In my home there is a place where i can really turn the amp up and play loud but....

How much room affects on my tone?. Room is in my basement and it is just pure concrete everywhere. Keeping the amp there brings bass up quite a lot. Keeping the amp in my former "kitchen" makes it a little more balanced. Or is this whole thing just in my head. If it isn't how i can fix this, because i really would want to keep it in my basement.
lift the amp off the ground. set it on a chair or a box or something. that will help out a lot. being on the concrete floor the bass kinda "locks in" with the ground and then kinda amplifies itself through the ground and you get a ton of bass.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
lift the amp off the ground. set it on a chair or a box or something. that will help out a lot. being on the concrete floor the bass kinda "locks in" with the ground and then kinda amplifies itself through the ground and you get a ton of bass.

This, or find a thick piece of wood or tile to put the cab on top of. Also, if you're looking to improve acoustics, look into getting some of those foam pieces that venues put on their walls.
Heavy drapes on the walls.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Amaseng
This, or find a thick piece of wood or tile to put the cab on top of. Also, if you're looking to improve acoustics, look into getting some of those foam pieces that venues put on their walls.

Foam pieces will muffle it if anything. 100hz is about a 20ft wavelength. Foam pieces need to be 1/4 the size of the wave your trying to get rid of, so they would have to be 5 ft. And they absorb everything higher than that frequency, so you'd sort of be creating a low shelf depending on how thick your foam is. Concrete is a about a 50/50 reflection/absorption material if i remember correctly, so a lot of your low end would just get reflected back anyways.

EDIT : yes your room will affect the sound. what are the dimensions?
PRS CE22
PRS SE Santana
Fender Spalted Maple Tele
Squier Affinity Tele w.mods
Mesa Boogie Mark IV Combo + 212 Recto Cab
Homemade Ash Bass
BBE Two Timer
DUNLOP Wah
BOSS GE-7
KORG Pitchblack
MXR Dyna Comp

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
Last edited by Carndawgy at Nov 27, 2011,
casters/wheels help too, just gonna throw that out there, and makes your equipment a lot easier to move around.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Look into some DIY bass traps. No studio is without them nowadays.
Quote by fly135
Just because one has tone suck it doesn't mean one's tone sucks.
Quote by Cathbard
Heavy drapes on the walls.

also a new roll of carpet padding is pretty cheap and works good to dampen sound.

You can go old school and use carpet on the floos and walls. I have always liked leaving 1 wall unpadded to give a little natural reverb.

If you have lots of money to drop, the acoustic insulation foam is good, but very expensive.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Hmmmm... To me this seems like a standing waves issue. As mentioned bass traps would be a good idea, and if i manage to place amp and listening point right. I also considered that i might put extra layer of carpets on the floor and put some foam on the walls. Would it help?
Foam will work fine on the walls. Drapes are easiest and work just as well. You can often get ugly ones cheap at the Salvos. Carpet on the walls is good too but a bit of a pita to erect. The deadest studio I've ever walked into was done with carpet everywhere; floor, walls and ceiling.
It's amazing what can actually work. You often don't have to cover entire walls, just well located deadening panels here and there can do the trick.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Monstarrr
Hmmmm... To me this seems like a standing waves issue. As mentioned bass traps would be a good idea, and if i manage to place amp and listening point right. I also considered that i might put extra layer of carpets on the floor and put some foam on the walls. Would it help?

of course it will

do you have carpet down there now? I thought you said it was all concrete. Getting some carpet, foam, drywall, rugs, whatever up on the walls will help. I have my amp sitting up on a big chest so it sits about 'halfstack' height.
you can get all crafty and use a mixture of softer and harder materials with surface areas that point every which way. sound of different wave lengths acts differently with different surfaces.

concentrate on corners more, this is where undesireable standing waves occurs. don't place amps directly against the wall (especially open back cabs), move them a couple feet away.

drapes are great, they aren't flat so it'll disperse sound a bit, plus you can also hang them a few inches away from the wall (this will create more of a dead air space between wall and curtain and it deadens the room better).

i used a bunch of carpet at times cuz you can find it in industrial park dumpsters for free.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
The packing trays in boxes of apples work too. It's their shape that makes them work, not what they are made out of. All those little domes reflecting the sound in every direction. Same principle as egg cartons but they are bigger sheets.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification