How do people who scream in metal / metal-core bands handle the stress it puts on their throat?

Is their a proper technique ? Even if I just make a screaming/growl voice for like 30 seconds, I can feel it hurt. How the hell can people do that for 2 hours straight?

Is it just a lot of tea and honey or something?
Listen to jazz, it'll make you a better guitar player.

Whatever you do, stay creative
They scream from their gut. Not their throat.

edit: as in they push with their gut, they don't stress their throat
Last edited by Godsmack_IV at Nov 27, 2011,
its a technique you have to learn. I have no idea how to do it though.
yeah there are some techniques for it.
Forums --> Musician Talk --> Vocals
there you will find a ton of resources to help your screaming
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
Quote by Lugnaz987
How do people who scream in metal / metal-core bands handle the stress it puts on their throat?

Is their a proper technique ? Even if I just make a screaming/growl voice for like 30 seconds, I can feel it hurt. How the hell can people do that for 2 hours straight?

Is it just a lot of tea and honey or something?

Yes, there is technique to keep the strain off the throat...mainly using your diaphragm correctly.

Also, tea and honey are nice, but shouldn't be any more necessary for screamers than it is for singers if you do it right.
Use their stomach and diapragm (spelling). And I know enough of the screamers that go on tour don't speak all day until their show in the evening, so they don't massacre their throats.
I'm not trying to start screaming and growling.. I was just wondering..
It might be a stupider question then I thought
Listen to jazz, it'll make you a better guitar player.

Whatever you do, stay creative
I dunno about that stuff but the real way to scream is easy. Sound like you're about to murder someone , get really drunk etc.

http://youtu.be/4E4CTA9KrZ8?t=1m18s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bIQCYoImaI
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Nov 27, 2011,
You push air out of your diaphragm, kinda like an angry sigh, if you feel a lot of vibration in your throat, you're doing it wrong.
you're a stone fox
Quote by Darkness in Zero
Might be a "stupider" comment then you thought

"Stupid" is the only two syllable English word that uses the "-er" rather than the "more" prefix. "Stupider" is fine.

Wow, I'm a dick. It's just an English teacher told me once after I made the same mistake
Quote by danielh123.
"Stupid" is the only two syllable English word that uses the "-er" rather than the "more" prefix. "Stupider" is fine.

Wow, I'm a dick. It's just an English teacher told me once after I made the same mistake

did that teacher get their degree from an online school they found in the back of a comic book?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Jon777
There's a growling thread in the metal forum somewhere; you might want to check that out.

i got it covered, already linked him there.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
did that teacher get their degree from an online school they found in the back of a comic book?

It's only wiki, but here.

Unless you're making fun of the assertion that it's the only one, in which case it's worth pointing out she meant the only one in wide use, as it was to be used as a very general rule when teaching English as a foreign language. Anywho, google it bro!
Last edited by danielh123. at Nov 27, 2011,
Quote by danielh123.
Unless you're making fun of the assertion that it's the only one, in which case it's worth pointing out she meant the only one in wide use, as it was to be used as a very general rule when teaching English as a foreign language.

there are a ton of others in wide use. you wouldn't say "that's more catchy than that Kreayshawn song" or "centipedes are even more creepy than spiders," now would you?
Quote by theogonia777
i got it covered, already linked him there.

Yeah man.

You got it covered.

ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
Quote by theogonia777
there are a ton of others in wide use. you wouldn't say "that's more catchy than that Kreayshawn song" or "centipedes are even more creepy than spiders," now would you?

The first is casual and bordering on a colloquialism, I don't think it'd be good form to teach that to someone who's learning English as a foreign language. The second is fair enough, I'll email her at once to point out her idiocy
Most screamers in the 'softer' genres (metalcore mostly, post-hardcore) use a technique called fry screaming which uses the vocal fry range to create distortion that sounds extremely loud when paired with music, but in reality is barely louder than speaking volume.
Screamers in the 'harder' genres (some heavier metalcore, deathcore, 'real' hardcore, death metal, and black metal) will use their false vocal cords to create distortion on top of their normal vocal tone to make the scream. The false cords are thick mucous membranes that lie just above the actual vocal cords to protect them from damage. They create pure distortion and when surgically removed, can regenerate completely within months. Also at play in both of these styles are breath support, diaphragmatic breathing, and making sure not to put undue stress on the throat/true vocal cords.
Quote by danielh123.
The first is casual and bordering on a colloquialism, I don't think it'd be good form to teach that to someone who's learning English as a foreign language. The second is fair enough, I'll email her at once to point out her idiocy
This guy is from England, I trust that he knows his English.