So I have a guitar interface that runs into ableton and that's great for me, but recently I joined a band and we need to record demos and such (which was previously done on a £10 behringer mic and an 80's answering machine apparently)

So I thought, well I can just us Ableton still, but it would be nice if we could record our instruments together, so we're going to need a bigger interface with more inputs.

Now I've looked at a few, and they all look like they do the same thing, so I thought someone on here would know better. It needs to be kinda cheap, and I need to be able to record to individual tracks in Ableton (or fruity loops, which is gathering dust at the minute)

I was looking at the Allen & Heath Zed 10FX which looks like it'll do everything, but I also saw an Alesis multimix 8 which looks like it'll do the same but it's a wee bit cheaper.

Anyone have any experience in this?
Vice president of the I Watched Eon8 End Club!
And what a big f****** let down that was.

You don't play your scales "out of the box", you just play them in a really big box.
'which was previously done on a £10 behringer mic and an 80's answering machine apparently'
I'm afraid I have no advice, but this is just plain awesome
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
The Alesis is certainly worth looking at. I have the multimix 16, I have had it for nearly 4 years and its not once had any problems. Its great.
Quote by Kendawg4TooL
You know you're a bassist when you think a guitar is just some freaky type of short scale, six string bass.

This is The Central Scrutinizer......
IS it possible to record the channels into separate DAW channels simultaneously though? So I can record the whole band at once? (Aside from drums since you need a vajillion inputs)

You don't play your scales "out of the box", you just play them in a really big box.
Why do you need it to be a board?

I would look into a multitracker of some sort if you need all the faders and knobs, otherwise, you could do much better with a simple interface, like the Tascam US-800 for $100:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/computer-audio-interfaces-convertors/tascam-us-800-usb-audio-midi-interface

Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Thats actually really nice. We were considering the mixing desk to help with live sound actually, we play at a lot of venues where the "sound engineer" does the levels and totally obliterates the sound, so we thought getting a mixing desk where we can set the levels and just give them a nice package straight into their mixing desk would make life a tonne easier. But for recording you have a point, that would be really good.

but how would you go about recording drums with one of those things?

Quote by MatrixClaw
Why do you need it to be a board?

I would look into a multitracker of some sort if you need all the faders and knobs, otherwise, you could do much better with a simple interface, like the Tascam US-800 for $100:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/computer-audio-interfaces-convertors/tascam-us-800-usb-audio-midi-interface

holy mother of god... all that for 100$???

is there any catch or something?
I think I'd have to record the drums with one mic but that means I'd have to record them separately. Just a pain in the behind having to warp all the beats that are slightly off in ableton so everythings tight!

Quote by SamboSkull
Thats actually really nice. We were considering the mixing desk to help with live sound actually, we play at a lot of venues where the "sound engineer" does the levels and totally obliterates the sound, so we thought getting a mixing desk where we can set the levels and just give them a nice package straight into their mixing desk would make life a tonne easier. But for recording you have a point, that would be really good.

but how would you go about recording drums with one of those things?

The bad thing about a board is that, unless it has some sort of USB/Firewire out, you'll have to feed it into a separate interface, which means - Once you've mixed your levels, EQ, compression, etc. through the board, you really can't do much once it goes into your interface, unless your board has just dedicated outputs for every channel and you're running an interface with just as many inputs as you're using on the board, at which point, having the board is kinda redundant.

Unless you have a dedicated sound guy who's going to run your board, I really don't see getting your own as being any kind of perk for live use, since the sound guy can just take your levels that you sent to him and screw it up again.

What do you mean how would you go about recording drums? Just plug your mics into the interface and hit record

Quote by Vendetta V
holy mother of god... all that for 100$???

is there any catch or something?

Nope, I have one.

The pres aren't the greatest, but for $100, it's a hell of a lot better than anything else out there at the price. I use it for recording live shows from the board, or I bring it over to friend's houses to record a jam session, works nicely It has pleasantly surprised me for the most part, the only reason I really bought it was because I wanted the Cubase disc so I could upgrade to the full version of Cubase 6 for $100 cheaper
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
the multimix has a usb out/in which from what I gather allows you to record separate channels in the DAW.

(And I meant send the sound engineer just one level, which is the whole band at the right levels, so all he can do is EQ the entire band and turn the volume up and down and we can do the minor tweaks on stage. They all have differing opinions of what sounds good, which is usually wrong and they don't care what the band want to sound like. "No no no, you definitely need a high gain an treble on your snare, look at Metallica")

Quote by SamboSkull
the multimix has a usb out/in which from what I gather allows you to record separate channels in the DAW.

The Multimix 8 can only record at 16-bit and can only send 1 stereo track (left and right channels) or 2 mono tracks via the USB input. So, eventhough it has 4 mic inputs and 4 line inputs, you can't record all 8 inputs to separate tracks in your DAW.

The USB 2.0 version of the Multimix 8 can record separate tracks, but it's also significantly more expensive.

Quote by SamboSkull
(And I meant send the sound engineer just one level, which is the whole band at the right levels, so all he can do is EQ the entire band and turn the volume up and down and we can do the minor tweaks on stage. They all have differing opinions of what sounds good, which is usually wrong and they don't care what the band want to sound like. "No no no, you definitely need a high gain an treble on your snare, look at Metallica")

The engineer would be extremely limited with what he can do after you send the board to his board, and to be quite honest - Unless you have someone standing out in front of the PA system in the crowd, adjusting your board while you're playing (dedicated sound guy), the mix you setup coming from your board that you set in soundcheck is likely to sound worse than what the sound guy gives you.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I've had a closer look at the options and that US-800 is a really nice piece of gear! Thanks for the recommendation, I'm 99% likely to go for that