Hey folks,

So I've got this slab of mahogany that is 65mm thick, so thick enough to build a Les Paul and not need a maple cap.

My question is, how noticeably different will it sound with no maple top???

I thought I would ask this before I planed 20mm off it as mahogany is relatively scarce/ expensive for me to get, so I don't want to waste it, but I don't want a odd sounding LP.

I guess its going to be pretty dark sounding without the maple but how muchso is what I'm unsure on- Peoples experience on this will be most appreciated.

The wood in question, wiped down with spirits:
it will have a warmer sound than a vintage les paul but not much different than a modern one.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
There's plenty of guitars with solid mahogany bodies (Flying V, Explorer, SG) and they all sound fine. If you want hands on experience track down a plain basic LP Studio, some of them came without a maple cap but I can't remember the actual model.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
I like the timber...........have no problems with it not having a maple cap. But if you build this les paul shape from the solid timber........how you gonna route the cable channels??
These are usually done before the cap goes on........just asking.
thank ye all kindly for the replies.
I would love to be able to breeze into a music store and try out a basic LP studio, trouble is, I'd have to drive 5 hours to get to one! and then I'd be trying out a right handed one upside down. (not how I'm used to playing) yeah im a lefty.

dsss - yeah that has occurred to me, its been on my mind the last few days, other than a very long drill bit, going in where the jack is, all the way up to toggle switch; I don't have any better ideas.

at this stage I'm thinking I'll get a cap, can't afford figured maple, but its going to make life much easier using a cap.

With any luck I'll find some nice wood in the shed at home, we have lots of native hardwoods. If I don't I'll drop $90 on a basic maple top.
You don't need to route under a cap to run your wires. Plenty of guitars don't have caps and they still get it done. You can get a really long drill bit and just drill holes from route to route.
you make it sound easy. It isn't. Well its not super difficult, but not the simplest way to do things, with the tools I have.
If I use a cap I can do some weight relief chambering too which is probably not a bad idea.
$90 for regular maple?? I guess importing things into New Zealand is pretty expensive then.. Assuming I didn't have the maple laying around (which I do) and had to go out and buy it, I could get a piece big enough at a .5" thick easily for under $20.

If you can find something nice that's native, go for it. The cap isn't load bearing so you could use pretty much anything that looks decent.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]