Hi,

My bassist is very sick and we have a gig in two days,so I was wondering if we could use the keyboard to play bass instead?

Our keyboardist can't play bass guitar unfortunately but he said he can try playing bass using his keyboards.Will it sound good?

No one plays bass guitar in our school and so I guess we have no option of finding a replacement

Plz help
you can just play the song without bass if you need to or just get your keyboardist to play with his left hand on the lower notes.
Quote by The Shroom420
The Doors did it

this one hundred times over
Bass is Bass, you could have a trombone play the bassline. Of course it should be fitting though, i can't imagine a pulsating dubstep bass sound fitting in with a reggae track for example.
Of course he can!

Depending of the quality of the sound you want to get, there are many different solutions to do that.

The best sounding I can think of is sending MIDI signal from keyboard to a computer where the DAW (like Reaper or Sonar) is installed and there is mounted a bass synthesizer. MIDI signal is transfered to audio in DAW and then signal goes to speakers.
The fun part is you can set the specific octave on keyboard that will work as bass guitar, other notes will remain unchanged.
__
Neal Wakefield
Quote by Neal_Wakefield
Of course he can!

Depending of the quality of the sound you want to get, there are many different solutions to do that.

The best sounding I can think of is sending MIDI signal from keyboard to a computer where the DAW (like Reaper or Sonar) is installed and there is mounted a bass synthesizer. MIDI signal is transfered to audio in DAW and then signal goes to speakers.
The fun part is you can set the specific octave on keyboard that will work as bass guitar, other notes will remain unchanged.

yeah a lot of keyboards have settings that have half the keys as a bass and the other as something else. it can be done, he'll just have to rethink his parts.
mike98, please make sure you write how did the gig go! Good luck, if you have any questions, we're here to help you.
__
Neal Wakefield
For sure. Don't get him to try and play keyboards "like a bass" tho.... just fill in the gap that the bass has left, and it'll sound pretty good.
Quote by pncoutts
For sure. Don't get him to try and play keyboards "like a bass" tho.... just fill in the gap that the bass has left, and it'll sound pretty good.

I think it depends on how complex the keyboard parts are.

If they are rather simple + keyboardist is able to learn fast, he would probably manage to play regular bass lines.

If not, just filling the bass frequencies will also do the job
__
Neal Wakefield
I was in a 4 piece band for years.. 2 guitars, Drums and Keyboards... Like others have mentioned... the Doors did it and a lot of other bands have done it...

Our Keyboard player even had a special keyboard (bout 18" long) just for base.

If your keyboard player has a good keyboard, he should be able to split his keyboard and his left hand can play bass all it wants...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!