Page 1 of 3
Just wanted to see how peoples experiances with tinnitus has affected their hearing.

I got tinnitus over a year ago when I had a very noisy week of going out partying, playing guitar loudly and using headphones very loudly. I then went to a motorhead gig and my ears finally caved in after a year of not taking care of em. I had very loud ringing which died down substantially after a few days, but since then it's never been quite silent.

The first week afterwards was a nightmare. I would constantly put my fingers in my ears to check it and it worried me to no end. At one point, I honestly thought my life was over. Skip to a few weeks later and it didn't even bother me, infact, I actually grew a liking to it as if somehow, it was a good reminder of gauging volume around me.

Whenever I wake up, my ears seem absolutely fine, then 10-30 minutes later I hear a slight buzz. The majority of the day I don't hear it at all. It usually shows up when I pay attention or if I'm in absolute silence. The more I concentrate the louder it is.

My hearing has massively improved over the year I feel. I can listen to my tv at half the volume I used to no problem. I'm also able to distinguish different instruments in songs easier with more clarity and have a greaty awareness of sound around me. I have no idea why my hearing feels like it's improved though.

I'm also abit worried about the future because I'm aware that as you age, tinnitus gets worst and so does your hearing, but I seem to be experiancing the opposite at the minute. Not sure how long its gonna last till I move to the next stage.

Anyways, whats your tinnitus experiance pit?
I use ear plugs. There's not really an excuse for not using them. It's just plain stupidity.
How do you get to sleep?
Hahahahahahahahahah hahahaha har har har
Worst part is when you're trying to sleep, and everything around you is silent. It seems so much louder and can keep me up for a while.
Steam /PSN/Most Accounts - rjdusa
SCII: rjdusa :351
Quote by McTodd
How do you get to sleep?

The first few weeks were difficult then as soon as I got used to it, I was fine. You learn to just ignore it and your brain quickly just blocks it out, as if it never existed.
I can't say I've ever had Tinnitus, but I have had temporary loss of hearing.

It was my own fault, and a stupid decision. I used to drive around in a 500hp Mustang with open headers, and on a few occasions I'd hear a deafening ringing like when you tense your jaw. The ringing lasted a few days once, but it went away.

Those were my "stupid 19-year old" days. Now I drive a nice quiet luxury car and keep the volume down on everything. Even when I had my half-stack, I never had the volume higher than 1/10. I was also an advocate for hearing protection, solenoid mufflers, and guarding near loud equipment where I used to work.

Hearing protection is as important as eye protection.
Quote by VillainousLatin
wait.. I hear a light buzzing if it's completely silence... is that tinnitus?

O_O

lolnah.. probably not

>_>

You'll always hear something if it's silent enough... your body makes sounds. You'll hear blood moving around and such.
I had that subtle ringing in my ears for 4 years now but last week after band practice it got worse. I hear it every time when I'm silent. My hearing has declined very noticeably It's hard to have a conversation with people if there's a background noise.
Now I use earplugs, but the damage has been done, I hope I won't get worse and drive me crazy.
apparently, a guy stabbed himself to death because of tinnitus.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by ChucklesMginty
I use earplugs, even for stuff most people wouldn't bother with. But I'm also playing in bands and hearing loud music about 10 times a week...

I get a lot of ringing, but I actually have really sensitive ears. Everything sounds too trebly to me, things actually sound way better with (proper) earplugs.

Well that's an extreme case. In most cases, it's as simple as the person went to a gig without them.
I've got to get some earplugs soon, I feel like I'm on the line between "everything went better than expected" and "FFFFUUUU-"
I think I have it mildly, I'm going to start wearing ear plugs before it gets worse I think.

tinnitus ruins camping. instead of hearing blissful silence at night, all i get is SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Apparently had it for a long time but I slept in big cities a big part of my life so it was something I am used to.
#25 for top 100 UGer of 2009
UG's 2nd Funniest UGer and 3rd most likely to be a Serial Killer of 2009, 2nd of 2011
My experience?

'EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee'
I've got a mild case of it. Quiet enough to ignore most of the time and it doesn't ruin my sleeping.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
if you bite down hard enough you can get it but then it goes away
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
I've had it as long as I can remember. I don't like it one bit.
And I don't know if this is just me, but when I yawn, I go almost completely deaf.
FORZA CATANIA
Quote by jonathan666666
I've had it as long as I can remember. I don't like it one bit.
And I don't know if this is just me, but when I yawn, I go almost completely deaf.

i know this isn't really something to five about but...in terms of pure mutality...

Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
Well, I've had it as long as I could remember (probably since I was very little), so I'm used to it. However, I still need to have constant noise... silence is quite bothersome. As a result, I always have a fan going when I'm in bed.

Quote by VillainousLatin
wait.. I hear a light buzzing if it's completely silence... is that tinnitus?

O_O

lolnah.. probably not

>_>

Definitely. There's different variations of tinnitus, and one of them is indeed a light buzzing noise.
Last edited by nincompoop at Nov 27, 2011,
I was at the Black Label Society/Judas Priest show a week ago and was right next to a huge speaker and my right ear was completely blown out and I couldn't hear for about 3 days out of it. There was a ringing noise as well. Thankfully, it went away a few days later. I had completely forgotten to throw my earplugs in my pocket before leaving, and I probably should have set some sort of reminder to do that. It's all good now though, but I won't be forgetting them again haha.
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
I've always wondered how rock stars like Lemmy/Ozzy have managed to abuse their ears (and bodies) for so long. I know they both have tinnitus, but I wonder how bad it is?

Btw, does anyone else get that 2-10 minute period per week when the ringing decides to go haywire and gets really loud?
Had it for most of my life. Usually it's just a faint ringing, and sometimes it sparks up and deafens my ear for a couple seconds. I've always found it enjoyable though.
'sup

http://www.simplynoise.com/

Only thing I have is slight hearing loss on my right ear- maybe because of that I'm always diligent in protecting my ears from further deterioration. I still use above site as a sleep aid though, helps my mind 'unfocus'.
I can't really hear people when they talk to me, so I sound like a dumbass constantly asking them to repeat what they said. It's a constant ringing. I want to get rid of it.
Quote by Somekid94
I can't really hear people when they talk to me, so I sound like a dumbass constantly asking them to repeat what they said. It's a constant ringing. I want to get rid of it.

Hold on brother. We are living in interesting times. Who knows, maybe the fix will get invented in our lifetimes!

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
I hear a high pitched whine in my ears constantly when it's silent. Esp. if I'm wearing earplugs or it's night time. Is that tinnitus? It's not very loud, but it's definitely noticeable at night. I've never had an external reason for tinnitus though, no loud noises.
Quote by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
I had it a few times thankfully only for a small time...I'd lay in bed an just keep hearing a quiet ring while everything else was silent...i didn't know what was causing it for a long time and while it was random until I read online. now i am a lot smarter about loud noises.
I have been having it for 2 years now, but i learned to ignore it very soon after i got it. If you have trouble of sleeping because of tinnitus put the radio on on a low volume BETWEEN STATIONS ( So all the radio fuzz covers your tinnitus)
Quote by PaulyVengeance
My experience?

'EEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEE'

Sounds about right.

Quote by jani92jani
I have been having it for 2 years now, but i learned to ignore it very soon after i got it. If you have trouble of sleeping because of tinnitus put the radio on on a low volume BETWEEN STATIONS ( So all the radio fuzz covers your tinnitus)

Might try this during vacations, but I doubt my roommate would appreciate it.
Steam /PSN/Most Accounts - rjdusa
SCII: rjdusa :351
Last edited by rjdusa at Nov 27, 2011,
So is a high pitched whining in the ears at night/during silence tinnitus?
Quote by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
Quote by OfCourseNot
So is a high pitched whining in the ears at night/during silence tinnitus?

ye High pitched sound or fuzz or both. Some people have it louder than others, but the thing is that if you listen to it, it only gets louder.
Page 1 of 3