Hey, I have a Peavey Valveking 100 Head and a Marshall 1960B Cab. On my head there's a 3 way selector switch, and it's 4Ohms, 8Ohms and 16Ohms.
My cab has 2 inputs the left input is 4Ohms, and the right input is 16 Ohms.
This means I can set my amp to 4Ohms or 16Ohms.

I just wondered if it'd make any difference which I selected? Would it affect the tone? Which one should I use?

Thanks, Ash.
As far as I can tell, as long as both match I don't think it affects tone, just make sure they are both set to the same thing.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
I have and didn't really hear any difference, I just wondered if I played it at maybe a really loud volume it'd make a difference, but so far I haven't pushed my amp above half way cause it's rather loud, haha.
At 4 ohms you will get the most watts out of your amp ,(Example) my bass amp is 450 watts @ ohms and 300 @ 8 ohms.. It's a little louder at 4 ohms.
Luna Andromeda dragon bass
Schecter Omen Extreme
Fender strat
Fender Labrea electic/acoustic
Peavey tour 450
Peavey tour 410/115
Galien-kruger Backline 600
Black Heart BH15h
Gibson Les Paul gold top (Knock off)
If each jack has a different impedance, is that a stereo cab? Like, one jack is 4 ohms stereo, or 16 ohm mono??? I only say this because if you use the wrong jack on a stereo cab, you'll only be using half the speakers.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by roaddawg07
At 4 ohms you will get the most watts out of your amp ,(Example) my bass amp is 450 watts @ ohms and 300 @ 8 ohms.. It's a little louder at 4 ohms.
Then you have a SS amp.

The impedance switch on a tube amp changes the tap on the output transformer. As long as the load matches there is no difference in output power.

Quote by jpatan
If each jack has a different impedance, is that a stereo cab? Like, one jack is 4 ohms stereo, or 16 ohm mono??? I only say this because if you use the wrong jack on a stereo cab, you'll only be using half the speakers.
On a 1960 there is a 4 ohm input (parrallel connection) and a 16 ohm one (series/parallel). When you switch it to stereo mode each jack is 8 ohm with one jack connected to two speakers and the other input to the other two.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Nov 27, 2011,
some claim that if you run at 16 then you are using all of the output transformer's taps and therefore 'tapping' into the full potential of your OT.

others claim that at 4 ohms you have less resistance so that is better for some reason.

mostly it is just guitar myth i think

but yeah, what Cath said
And others will claim that because the 16 ohm tap is using more coils and therefore has more inductance you lose some top end. I've never been able to pick the difference myself.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Well, slightly off topic but.. Another thing ive picked up, is that when i'm playing, the tone changes from where i'm hearing it. As in, if my head is above the cab, i get a really nice beefy tone, and the further to the floor I go it seems to lose the beef/power, and gain more of a sort of.. high end fuzz, I feel like the tones not consistent from all areas of my amp when i'm playing.

Is this common with tube amps? This is my first tube and i haven't had it for more than 2 weeks.
That's a function of the speakers, not the amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Chasing Shadows
Well, slightly off topic but.. Another thing ive picked up, is that when i'm playing, the tone changes from where i'm hearing it. As in, if my head is above the cab, i get a really nice beefy tone, and the further to the floor I go it seems to lose the beef/power, and gain more of a sort of.. high end fuzz, I feel like the tones not consistent from all areas of my amp when i'm playing.

Is this common with tube amps? This is my first tube and i haven't had it for more than 2 weeks.

Completely normal for any amp. My Marshall 4x12 V30 sounded awful when I stand within 8 feet of it, completely dull. But at the back of the room the treble is slicing people's heads off! Read up on micing a guitar amp and you'll find out how much variation there is in sound - that's why you see touring artists with sticky tape on their cabs to show exactly where to put the mic.

I used to be well known for being too loud at band practice. I took years to realise that when a valve combo is 8ft behind you, pointing at you ankles the sound you here won't be good. I now make sure that the amp is leaning back and pointing straight at my head and I now get asked to turn it up! And I have the highs much, much lower too.
Quote by fly135
Just because one has tone suck it doesn't mean one's tone sucks.