Basket weave is a good sign. If it's 60s-70s vintage it probably has some real nice Rola/Pre-Rola Celestions. It might just be a 1960 with new grille cloth, of course. Unfortunately, cabs tend to all look alike.
it also could be the 1060 handmade cab.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by Roc8995
Basket weave is a good sign. If it's 60s-70s vintage it probably has some real nice Rola/Pre-Rola Celestions. It might just be a 1960 with new grille cloth, of course. Unfortunately, cabs tend to all look alike.

Yeah they do look pretty similar, i only made this thread on the off chance really. Didn't know about the basket weave thing though. I'm actually getting the head and cab in the image for a fairly good price, i only really want the head but if that cab sounds better than my current one then i'll use that and sell my other one.

Testing it out of course beforehand though.
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Nov 27, 2011,
Right. I don't think Marshall ever made any crappy cabs with the Basketweave grille. Unless it's had the cloth replaced, it ought to be a nice cab.
i have a 4x10 with the basket weave, it isn't overly old and it rattles a bit and wasn't that great til we loaded it with webers (still has annoying rattle). i don't feel you need to be told to judge the cab on how it plays and buy it if you like it... but if you want to know if it might be something badass/desirable-in-a-collectable-way then pull one of the speakers out and look at the manufacturer/date code on the basket

http://www.webervst.com/codes.html

also take a look inside the cab with a flashlight, occasionally someone will write a manufacturer date on the inside or a part may have an inventory sticker on it with a date (i date my peavey from a tag on the jack plate). but the most likely bet is to see when the speakers were made from the code.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Nov 27, 2011,
Quote by gumbilicious
i have a 4x10 with the basket weave, it isn't overly old and it rattles a bit and wasn't that great til we loaded it with webers (still has annoying rattle). i don't feel you need to be told to judge the cab on how it plays and buy it if you like it... but if you want to know if it might be something badass/desirable-in-a-collectable-way then pull one of the speakers out and look at the manufacturer/date code on the basket

http://www.webervst.com/codes.html

also take a look inside the cab with a flashlight, occasionally someone will write a manufacturer date on the inside or a part may have an inventory sticker on it with a date (i date my peavey from a tag on the jack plate). but the most likely bet is to see when the speakers were made from the code.

That is pretty interesting. I should have it tomorrow so i'll have a look