Page 1 of 2
I need recommendations on pick gauges. I use 54-10 strings and Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks. Im wondering, what gauge should I jump to? It seems like it's much easier to play each time I raise the gauge. so what should I start with? I was considering 2mm, but I'm not sure if that would be perfect or not.
Machine F**king Head \m/
I'll get in early and say go try Jazz III's. You'll get so many people suggesting them, and with good reason, they are great picks.
I've seen them many times but have never actually considered getting them
Machine F**king Head \m/
Its whatever feels right, and SOUNDS right to your ears bro.

But, i didn't like heavier picks as much because i would break strings more often. i usually never go past 1.5 and it really depends on the type of metal your playing

Jazz III picks are mostly used for shredding.
Thats my .02

1989-1994 Peavey guitars
Try 'em. I'm not super fond of the really small ones, but the larger regular sized ones are fantastic. It might seem silly, but I can't play as well with any other pick.
Thanks dude I'll be sure to check them out. I just need new picks because I can do everything fine except maintaining consistency when playing tremolo picked riffs at high tempos. I'm trying to find a pick that can help me with my accuracy
Machine F**king Head \m/
I use jazz three's. If you need accuracy, and aren't jumping around like barney on crank, then those are the picks you want.
Thats my .02

1989-1994 Peavey guitars
Definitely Jazz III's.
Guitars
Washburn A20V 1981
Stagg SG300
BC Rich DLXJRVO
Ibanez Iceman
Jackson King V
Epiphone Special II
Epiphone Embassy IV
Martin D-16RGT
Ibanez EW20WNE
So just Jazz III's, there's no special gauge or something?
Machine F**king Head \m/
I have been using dunlop tortex sharps lately and I really like them. I usually use .73 or .88. I have used jazz III's before, they were pretty nice. I might try them again actually and see which ones I like more.
Nope. There's a few different styles though. There's the really small ones, regular sized ones, ultex and the Eric Johnson ones. I tend to use just he regular sized ones myself.
Quote by TechMetal
Thanks dude I'll be sure to check them out. I just need new picks because I can do everything fine except maintaining consistency when playing tremolo picked riffs at high tempos. I'm trying to find a pick that can help me with my accuracy

What you need is just a thicker pick. With the Jazz picks you'll need to find a totally new technique to hold the pick because it's so much smaller. If you feel good with the size you have, try a thicker one, or one with grip. I'm using 'Brain' 1.14, and before that I used 1.14 Dunlops, and there really is a major difference, just because the brain has a grip. So it might not even be the thickness that is wrong, just go and try 'em out.
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
Depends on the metal. Metallica - Heavy picks from 1.2 to 1.5mm for me. Sylosis or any other sweeping metal I go for thin picks 0.6-0.8mm so I can get the trips in.
Quote by telemetal
I'll get in early and say go try Jazz III's. You'll get so many people suggesting them, and with good reason, they are great picks.

This. I loved them, and they are fantastic picks! I've dropped them in favor of Dunlop Tortex III .88's, but I still have a lot of praise for the Jazz III
I mainly use Tortex Dunlop picks, either 1.14 or 2mm. I want to try Jazz IIIs though.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
I play stuff like Machine Head and Chimaira. Not really sweeping crazy technical stuff
Machine F**king Head \m/
Check out V-Picks. Nice thick picks. Don't slip out of your fingers. Different styles/pointedness/thickness to choose from.
For metal playing, I currently use the Psyhco Shredder. 5.85mm thick. Extremely pointy. Takes some time to get used to, but it's an amazing pick.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
I use the black Tortex Jazz IIIs. Literally can't play with anything else since I started using them, everything else feels weird now. They bring teh br00tz.

I've always wanted to try those V-Picks, but for the price you pay for one and the frequency with which I lose picks, I'd be out some serious money very quickly
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I've always wanted to try those V-Picks, but for the price you pay for one and the frequency with which I lose picks, I'd be out some serious money very quickly

Definetely have to keep a better watch over them when you put them somewhere. They're not the picks you'd start throwing into the crowd at the end of your set.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
mind u, jazz III's are a curse. once u get used to them, its hard to use a normal pick

*EDIT* dunlop ultex sharps are great. they're very sharp with good attack, i use em in 1mm
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Last edited by EspTro at Nov 27, 2011,
The small, sharp picks are good for accurate lead playing but my take practice for playing very fast rhythm.
Somewhat similar to the Jazz III, I use Clayton Spikes, sharp teardrop shape. They make them in somewhat thin sizes from .56 to .80, and are definitely great for shredding at a very good price. My only gripe about them is that they don't make them in a thicker size (1.0-1.5 would offer very little flex).
Gear
Taylor 214CE
PRS SE 245, PRS Tremonti Custom
Carvin V3 short stack
Pedals
AMT R2|Morley Mark Tremonti Wah|Mojo Hand Rook|MXR Black Label Chorus|Source Audio EQ|TC-E Flashback, Hall of Fame & Vortex|VFE Enterprise|Way Huge Swollen Pickle
I'm thirding V-picks. I find that you move your hand less with thicker picks. I personally LOVE their rounded picks. They make chords feel amazing.
Maximum volume yields maximum goats.
Quote by Quinlan
I'm thirding V-picks. I find that you move your hand less with thicker picks. I personally LOVE their rounded picks. They make chords feel amazing.

If you also like a pointy pick for playing lead, check out the Dimension. Pointed on one side, and the other two are rounded.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by Koshman32
Check out V-Picks. Nice thick picks. Don't slip out of your fingers. Different styles/pointedness/thickness to choose from.
For metal playing, I currently use the Psyhco Shredder. 5.85mm thick. Extremely pointy. Takes some time to get used to, but it's an amazing pick.

WHAT THE **** THOSE THINGS ARE HALF A CM THICK

I like Jazz 3's
Have you tried Ice Picks? They're these all metal picks you can get from GC. They seem like the kinda thing that would do metal really well.

Edit: Unless you use .20 gauge strings those Psycho Shredder picks will break strings almost instantly.
Last edited by FearMyLightning at Nov 27, 2011,
FearMyLightning are you friggin serious? Acrylic breaking through nickel wrapped steel. What a noob!
Last edited by Sputnik1 at Nov 27, 2011,
The 1.5 mm dunlops with the max grip work great for me. Just saying.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by Sputnik1
FearMyLightning are you friggin serious? Acrylic breaking through nickel wrapped steel. What a noob!

If it's .5 cm thick and you pick like a man then yeah it will break through.
I demand a locked, stickied thread, entitled: X for Metal?
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Jazz IIIs are awesome, I've played with them for 4 years now. Also bought a couple of Dava picks recently, pretty awesome stuff, too.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by FearMyLightning
If it's .5 cm thick and you pick like a man then yeah it will break through.

I use them. I pick like a man. Haven't broken a string in a long time
The point isn't the part that's 5.85mm thick. It gets pretty thin. I've used a lot of different V Picks before, and this one was the hardest to get used to because of the shape and how fast it became thin. Found it hard to get a good grip on it. But after playing it for a while, anything else is so uncomfortable.

EDIT: and those all metal Ice Picks you suggested are pretty bad. I got one in a pack of sample picks when I was first starting to play. Felt weird, made a weird noise against the strings, and scratched the guitar pretty easily.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Last edited by Koshman32 at Nov 28, 2011,
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Any pointed pick.

Some people like thicker ones. I am kind of meh on them. Yes they don't wear down fast but I dunno. I only use thick picks for bass.

With a thinner pick it lets you be more versatile. For accuracy I choke up on the tip and it won't flex as much. Or you can back off the tip and it will be more flexible. Downside is they wear down quick.

I like dunlop gator grips and dunlop stubbies.
Quote by Koshman32

EDIT: and those all metal Ice Picks you suggested are pretty bad. I got one in a pack of sample picks when I was first starting to play. Felt weird, made a weird noise against the strings, and scratched the guitar pretty easily.

All metal picks make that noise, and Eddie Van Halen used metal picks if I remember right.
I really like Dunlop's pitch black jazz picks (i use 1.0mm). They dont fell plastic, they feel great against strings. And theyre small, your thumb alone could probably cover 70% of it. I dont know, putting in my opinion..
ESP LTD m400
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ Sanpera I
Dunlop Crybaby Wah pedal
ISP Decimator

"Dream big, and dare to fail. I dare you to do that." - James Hetfield, HoF Speech, 09
Red Jazz III's are my pick of choice, but if I need a backup, I'd go with the Ultex Sharp 1.2mm. I really like the feel of thicker picks, and the sharp tip is awesome for accuracy.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Page 1 of 2