I tried to research this on my own, but I was unable to make an decisions based on the current information I found, so I am coming. I finally have the funds to get a somewhat decent amp. By that, I mean I have a $600 budget for the amp.

I currently have a Vox VT40+ which I will be trading in for said new amp as well.

I am currently looking at the Peavy 6505 and the Peavy Valveking 212. The Valveking 212 is a bit more but I can swing it. The reviews are mixed on both amps (it seems) which is why I am coming here. I've never had anything but combo amps, so I really don't know what to look for.

Also, I am not set on these two models, rather, its just the two models i've narrowed in on. If anyone has any other suggestions, that would be helpful. Versatility would be nice, but I play hardrock/metal and I want something that does cleans well. While a used amp may get me more value, I would like to buy new.

Also, as I am giving up my modeling amp, I am in need of some effects. The only I effects I use consistently are Delay and Chorus.

I don't know what else information I could provide, so if anyone would like further clarification let me know and I will provide give as much detail as I can. Thanks.
If yer liken to get inta ther metlulz I'd be a reck'nin ya git yerself the 6505. Fer it has all teh tones and shit required to play teh hevy metlulz.
Quote by FearMyLightning
If yer liken to get inta ther metlulz I'd be a reck'nin ya git yerself the 6505. Fer it has all teh tones and shit required to play teh hevy metlulz.

Based on this description alone I feel obliged to buy it. I am also not being sarcastic; I feel this is a necessary statement as implied tone is too implied. When the employee will undoubtedly try to sell me something three times outside my price range, I shall show him this post; nuff said I guess.

Any pedal recommendations?
Quote by Kenjisan231
Any pedal recommendations?

6505's (in my opinion) NEED a tubescreamer to boost it. You can spend anywhere from $20 to $200 on a tubescreamer clone, but just find something in that genre (Digitech Bad Monkey, Boss SD-1, Hardwire CM-2, etc etc, or God forbid an actual Ibanez Tubescreamer).

And also, just to echo whats been said before, get the 6505. Valvekings can be good with some mods, but a 6505 will be great for metal out of the box.

If you want other pedals, Boss and TC Electronic both make awesome delay pedals. I personally don't use chorus anymore so someone else will have to suggest a chorus pedal.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
I own a Peavey Valveking 212 myself and while it has beautiful sounding cleans, its gain channel is a little, meh. You're going to have to mod it.
Quote by souperman08
6505's (in my opinion) NEED a tubescreamer to boost it. You can spend anywhere from $20 to $200 on a tubescreamer clone, but just find something in that genre (Digitech Bad Monkey, Boss SD-1, Hardwire CM-2, etc etc, or God forbid an actual Ibanez Tubescreamer).

And also, just to echo whats been said before, get the 6505. Valvekings can be good with some mods, but a 6505 will be great for metal out of the box.

If you want other pedals, Boss and TC Electronic both make awesome delay pedals. I personally don't use chorus anymore so someone else will have to suggest a chorus pedal.

I actually have a tube screamer. Its an old Ibanez TS-7 that I received as a gift; it was a used model so I don't know how much I can tell you about it. I use it now as a booster for the distortion on my Vox VT 40. I didn't know about the modding aspect about the valvekings, so I will go with the 6505.
TS-7 will work just fine for boosting that amp. To boost it you'll want your gain all the way down, tone at noon, and level all the way up. Just gives the amp a little more punch.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
For delay, it depends what you want out of it. If you want a lot of features and don't mind a slightly sterile sound, I'd advise a Boss DD-3 or DD-7 (depending on your budget). If you don't need as many features (hold function, etc.) and want analog, I'd say go for the Electro Harmonix Memory Toy (I havn't tried their other models and therefore can't vouch for them). I have both and I generally only use the EHX because of how nice it sounds compared to the Boss. Also, the EHX is a bit cheaper, but max delay is only about half a second.

Of course, if you have unlimited ducats, go for some fancy boutique thing, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Quote by &baconstrips
For delay, it depends what you want out of it. If you want a lot of features and don't mind a slightly sterile sound, I'd advise a Boss DD-3 or DD-7 (depending on your budget). If you don't need as many features (hold function, etc.) and want analog, I'd say go for the Electro Harmonix Memory Toy (I havn't tried their other models and therefore can't vouch for them). I have both and I generally only use the EHX because of how nice it sounds compared to the Boss. Also, the EHX is a bit cheaper, but max delay is only about half a second.

Of course, if you have unlimited ducats, go for some fancy boutique thing, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I really only use delay for lead solo stuff, just for ambiance really. Extra features aren't bad, I'm always looking to try new things, I just don't know that much about pedals.
Quote by kylendm
TS-7 will work just fine for boosting that amp. To boost it you'll want your gain all the way down, tone at noon, and level all the way up. Just gives the amp a little more punch.

This is what I usually do, although I never had much of an idea on what to do with the tone knob. Thanks for the tip.
Those are the only pedals I'm familiar with when it comes to delay. I'd go for EHX in your situation but I think it would be good idea to wait and see what other people say about other pedals like the line 6 echo park, etc. If you want to be really cheap, I heard you can hack a $20 Danelectro Fab Echo to be fairly useful with an alright sound.
There's better options than the Valveking these days, coming from one who owns the VK112.

What styles of music do you play? The VT40+ isn't too bad of an amp.

If you don't know what you want, then just keep saving until you can afford something really nice.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by &baconstrips
Those are the only pedals I'm familiar with when it comes to delay. I'd go for EHX in your situation but I think it would be good idea to wait and see what other people say about other pedals like the line 6 echo park, etc. If you want to be really cheap, I heard you can hack a $20 Danelectro Fab Echo to be fairly useful with an alright sound.

I looked up the EHX and watched some youtube Videos and I really like the way it sounds. The price is fine. Its more of an issue of how much money is available. $100 for a pedal is fine, upwards of that is fine as well. I don't use a chorus that much, but I use delay a lot. All the other effects on modeling amps are cool, but the only ones I use consistently are chorus and delay. I'll wait on the Chorus for now and just go for a nicer delay pedal.
Quote by Raijouta
There's better options than the Valveking these days, coming from one who owns the VK112.

What styles of music do you play? The VT40+ isn't too bad of an amp.

If you don't know what you want, then just keep saving until you can afford something really nice.

I think like most guitar players, I play a bit of everything. I gravitate towards modern rock and modern metal because that's what I enjoy playing, but I play classic rock and blues and other styles for variety; it just depends what I feel like playing that day. I understand though its hard sometimes to expect an amp to play every style perfectly.

Since I play hard rock the most, it would be great if the amp did that well. For blues and classic rock, it doesn't have to be the best, but something decent would be great. I like the VT 40 for what it is, but I don't like the distortion models on it so much.
The 6505 doesn't have the best of cleans, but they're not as bad as everyone makes it out to be though.

Just add a Chorus and a Delay and it'll be fine.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100