Page 1 of 2
While my band was practicing yesterday, around 8, we got a call from our singer's (whose house we were using to practice) mom, saying that she got a call from a neighbor, who said they were calling the cops if we kept practicing. From what I've heard from our singer, the guy who called them is a complete ass (he's currently telling me a story about how said person tried poisoning his dogs....). The guy claimed that we were shaking his house.... it wasn't even particularly loud. I was only using a 38w practice amp for my bass (keep in mind, bass takes a lot more to move than guitar; a lot of bassists use the rule of thumb of having threes times the wattage of your guitarist), and the volume on it was just short of 2, and yet I was properly EQ'd in, so I could be heard; what I'm trying to say is that I believe that neighbor is just being a douche.

Anyways, this thread isn't for me to rant. Have any of you ever actually had the cops called on you due to practice/other noise? If so, what did they do? I'm hoping that, if the cops do end up being called, it'll just be a warning, or they'll tell the neighbor that we aren't violating any law seeing as it isn't after 10, or something of that nature. Do any of you know from personal experience?
knock on his door and tell him to suck your dick
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
Last I heard, around here noise ordinance doesn't start until 10PM.

If you check the law where you are and stay within it then the neighbor can call the cops all he wants about it and they can't do shit.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
He can go ahead and call the cops, they'll just come and see that you're not actually as loud as he says and nothing will happen.
keep practising, but hire a mexican kid to act as look-out, as soon as he says that the cops are coming then drop all instruments (not literally, you might break something, just rest them against something) and chill on the couch with some 360/ps3/tv shows and act all like "what? band practise? noise?" when the cops question you about it, then when they go. carry on practising...

or if you wanna be sociable... practise acoustically.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Just let 'em come. I've had the same thing at a party at my place, with my douchey neighbours. The cops arrived, rang the doorbell and immediately said "We had a noise complaint, and we stood around here and listened for a while, but we couldn't really hear the problem."

If you're not really loud, which is what you said, you don't have anything to worry about.
Tell me who's that writin'...
Quote by doomded

If you check the law where you are and stay within it then the neighbor can call the cops all he wants about it and they can't do shit.
I did some research, and the exact wording of the law for where he lives is as follows:

No person or entity having control of any building or premises shall cause, or allow to be caused, excessive or unusual noise in the operation of or use of any mechanical or electrical device, instrument or machine, which loud, excessive or unusual noise shall disturb and disrupt the comfort, quite or repose of persons in the vicinity thereof.

So.... well, that's really open to interpretation, and really seems to leave it to the discretion of the officer.
Quote by Dempsey68
or if you wanna be sociable... practise acoustically.
Not really an option, considering we're practicing with a drummer, and our songs include a lot of effects (tremelo, distortion, delay, et cetera).
Quote by LostLegion
Soundproof the room
We can't afford to do so, at least not very well. Are there any tricks that could dampen the sound without costing us much?
Turn it up louder, to drown out his complaints.
Or you could always poo in a bag and leave it on fire on his doorstep.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Once this older man heard my band practice very late at night and went to check i out cuz his house was shaking (My bass is loud). He was a drummer and just ended up jamming with us
Quote by herby190
We can't afford to do so, at least not very well. Are there any tricks that could dampen the sound without costing us much?

Put lots of carpets or some other clothing around the room; on the walls, floor, roof if possible, that should dampen the sound
Here's the plan.
*Police come*
You: *run outside as fast as possible* It's about time you guys showed up.
Officer: Are you the person who called about the noise?
You: I don't know what you're talking about, but that asshole over there tried to poison my dog!

Then they will carry him away.
FORZA CATANIA
So you guys are in one house and he claims that you're shaking the neighboring house? I call shenanigans.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by doomded

I didn't know HELL had a noise ordinance
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by JustRooster
So you guys are in one house and he claims that you're shaking the neighboring house? I call shenanigans.
Exactly... I mean, if it was that loud, we would all be half-deaf by the end of practice, especially considering that the room we're practicing in is maybe 100 sq ft.
Quote by sticksause
Once this older man heard my band practice very late at night and went to check i out cuz his house was shaking (My bass is loud). He was a drummer and just ended up jamming with us

Fken Sick man.

Oh, and soundproofing is kinda hard. The best thing to do is put as much mass between the music and the rest of the house as possible.
Hugging Thread; I'm here to help

Oh you wouldn’t want an angel watching over
Surprise, surprise they wouldn’t wannna watch
Another uninnocent, elegant fall
Into the unmagnificent lives of adults

It's Tessa, not Tesse please.
You might want to look into the local noise ordinance in your city. It's a common myth that noise ordinances are usually between certain times. In my city it's 24/7. You can't play loud music, operate loud machinery or even "hoot or holler" (the exact wording) in a residential zone at any time of day. But yet most people that I've come across have said that they are absolutely 100% *positive* that it's between midnight and 7am. To the point where I believed that until I actually looked it up and was shocked that there is no time constraint. It's 24/7.

That doesn't mean the police will enforce the law exactly as it's written. The problem is, you're basically asking a forum for legal advice. The police will pretty much do whatever the hell they want to. The could let you off with a warning or they could fine you, but I would think that as long as you're respectful and cooperative they would let you off with a warning but tell you that if they have to come back out they would fine you. Also, how old are you ? If you're minors then they would deal primarily with your parents.
Quote by garett
You might want to look into the local noise ordinance in your city. It's a common myth that noise ordinances are usually between certain times. In my city it's 24/7. You can't play loud music, operate loud machinery or even "hoot or holler" (the exact wording) in a residential zone at any time of day. But yet most people that I've come across have said that they are absolutely 100% *positive* that it's between midnight and 7am. To the point where I believed that until I actually looked it up and was shocked that there is no time constraint. It's 24/7.

That doesn't mean the police will enforce the law exactly as it's written. The problem is, you're basically asking a forum for legal advice. The police will pretty much do whatever the hell they want to. The could let you off with a warning or they could fine you, but I would think that as long as you're respectful and cooperative they would let you off with a warning but tell you that if they have to come back out they would fine you. Also, how old are you ? If you're minors then they would deal primarily with your parents.
The singer and I are 17, our drummer's 18.
Take your amps outside his house
Stick them against the wall
Turn them up Max
Then Play.....

Or go for the flaming bag of poop outside his front door....
I've never got complaints before. I have a 50 watt Marshall stack too! I know people can hear me cuz they always look into my room when they walk past the house. The neighbours have never told me to turn it down. My Mum bitches about how loud it is like there's no tomorrow. But she's only downstairs.
Don't know where you're from, but usually they'll just tell them to piss off and call back at 10, when there actually are noise restrictions, and when/if they call back at 10 they'll normally give it another hour or two before checking it out because they have better shit to do.

Even then they only knock on your door and ask you to keep the noise down. It's not like they're going to arrest you all for being loud.
Depends on the area. In my town the ordinance have one volume before 8 pm to account for lawnmowers and such and then the volume level drops.

There was a douche of a neighbor who had an ungodly loud stereo in his back shed and would play it at all hours. About 8 neighbors including myself complained.

The first time was a warning. After that it was a $100 fine per incident. After about $700 (no joke) he finally got the hint.

So check what the ordinances are in your area. As you're under age your parents will be the ones fined (or whoever's house it is).
Quote by herby190
we got a call from our singer's mom, saying that she got a call from a neighbor, who said they were calling the cops

Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
If he thought you were any good , he wouldn't have called the cops.

Take it as constructive criticism and try being better.
Quote by burghUK
If he thought you were any good , he wouldn't have called the cops.

Take it as constructive criticism and try being better.

Bit harsh?

Ovation 1771AX
Roland GK-3
Roland GR-20
Boss DS-1
Boss PS-6

Quote by jonathan666666
Here's the plan.
*Police come*
You: *run outside as fast as possible* It's about time you guys showed up.
Officer: Are you the person who called about the noise?
You: I don't know what you're talking about, but that asshole over there tried to poison my dog!

Then they will carry him away.

Actually do this. Who the fuck poisons someones dog? I would beat the living shit out of somebody if they did that.

Just call the cops on him anyway. What a fucktard.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Nov 27, 2011,
Find a better place to practice? If you've got the money you could find a place to rent, perhaps in a business or industrial district, and practice there. That's what my old band did and it worked great for over a year. We got a deal on the rent as it was a place that wasn't likely to be rented in the first place. We got to practice into all hours of the night, it was really good.
I live in rural Kansas, I never get yelled at for doing anything.

TS, if I were you I'd move to Kansas and start a band with me. That, or bring in generator in a corn field and practice there.
Last edited by FearMyLightning at Nov 27, 2011,
Quote by WCPhils
Actually do this. Who the fuck poisons someones dog? I would beat the living shit out of somebody if they did that.

Just call the cops on him anyway. What a fucktard.
Apparently, he didn't like them barking, so he left out rats with anti-freeze on them, to try to get the dogs to eat them. I don't know what happened with it; it was a long time ago.

Quote by Mudmen190
Find a better place to practice? If you've got the money you could find a place to rent, perhaps in a business or industrial district, and practice there. That's what my old band did and it worked great for over a year. We got a deal on the rent as it was a place that wasn't likely to be rented in the first place. We got to practice into all hours of the night, it was really good.
We've been discussing renting out a warehouse to practice in; a band we know pretty well and have played shows with does the same, and it seems to work well for them. We just need to know how much it will cost, because only one of us has a job.

Quote by FearMyLightning
I live in rural Kansas, I never get yelled at for doing anything.
I live in a rural area, too; however, we can't practice at my house, because my step-dad is a bitch, and doesn't allow our singer here for.... various reasons.

Quote by FearMyLightning
TS, if I were you I'd move to Kansas and start a band with me.
Hmmmm.... how do you fell about Alternative/Post-Hardcore?
Last edited by herby190 at Nov 27, 2011,
blast your volume for two minutes or so

hide your gear

cops won't find anything

neighbors lose credibility
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Page 1 of 2