i posted something like this a while ago, but it had to do with cheaper guitars. im going to be looking for a job soon so i can save up for a new guitar (im only 16). i was planning on getting a guitar that was around 300 or less, but since ill be getting a fair amount of money, i figure that i have way more options to choose from and a much larger budget.

i like to play punk and a lot of metal, (stuff from iron maiden, and black sabbath to at the gates, death and mayhem, etc), so i want to get a guitar thats good for both of those genres. i have been thinking of a few

epiphone les paul standard / g-400

ltd eclipse (not sure which model number i'd like to get, maybe ec-1000 or one a bit lower)

and other brands or different models i should look at?
Yeah, what type of amp do you have?
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
save money for fender american standard stratocaster hss or classic 3 single
sorry to break it to you but 300(?) isn't a mid-high range guitar, it's fairly low range...

3 questions

1. amp? (as others have asked)

and

2. what currency we looking at? dollars? pounds? yen? euros? remember this is a worldwide website and we don't all deal in one currency.

3rd and final question. willing to go used?
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
$300 = good mid-high range guitar???!!!!
Sorry you're barely out of student/starter level instrument at that price.
Moving on.....
i meant originally 300 was my limit when i decided to get a new guitar, but since i decided to get a mid-high range guitar its around $1000 or so. i had a cheap marshall practice amp, forget the model number, but it broke. it was used when i got it.
Last edited by demonomania at Nov 27, 2011,
Quote by demonomania
i meant originally 300 was my limit when i decided to get a new guitar, but since i decided to get a mid-high range guitar its around $1000 or so. i had a cheap marshall practice amp, forget the model number, but it broke. it was used when i got it.

if you dont even have an amp then buy an amp instead or spend $500 on an amp and $500 on a guitar
forgot to mention that i have another practice amp that will do for now, its made by some company called groove factory, its alright. not the greatest but it will do for now. right now my guitar is a starcaster by fender, and its not doing so well so id like to get a new guitar first.
Quote by demonomania
forgot to mention that i have another practice amp that will do for now, its made by some company called groove factory, its alright. not the greatest but it will do for now. right now my guitar is a starcaster by fender, and its not doing so well so id like to get a new guitar first.

why? is it coz its not good for your style or coz its hard to play?

BTW you say "Fender 'STRAT'ocaster" not "Fender 'STAR'caster".
Last edited by itamar100 at Nov 27, 2011,
Quote by demonomania

you said nothing about a $1000 budget

but i'm confused

is your budget 300 or 1000 dollars? there's a MAJOR difference.

also you ARE going to need a new amp. no matter what you say, you need one. trust us.

ok you need a new guitar first, but a new amp best come within a few weeks otherwise the money you've spent out on the guitar is pretty much wasted.

it's like buying a ferrari with a 1.4 mondeo engine, it looks good, but packs NO punch.

same with if you bought a 1K guitar. it'd look good, but through a crap amp it'll sound crap.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
yep. if youre gonna get a $1000 guitar you NEED something better than a practise amp. a bad guitar into a good amp sounds ok. a good guitar into a bad amp sounds crap.
Get yourself a Blackstar HT1R combonition amplifuckator device then get yerself a Charvel Wild Card #7 Primer Scream geeter! Yeeehhaaawww!
Quote by itamar100
why? is it coz its not good for your style or coz its hard to play?

umm... dude the starcaster is a bottom of the barrel fender starter guitar. he didn't type it wrong.
Buy the best guitar you can for the $1K and it'll likely do you for years. spend $500 and you're only getting a minor step from a beginner guitar which means you'll be buying another one sooner or later. Despite opinions to the contrary, you can actually play an electric without an amp or with a less than great amp. Especially if it's just bedroom playing for now. Then save up and get nice amp, use your new guitar to audition the amps too.
If I had a nickel for evry kid on this site that thought they were getting great tone fron a $300 guitar through a $1000 amp, I'd rich.
Moving on.....
Wow, lotta cranky people here. Kid's posted up a decent post, yet it seems everyone's falling over his age, even though a lot of people managed to read the post(s) wrong too xD

Anyway, sounds like you got a split decision to make if both guitar and amp aren't exactly top notch. I'd tend to getting a better amp first, then a nice axe later on. If you get a job I suppose they'll pay you more than once ;-) So decide what you want first then get the other after. And in this case I'd say if you get a nice mid-top range guitar and play it through a 'not the greatest but it'll do for now' amp, it's a bit of a waste.
PRS SE Custom 22 <3
Fender Stratocaster '57 RI
Fender Super Champ XD
Tanglewood TW115 CW
You don't need to spend loads on an amplifier to get a good sound, i have a ht-1r and i fully recommend them for practicing alone. hell, i even pushed one through a 4x12 and was able to hear myself over a drummer.

As for a guitar, don't base it on our decision really. If it feels good when you play it, and you enjoy playing it, then you'll get a whole lot more enjoyment out of it. Some people will probably flame me for going 'oh you can't compare when he uses a starcaster' but thats the magic of it, you should play what you enjoy playing. Go into a shop, try a few out, see what you like. As long as the pickups don't sound absolute wazz awful then you'll find something.
Quote by itamar100

What was that you just said?

Anyway, I agree with others when they say that it would be worth investing in a decent amp first. Check out Bugera (no people, they don't blow up anymore), VHT, Blackheart and Egnater for some economically-priced valve goodness.

After that, I'd recommend selling your current guitar and buying a $300-[whatever you have left after your amp] guitar (perhaps a Burny or a Fernandes Retrorocket Pro). Then sink a shiny set of pickups into your new guitar and life will be beautiful.

Actually, it might be worth spending nearer to £300 and getting a really good set of pickups, BKPs or something.
LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_
I wonder if you get more out put if you wire a battery to your penis.
Last edited by NeutralFan at Nov 27, 2011,
Yes, don't get a ~1000 buck amp. No point. Something like a Blackstar HT5 will do you nicely. :-)
PRS SE Custom 22 <3
Fender Super Champ XD
Tanglewood TW115 CW
Quote by Azunaii
Yes, don't get a ~1000 buck amp. No point. Something like a Blackstar HT5 will do you nicely. :-)

But equally, don't put a £1000 guitar through a 20p amp.

I'd say to split your grand about 50/35/15, and spent the fifty on an amp, the thirty-five on a guitar and the fifteen on a set of pups.
LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_
I wonder if you get more out put if you wire a battery to your penis.
If you're just practising then it's important to have a guitar that you like playing and one that stays in tune. Starcasters are some of the worst guitars I've ever played, they're around the bullet squier level of quality and they're shitty enough to turn people off of playing guitar.

An Epi g-400 is a step up, but the neck-dive (meaning it doesn't balance right when standing) on those damn things makes me want to smash it against a wall. A nice guitar is the most important thing you could get in my opinion. Sure it'll sound nicer with a better amp, but modelling technology is good enough today to play with until you have money for a better amp. Since you're just practising there's no real need for a tube amp IMO.

An EC-1000 is a great choice and you can find them easily for 600-700 used, 850 new. I personally don't like all the tacky Abalone they use on the deluxe models but maybe that's cool with you.

If you're willing to go Agile you can get a good guitar (Agile Al-3000, Valkyrie etc) for around $400-500 shipped

I own an Ibanez RGA42 and while it's better in a lot of way than I expected, (the pickups are actually really good in terms of tone), the parts it comes with are cheap and it doesn't stay in tune as much as I would like and the high e doesn't register as well as the other strings. So if you're gonna go Ibanez I would recommend staying away from Indonesian models.

Schecter C-1s are nice guitars, especially for the money. You can get a nice one for around $400.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
You could get something like a Roland Cube for as low as 100-150 bucks, depending on your wattage. Those are solid state amps but sound pretty good in my opinion. Then you can go with what the guy above me said, and still spend quite some on a guitar :-)
PRS SE Custom 22 <3
Fender Super Champ XD
Tanglewood TW115 CW