I have a Peavey 3120 head and a Fender Showman 4x12 loaded with 16 ohm G12t75s. The singer in my band just bought an empty Marshall 1960 cab in which I will be putting my G12's. My buddy in another band offered to trade me his Mesa oversized with Vintage 30s straight up for the Marshall because he wants a matching cab with the other guitarist in his band...

Should I take the Mesa or keep the Marshall?
Keeping it heavy since '92.
Do you like the Showman's sound?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Biggest difference is the speakers. Do you know what V30's sound like?
The Showman is okay. The thing is that it's completely ruined. All the hardware is either busted or non-existent. The tolex has been painted over numerous times, and it's ugly as hell. It sounds okay, but I'd rather have a reasonably new cabinet.

As for R45VT, I do know what V30s sound like, yes. The only problem is that I borrowed my friends for a show once, with my 3120, and for some reason it was making this strange feedback for like split seconds at a time. I was running a Boss NS-2 and everything but I feel it didn't do anything...
In my experience, most high gain peavey amps prefer V30s and lately i think the tube theyve been putting in, especially the preamp arent lasing that long.

(i own a 6534+ and an older mesa 412. My buddy owns a 3120 and oeange ppc212. I have plenty of experience with his cab and amp)
Quote by Seanthesheep
In my experience, most high gain peavey amps prefer V30s and lately i think the tube theyve been putting in, especially the preamp arent lasing that long.

(i own a 6534+ and an older mesa 412. My buddy owns a 3120 and oeange ppc212. I have plenty of experience with his cab and amp)

Do you have any idea why I would have been getting that feedback? They are 8 ohm V30s and I had my head on 8ohm and was running my NS-2 in the effects loop...I just don't understand. I kind of would prefer the Mesa and V30s over the Marshall + G12T75s, but I don't want that nasty feedback.
Yea the 3120 and 6534 like V30s. And the 3120 sound great with an orange 212 which im pretty sure is considered brighter than a mesa 212 or 412 so its pretty versatile in that sense
What my question is, is why I got a strange feedback. I actually had my NS-2 in front of the amp, not in the effects loop.
Do you normally run the ns2 in the fxloop? Do you normally run an ns2 at all?

I think it may just be that you have a bad preamp tube. My buddys 3120 has a similar thing where it only feedbacks under very specific conditions but i an almost convinced its a microphonic preamp tube.
I run the NS-2 in front of my amp whenever I am using any other cab. I never tried it in the effect's loop with the Mesa, but I'm just going to stick with the Marshall for now I think.