain infinity within your mind. Or some shit.

And the song manages to capture all of that. Neither Threnody nor Stalaggh nor anything I've heard comes even remotely close to this. For the best effect, I'd suggest listening w/ headphones, alone, in a dark room.

tl;dr This song is scary, listen to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOTQ9TVkG98

But this can't be the scariest out there. Pit, show me the scariest songs you've heard.
Last edited by RedDeath9 at Nov 27, 2011,
I honestly don't see what's so scary about it, it just seemed like some generic horror movie music. It could also be that I'm incredibly tired. Anyways, Henry Hall has some really creppy songs like "Here comes the boogey man" and "The teddy bears picnic"
The Dream of Jacob actually is kinda eerie...

A couple of my friends get uncomfortable when Black Sabbath (the actual song) comes on.
West Ham United
huh, that tune actually does have some serious suspense o.o

and why does the teddy bears picnic scare you, suicide

anyways, maybe not scary, but i think discordance axis' first release just sounded like pure misery. not something i can listen to more than like, once a month, but its definately powerful and leaves some some of auditory and emotional imprint http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j36b94VKXqk
I peed a little. Just a drop.

Honestly thought, I didn't. It sounds like horror movie music, none of which is actually scary. If it was paired with a good psychological thriller, it might have more effect, but I didn't find anything scary about it.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
try taking a composition class. it will make this seem like just another long piece of music you have to analyze. school takes the magic outta music =(
"when i lay myself to sleep, i pray that i dont go to deep...
LIGHTNING HOUSE!!!"

~Michael Stipe- R.E.M
the final sound by the cure is great (actually this was an unofficial intro to "a forest" )

actually the whole seventeen seconds album has a really haunting atmosphere to it
:3
██░▒▒░░░░░░░░░░▒████████▓▓██
▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░▒████████▓▓
▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▓█████▒██▓▓
█▓▒▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▓██▒▒▒██▓▓
██▒▒▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒█▓▒▓▒██
▓█▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▒▒░▒█▓░▒▒▓▓██
▓▓▓▒██▓▓▓▓▒▓██▓▓▓▒▒▒░▒▒▒▒▒░▓▓▓
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz0LG1uL5KU

I just find it unsettling. This is one of my favorite songs, but I don't know, I just get very vivid imagery from it.

And most of what was posted barely qualifies as music....

Infact, a lot of Opeth has the same impact on me.....
Quote by Valid12891
I wish I had an extra sensitive third nipple, and a girl who was into that sort of thing.

Quote by _Ixnay_
In Russia, Winter Cold + Vodka + Big-Chested Women = No problem.

Book of shadows 2?
O_o
Last edited by fretsofthebeast at Nov 27, 2011,
Quote by fretsofthebeast
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz0LG1uL5KU

I just find it unsettling. This is one of my favorite songs, but I don't know, I just get very vivid imagery from it.

And most of what was posted barely qualifies as music....

Infact, a lot of Opeth has the same impact on me.....

I love that song. I can't help but imagine the part of the story where the character is running into a haunted forest to escape the hounds.

I think some of the songs off Damnation have an eerie sound to them as well.

As for Penderecki, I LOVE his work.

Dem quarter-tones.
lol was late one night and i was looking for some studying music so i decided to put on some yen pox

20 sec in i was just like fuck that shyt
Quote by vagelier
Idioteque by Radiohead creeps me right out, but in a good way

"Climbing Up the Walls" does it for me.
The Caretaker - Stairway to the Stars is a very creepy record.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl_Ah6NsCWk

A Stairway To Stars is a collection of old ballroom and dance 78rpm records released anywhere between 1920 and 1940 which have been manipulated, slowed down and re-sampled into beautifully creepy ambient pieces which while instantly recognisable, are completely original in both their construction and feel.
Krzysztof Penderecki is a master composer indeed. Dream of Jacob is a great piece, but I think Anaklasis is my favorite.

He and Jonny Greenwood are supposedly making an album that's getting released pretty soon too. Can't wait for that.
While Penderecki and Stravinsky do it well...

The scariest/most downright frightening music I've ever heard has to be from Gnaw Their Tongues. Nothing else even comes close.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Tiptoes Through the Tulips.

srsly
Quote by asator
YOU'RE A CUNT AND STUFF LESPAUL1216.

It's okay because whatever, forever
Page 1 of 2