Hello! I've been listening to more jazz lately, and I would like to learn to play it. Not only because I love the genre, but also because I think it would improve my playing, since I mainly stick to a few genres.

So, can anyone recommend me some good jazz songs that's not too hard on bass?
I do like a challenge though.

Hello!

You can do a couple of things:

You can buy a Realbook and walk on the chords. This way you'll have tons of major jazz standards to choose from, including many that you've probably heard of.
http://www.amazon.com/Real-Book-Bass-Clef-Sixth/dp/0634060767

Also, you can buy/download the Jamey Aebersold Play-a-Long tracks. Bass is on the left (or right, im not sure) stereo side of the track, and you can turn it off and walk with each track.

Cheers
The Chicken is a great one to learn, also look at all of Jaco's work for great jazz bass work.
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman "StatusRay" Stingray 4 - Carbon Fibre Neck
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
almost everything from Maceo Parker, although it's a little more funky
Last edited by z0d1ac at Nov 27, 2011,
Quote by Killerfridge
The Chicken is a great one to learn, also look at all of Jaco's work for great jazz bass work.

brace for controversy!

But +1 for real book, every notable standard you'll want in there
Quote by z0d1ac
almost everything from Maceo Parker, although it's a little more funky

Found this

Pretty much excactly what I was looking for. Thank you, good sir.
Are you looking for straight on solo or comping?

Throwing a few more names into the mix, check out Oscar Pettiford (Tricotism is great) and Charles Mingus. Now Mingus is an acquired taste for some (I happen to love him), but worth checking out (Haitian Fight Song is a good playing to start).

And if you just want some open mouth moments, check out Scott Lafaro, esp his work with Bill Evans. I'd personally sell my soul and then some to play like Lafaro.