Ok, first off, let me say past the trolls these forums have been a great read and wealth of knowledge.

Secondly I apologize if this question is a common known fact. This is actually my first post, and I hope everyone will take it easy on me.

So, my question is:

If you pick a note (lets say 12th fret high E) it is just the one note. When I hammer on the 12th fret from an open note on my high E (or any string for that matter) I get a different sound. I realize that it comes from the string vibrating ahead of my finger to the nut, as well as past it, from my finger to the bridge.

What is that called? Is there any technique involved with getting these (for a lack of a better word) robotic overtones? Any artists who use alot of this? Any other resources would be appreciated as well. I find it an interesting sound.
an octave? lol

Edit: unless you mean just lightly tapping (not fretting at all) at the 12 in which case would be a harmonic
Last edited by menotbug at Nov 27, 2011,
nope not octave not harmonic (holding finger lightly on string)

you can do it anywhere. i was just using 12th fret as an example. its like... the note that would be plucked between your finger and the nut, not your finger and the bridge. if that helps
Quote by menotbug
an octave? lol

Edit: unless you mean just lightly tapping (not fretting at all) at the 12 in which case would be a harmonic

He means that when you tap anywhere on the neck, the space between your tapping finger and the nut/headstock rings along the space between your tapping finger and the bridge.

I have no idea if any guitarists actually use this in songs or if there's a name for it.
Quote by Miiiiks
He means that when you tap anywhere on the neck, the space between your tapping finger and the nut/headstock rings along the space between your tapping finger and the bridge.

I have no idea if any guitarists actually use this in songs or if there's a name for it.

yep this. it has an awesome sound in my opinion, I really want others input on it, because when I play to myself i do it and don't even try, and really want a better way to utilize it.
Quote by ForlornOutcast
yep this. it has an awesome sound in my opinion, I really want others input on it, because when I play to myself i do it and don't even try, and really want a better way to utilize it.

Actually: Angra - Heroes Of Sand. The intro is a double-hand tapping guitar. I'm fairly sure he isn't muting the back of the strings while tapping.
Quote by Miiiiks

ohh, but you can't really send that note through the amp can you? which renders it pretty pointless, unless he just wants to know if there's a name for it, which i don't think there is.

p.s. is there a way to send it through an amp without sending it through a microphone or installing a pickup in your neck? lol
i dont know if you can send it through an amp, but if you mic'ed the guitar acoustically, youd hear it.
While playing songs from the likes of Andy McKee and Justin King, that's actually annoying to have, trust me. Strangely, it seems that the harder you hit the string, the less prominent that other side it. I don't know why, but it usually works.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
Quote by menotbug
ohh, but you can't really send that note through the amp can you? which renders it pretty pointless, unless he just wants to know if there's a name for it, which i don't think there is.

p.s. is there a way to send it through an amp without sending it through a microphone or installing a pickup in your neck? lol

Well I can't hear them on lower frets. On higher ones there's a bit of it coming through. Think it's from around +10th fret.
well theres no pickup in the neck of the guitar, or the fretboard, so i dont think an amp would play the sound
I think it comes from the higher pitched strings yes. hammer on your high e 5th fret. I can hear it plain as day
I think I can hear it on that Angra song. Its like theres just a little bite to the notes. I guess thats probably all it would be worth. But I can hear it.
Last edited by ForlornOutcast at Nov 27, 2011,
Quote by ForlornOutcast
I think I can hear it on that Angra song. Its like theres just a little bit to the notes. I guess thats probably all it would be worth. But I can hear it.

Add to that, that he's using some weird setting that makes it sound like he's halfly slapping the strings meanwhile.
For future reference (obviously your excused here, being new), please don't double or triple post, where you leave multiple posts without anyone else saying anything, like you have done. Just click edit post on the bottom of it and add more. Like I said, it's fine right now, but just keep it in mind.

OT: No, the sound really doesn't come out unless you have a mic at that side of the neck, but it can still be heard in other cases, and I still don't think it has a name.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
ok im sorry. ill edit my posts. people responded as i was typing so i just replied. thank you.

so lets say if someone was recording... to minimize that, would they want to put a rubber band on the strings past the nut? is that how its done?
Last edited by ForlornOutcast at Nov 27, 2011,