Hey guys, I recently bought the Buckethead Les Paul Studio by Gibson, and I didn't like it. Right now it's on eBay, and it has 5 watchers so hopefully it will sell soon. Once it sells, I'm going to use the money to get a new guitar. My budget would be about $1,300 or a little higher, but I also want to buy a new amp so I can replace my Line 6 Spider II.

I've been to 3 different music stores in the past week and tried out various guitars. I tried out Dean, Ibanez, Jackson, ESP, and the Synyster Gates Custom by Schecter.

Both of the Deans I tried sounded good, but I didn't like the necks. Specifically, I tried out a Dean Deceiver and a Dean Vendetta. Most of my friends hate Deans so they told me to stay away :P.

I tried out at least 5 Ibanez's. They were all very good in my opinion. I liked the Wizard neck. They all sounded good to me and they weren't too heavy. I don't have much else to say since I liked every one that I tried.

The first Jackson I tried out felt good to me. The neck was nice, it was easy to hold, and it wasn't too heavy. But the pickups weren't that great. The second Jackson I tried out I'm pretty sure had an input problem. I couldn't get sound out of the 3 amps I tried, so I quietly put it back on the wall.

The one ESP that I tried out was alright. It was an LTD I think. The neck felt good and everything, but something about the action felt weird to me. It sounded good as well but I had a hard time playing it.

The Synyster Gates Custom was pretty awesome. When I saw it on the wall I ran up to a guy right away and asked him if he could get it down for me. The body felt good, it wasn't too heavy, and the ebony fingerboard was great. I really like the design of the guitar. I hooked it up to a Line 6 Spider IV 30 Watt, and in my opinion it didn't sound that great on it. After a while I hooked up to a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 Watt and I was able to get a better sound. The custom invader pickups sound great as well.

My friends have told me that I shouldn't get Syn's custom. They told me I should keep looking at other Schecter's and see what I like. I already own a Schecter Diamond Series C-1, and to me it's alright. I've liked the Ibanez's I've tried more than my current Schecter to be honest. But Syn's custom felt much better to me than my current Schecter.

Does anyone have any recommendations of what models from each company I should try out that's in my price range? I've wanted to try out the Jackson Soloist models, but my GC doesn't seem to have them.

Thanks and sorry if I sound vague or something, I'm a confused 16 year old xD.
What guitar do you have right now?
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
Try the Ibanezes with the amp you currently have and then with an amp that you think that is good for the style you play and that you could upgrade to from what you've got now. Ibanezes are good guitars if you like the neck profiles. I had an Ibanez RG505 for about 8-9 months and after trying out a Gibson LP, I knew that I will need a "beefier" neck.

I personally stay away from signatures, that's probably why your friends have told you to stay away from one. If you like to get a signature guitar, then go for it. But I wouldn't.
Why the SYN custom feels better than your Schecter, is because it's of much higher quality, goes through more specific standards. In terms of build and woods, it's all a little bit better than what your C-1 is. I'm not saying that your C-1 is bad, just answering your question that why the SYN custom felt so good.

If you tried a LTD with an action issue, don't let it be a problem. It just might be a setup question and therefore solved with few twists. However, you should try many LTDs, there are lots and lots of them. Saying that you tried a LTD could give me the impression of EC series, while others could think of, for example, MH series.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Nov 27, 2011,
$1300 budget ? You hafta try the ESP Eclipse II.
GUITARS:
PRS Custom 24 (Black Slate 10 top w/birds)
ESP E-II Horizon NT-III (RDB)
ESP Eclipse II - Snow White

AMPS:
Mesa Rectoverb combo
Quote by AXEFAN88
$1300 budget ? You hafta try the ESP Eclipse II.

Note that he needs a new amp too..
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Damn... Sorry I missed that. Now I gotta rethink this one lol.
GUITARS:
PRS Custom 24 (Black Slate 10 top w/birds)
ESP E-II Horizon NT-III (RDB)
ESP Eclipse II - Snow White

AMPS:
Mesa Rectoverb combo
So I'd say Ibanez egen8, or ICT700, or rg1570z prestige, with an ibanez TBX150R 150 watt toneblaster transitor amp. Would cost like 1300-1500. Marshall Mg101fx is also good but would coast like 150$ higher.
Can thee tell us what features be'ith thine priority of an axe, and what manner of odes thee play'eth?
Doth thee wish for an axe for more rythymic playing, leads or both?
Would'est thou desire a whammification unit, such as Sir Floyd Rose's tremolo?
And what is thy use of an amplifier? Doth thee play'eth with a band, or for practice within thine domicile?

This post now concludeth!
WATCH YE TALES OF THIS VERY KNIGHT, AS TOLD IN YE ARTS OF CINEMA AND METAL:
> CLICK'ETH HERE <
Quote by cemges
So I'd say Ibanez egen8, or ICT700, or rg1570z prestige, with an ibanez TBX150R 150 watt toneblaster transitor amp. Would cost like 1300-1500. Marshall Mg101fx is also good but would coast like 150$ higher.

You got to be kidding me.. I would never get an Ibanez Toneblaster. Why do you think he needs a big transistor amp? I think if he plays metal and some rock too, he could have use for Peavey Vypyr Tube series amplifiers or Blackstar HT series.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard

Last edited by Sakke at Nov 27, 2011,
I normally play songs by bands like Megadeth, Metallica, Judas Priest, Avenged Sevenfold, Bullet for my Valentine, etc. I'm not in a band but sometimes me and my friends jam a little bit. I've heard that the Vypyr can do more then the Spiders. I also heard that it had a better metal tone then the Spiders.
Quote by xX760Xx
I normally play songs by bands like Megadeth, Metallica, Judas Priest, Avenged Sevenfold, Bullet for my Valentine, etc. I'm not in a band but sometimes me and my friends jam a little bit. I've heard that the Vypyr can do more then the Spiders. I also heard that it had a better metal tone then the Spiders.

May this knight proffer a recommendation for thee:
Ye Gibson Flying V.

This axe hath a mahogany construction for tones of Metal.
A bridge of stop-tail, for simplicity and a more pleasing tone.
Access to higher frets for leads, yet a most weighty chunk for rhythms.
Constructed in this nation, by a manufacturer of solid reputation.

This purchase may give'th thee sufficient funds to acquire'th an amplification box: Roland Cube 40XL.

This box sports solid Metal tone'age sans ye digital fizzle. It contain'eth many effects, and ye ability to perform with earphones, or with ye speaker. Additionally, this box be'ith receptive to pedals of ye feet.

Godspeed, young xX760Xx!

> CLICK'ETH HERE <
i can promise you spending that money on an amp and maybe a pickup change depending on which c-1 you have will be a much better investment
Fancy Black Horn is right. Yet about the amp, i'd prefer something non-digital instead of roland cube. I love marshall 100 watt + amps. Well i said ibanez tbx150r cause i thought he needed plenty of volume on a stage.
I'm going to be honest, I don't want a Gibson at the moment. I'd rather get an ESP or Ibanez. Plus I have such an irritating time trying to hold a V :P.
But gibson would give you an absolute tone. Or buy fender american standard hss. It is awesome
Quote by Ye Black Knight
May this knight proffer a recommendation for thee:
Ye Gibson Flying V.

This axe hath a mahogany construction for tones of Metal.
A bridge of stop-tail, for simplicity and a more pleasing tone.
Access to higher frets for leads, yet a most weighty chunk for rhythms.
Constructed in this nation, by a manufacturer of solid reputation.

This purchase may give'th thee sufficient funds to acquire'th an amplification box: Roland Cube 40XL.

This box sports solid Metal tone'age sans ye digital fizzle. It contain'eth many effects, and ye ability to perform with earphones, or with ye speaker. Additionally, this box be'ith receptive to pedals of ye feet.

Godspeed, young xX760Xx!

I lol'd heartily.

TS, you should consider purchasing a Charvel So Cal or San Dimas, or even a Charvel Wild Card #7
Speaking of the Roland Cube, I already have a Micro Cube haha. Love it.
Quote by xX760Xx
I'm going to be honest, I don't want a Gibson at the moment. I'd rather get an ESP or Ibanez. Plus I have such an irritating time trying to hold a V :P.

Lo! Doth ye unleash thine guitar fury from a position of sitting? If so then this knight must retract mine Flying V recommendation.

However, 'tis this knight's duty to point out that Gibson's V hath appearance of a maiden's legs spread wide'ly! Whence thee play'eth this axe in standing position: thine loins caress and rub these open legs in a way that is heeded by maidens in ye audience! Deep in ye minds of these nubile wenches they shall see thee as a master of fornications and wish thou to disrobe and ravage them!

> CLICK'ETH HERE <
Last edited by Ye Black Knight at Nov 27, 2011,
Quote by Ye Black Knight
Lo! Doth ye unleash thine guitar fury from a position of sitting? If so then this knight must retract mine Flying V recommendation.

However, 'tis this knight's duty to point out that Gibson's V hath appearance of a maiden's legs spread wide'ly! Whence thee play'eth this axe in standing position: thine loins caress and rub these open legs in a way that is heeded by maidens in ye audience! Deep in ye minds of these nubile wenches they shall see thee as a master of fornications and wish thou to disrobe and ravage them!

I love you and your posts.

And to the guy that recommend him an MG: WTF?
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by AWACS
I love you and your posts.

And to the guy that recommend him an MG: WTF?

MGs are br00tal pal.