Decent Mid-range drum kit, cymbals and hardware for around £1000?

Im thinking of getting a mid-range drum kit for around £1000, but I'm still a newbie to all the brands out there, so i don't know what best fits what i want to play. Im generally play a little bit of everything, i like playing some rock/metal such as metallica, avenged sevenfold, biffy clyro (not metal but have heavy elements in some of their songs) but i also like to play some indie rock stuff like bloc party, little bit of Arctic monkeys. Also started exploring blast beats.

Basically i want to find a kit which fits these sort of bands which has one bass drum with a double foot pedal, snare, 2 toms, floor tom, high hat, 2 crashes, 1 ride.

Ive looked at Pearl and tama, but don't know what much else out there or whats best. And i do have a budget of around £1000, maybe £1400 tops.

Any suggestions would be cool and anything from UK stores would be better. Anyone suggest anything in Andertons in Guildford would be Awesome as I have Loyalty card. cheers everyone

(btw i drum left handed, so I'm looking at left footed drum pedals)
Rockem Music has a pretty decent drum dept. I got this kit from them a couple months ago Worth every penny.

I play fairly similar music to you, and this is my second Mapex kit, would strongly recommend them. If you get the likes of a £600 kit then you've still got plenty of money to play with for buying cymbals plus any additional hardward you might need. Infact, if I remember rightly, Rockem also has an eBay strore with some pretty decent deals, where you can find some of their kits with decent cymbal packs at discount prices. Also, if you email them, they might make a deal that suits you slightly better. They did that for me.

As for your pedal, see if you can get one of these babies second hand. Best pedal I've ever used.

Hope that's a little bit of help man.
I think your better off spending only around £400 on the kit itself, something like a Tama Imperialstar perhaps. A mid level drum kit can sound great with some nice heads but you can't change the tone of your cymbals.

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/tama-is52kh6-imperialstar-drum-kit-midnight-mist/51520

This comes with all the hardware you need, it might not be amazing quality but it doesn't really need to be. Then you can spend some money of getting some nice cymbals and some new heads.

I've always been recommended not to get to sucked in to the double pedal adverts telling you that you can only play faster with x or y pedal. Buddy Rich and John Bonham played on old cheap pedals and they could both play really fast. I brought a set of Iron Cobra Rolling Glides and its never effected my playing when using other pedals, but I'm sure they will last me forever. But anyways, my point was I wouldn't worry about investing to much on a double pedal.
Spiraling Up Through the Crack in the Sky...

...Leaving Material World Behind...

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
^Definitely true. I play Trick Pro 1-Vs, which are SUPER AWESOME, but really I can do similar things on just about any other pedal, though the ease of which I can do so varies, of course... if you have good balance and practice "double bass" on the floor and develop muscles that way (heel up or heel down, I do both), instead of contouring your technique to the pedal, the pedal itself doesn't really matter.

And yeah, that whole X pedal is faster is kind of bogus. An Axis pedal RESPONDS a lot quicker than an Iron Cobra, for example, and will have less slack at higher tempos, but you can still go super fast on an Iron Cobra, just with a bit more effort-- probably because Iron Cobras actually let you play powerfully

But of course, you should play pedals that you actually like. I wouldn't get super hung up over which you get first.
You could easily find a vintage Ludwig/Gretsch/Sonor for around 400-600 which (if you took care of) would increase in value over time and would sound great (if you buy the right heads for the drums). Would also leave you some room for some cymbals. Buy an old 60's A. Zildjian Ride and Crash for around $150 a piece. Ziljian new beats are GREAT hi-hats. You can snag them for $80 off ebay or craigslist. Very easy to find. Get some simple hardware that's stable. Nothing fancy (Gibraltar will do) and heads will depend on what kind of tone you're going for. With most drums, the drum head and the bearing-edge are going to determine a majority of the tone you get out of the drum.

You're probably not going to get a full vintage kit with the matching snare for less than 800-1000 so I would steer towards either an older supraphonic or "step-down" to the Accrolite. Both sound pretty damn good. You can find Accrolites all over the place for around $80. The Supraphonics you can find all over the place as well, but you'll have to shell out about $200. Look around craigslist though, I got my 70's supraphonic for $80 through a series of trades.

So theres a great kit that will last you forever. Its very do-able. (I've done it myself)

1960's Ludwigs ($600)
1960's A-Ziljdian Ride ($80)
1975-80's A-Ziljian Crash ($80)
1980's Ziljian New Beats ($100)
1970's Ludwig Supraphonic Snare ($80)
Hardware (Don't spend more than $100)

But it comes down to what YOU like. Go to pawn shops, drum shops, guitar centers, whatever you need to do to find the drum sound you like.

Good luck in your search!
Last edited by Max-Roach at Nov 30, 2011,
Im gonna say go and look for a Pearl vision VMX not the new VML because the VMX is 100% maple whereas the VML is 1 ply of maple and the rest is filler wood. Also I reccomend the Chad smith signature snare or the pearl sensitone brass as a snare then just get some cheap hardware and go to a music store and pick some cymbals you like also try everything ( if possible ) first .

Kits you could consider

Pearl Vision VMX , used Masters for around £ 600 - £700 or MLX or BLX for £400-£500

Tama silverstar or used ( if your lucky) starclassic

Mapex Meridian or used saturn

Gretsch catalinas or used renowns
Quote by Skinny91
I think your better off spending only around £400 on the kit itself, something like a Tama Imperialstar perhaps. A mid level drum kit can sound great with some nice heads but you can't change the tone of your cymbals.

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/tama-is52kh6-imperialstar-drum-kit-midnight-mist/51520

This comes with all the hardware you need, it might not be amazing quality but it doesn't really need to be. Then you can spend some money of getting some nice cymbals and some new heads.

Agree with spending more on the kit than the cymbals.

Personally, without a shadow of a doubt I'd go with a used kit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-Stage-Custom-Advantage-Birch-Drum-Kit-Cases-used-1-owner-/230710516621?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Drums_Percussions_MJ&hash=item35b76b1b8d
Yamaha Stage Custom (birch), with a full complement of cheap-but-not bad cymbals (two crashes, splash, ride and hats), all hardware, and a full set of hardcases. Looks like a great deal to ne - they're good kits, and you could sell off the cheap cymbals one by one and replace em with high-end ones with all the leftover cash.
it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mapex-M-Series-Birch-Drum-Kit-Full-Setup-LOADS-extras-/270867010024?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Drums_Percussions_MJ&hash=item3f10ee91e8
A good birch 6-piece kit, two Z custom crash cymbals (the hats and ride are only ZBTs but you can sell and upgrade), brand new Evans heads, a good double kick pedal, cases, double braced hardware and some other bits.

If you want to buy new, I'd still recommend a used shellpack - you can easily find Pearl Export shellpacks for £150 and they're a cracking intermediate rock kit. My old drummer plays one, and it sounds huge - though he's a pro session player so that was no surprise.

If you get a five-piece shellpack for under £200, that leaves you enough to get top notch cymbals and skins, as well as good quality hardware.