I dont get it.

Most high gain amp tends to have nicer lead and gain, but not-that-good cleans. However, they usually have shitloads of watts(100 and over), wich would increase the clean headroom, so it make them harder to clip, and so distort.

...? i'm lost here.
its because they want preamp gain not power amp clipping and overdrive. wattage is determined by the power sections, so high wattage = high headroom. in todays world, its amlost impossible to overdrive a 100 watt head. nobody plays like pete townsend anymore.

secondly, with all that headroom and wattage comes a different response, bass, and power to really get that chugging, thumping, gut wrenching drive that everyone likes. a small wattage amp may be putting out gain but it will never push the same air with the same bass and response that a big amp will.

basically, it gves havy music the balls. small amps, not much balls.

...and you will also notice most classic rock amps have 1-3 preamp tubes of varying types (12au7s, 12at7s, 12ax7s, etc etc). high gain amps generally have 3-6 12ax7s (they have the most gain). its all about preamp distortion.
Last edited by ikey_ at Nov 27, 2011,
What amps are you referring to nick? Peavey XXX has beautiful cleans as do several other high gain amps that I know.
Quote by Sputnik1
What amps are you referring to nick? Peavey XXX has beautiful cleans as do several other high gain amps that I know.

its not peronal experience, its just something i observed troug reviews.
yeah that is true. depends on the brand. some amps generally are just not used for old classic rock or rockability. nobody uses a splawn for country. but some higher gain amps sound great clean...for example, an SLO.
Well when you said "most" high gain amps I wanted to know what you meant because its quite a load of bullocks. Unless you only looked at single channel amps or say the 5150 that is known to have only usable cleans.
Quote by n1ckn1ce
I dont get it.

what don't ya get?

Quote by n1ckn1ce
Most high gain amp tends to have nicer lead and gain,

yuppers, that is why they're called 'high gain'

Quote by n1ckn1ce
but not-that-good cleans.

we must have a different idea of what 'good cleans' means cuz most high gain amps i know of have headroom for days and tend to have a pleasantly compressed clean tone that has quite a bit of punch. i find i usually have to roll back my low end on most 'high gain' amps when i want a clean tone or it gets too 'boomy'. this is a bit of an over-generalization but this is my experience.

Quote by n1ckn1ce
However, they usually have shitloads of watts(100 and over), wich would increase the clean headroom,

yeah, most high gain amps tend to have a fairly hefty power section. high gain amps tend to derive most their tone from the preamp and actually want a very clean power section (as the crossover distortion of the power section tends to muddy up the mix and you lose all those pretty harmonics from the preamp in the mud of the power amp)
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
that's because most people reviewing high gain amps are used to low wattage cleans.

low wattage cleans are not clean.

a 100 watt amp will give you real cleans that are actually clean.

generally people that are used to slightly compressed dirty cleans don't like it.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
high gain amps usually have massive transformers too - something you won't usually find in the smaller amps.

a lot of the great high gain amps that pop into my mind have great clean channels

Quote by ikey_
yeah that is true. depends on the brand. some amps generally are just not used for old classic rock or rockability. nobody uses a splawn for country. but some higher gain amps sound great clean...for example, an SLO.

Colin617 used a Splawn and he plays with country bands like Taylor Swift. I believe it was a Splawn Super Stock - which is the lower gained amp in their stable. Just FYI
ok well im just sayin. generally if your buying a splawn your not in the market for a country amp.

technically you could probably rig any amp to play anything if you tried hard enough and threw enough money at it.
Honestly, there are very few high gain amps I can think of, with dedicated clean channels, that have poor clean tones. Dunno what amps you're looking at if you say most of them have bad cleans.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by ikey_
ok well im just sayin. generally if your buying a splawn your not in the market for a country amp.

technically you could probably rig any amp to play anything if you tried hard enough and threw enough money at it.

I JUST LIKE THAT PICTURE.

honestly only the slo copied amps have weaker clean channels.
actually i was on youtube just about 2 days ago and heard guys rocking SLOs with a prety nice classic rock blues tone. sounded awesome (maybe thats why clapton has used em?)

honestly i think SLOs are a bit 80s hair metal for me. but, it is quality tone if thats what your going for.

side note - taylor is rocking out to some nice equipment. i see that Bad Cat amp in the back. i wonder if she knows a darn thing about guitar tech or somebody else selects these things.
Quote by MatrixClaw
Honestly, there are very few high gain amps I can think of, with dedicated clean channels, that have poor clean tones. Dunno what amps you're looking at if you say most of them have bad cleans.

i wouldn't say a lot of them have amazing cleans either, though.

i mean- i have no time for the tgp crowd (and similar types) who say that high gain amps suck or whatever, but i equally well have no time for metallers who say a 5150 or something like that has great cleans...

i'm not saying high gainers don;t have decent, or even quite good clean channels- many do.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ from what I've seen from her she know her gear pretty well

aw man she just went off the hotness chart
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i wouldn't say a lot of them have amazing cleans either, though.

i mean- i have no time for the tgp crowd (and similar types) who say that high gain amps suck or whatever, but i equally well have no time for metallers who say a 5150 or something like that has great cleans...

i'm not saying high gainers don;t have decent, or even quite good clean channels- many do.

aw man she just went off the hotness chart

I think this is the first post from you that I've disagreed with you. On both points.
I'm not even sure what amps are supposed to has teh cleans except the twin reverb?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I think this is the first post from you that I've disagreed with you. On both points.

i don't mean they can't have good cleans- i'm just saying lower gain amps aimed at cleans tend to have better (granted that often goes hand-in-hand with open-backed cabs with speakers more aimed at cleans).

Also i mean TS increased in hotness (sorry for the ambiguity)

Quote by AcousticMirror
I'm not even sure what amps are supposed to has teh cleans except the twin reverb?

yeah something like that
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The cleans on the mark IV and renegade are pretty good to me. Maybe not as good as a twin reverb, or an AC30, but pretty damn good.

I've still never had a chance to play a lone star. Kinda bummed about that, actually.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes