Need to replace the tubes in my VK 212. It came with Ruby 6L6GC but I want to try a different tube and it is a fixed bias amp. What are some recommendations to get? Leaning towards JJ tubes but want other opinions to look at first. Thanks in advance.
Guitars:
Agile AL 3000
Alvarez AD60SC
Ibanez GRX20
Squire Standard Strat

Amp:
Peavey Valveking 2x12

Effects:
Digitech Grunge
Behringer Tube Overdrive TO800
Digitech GNX3

i thought losing my virginity would be better than that
SED 6L6's if you can afford them, otherwise JJ. JJ are the best value for money.
Buy a few different preamp tubes but make the base JJ ECC83S valves. Throw in a JJ ECC803 or two. Maybe a JAN Phillips, they can be had cheap. Try to pick up a few European NOS tubes; Mullard, Brimar from the UK, Amperex/Bugle Boy from Holland, Telefunken, Amperex, RFT from Germany, RCA, Sylvania, GE and others from the US, Tungsram from Hungary (basically a Mullard). Aussie valves are good too.
Just experiment.
Start with a JJ compliment of mostly ECC83S and just try different tubes in different positions as you pick up bargains. There's no rush, it's a long term game. But be aware, it can get addictive chasing down those rare and precious valves.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Nov 28, 2011,
I've got an old tube radio at the house that has an RCA and a Raytheon in it for preamp and another tube with no name on it. I was gonna try those in the 1st position when I get the new power tubes and see what i sounds like.
Guitars:
Agile AL 3000
Alvarez AD60SC
Ibanez GRX20
Squire Standard Strat

Amp:
Peavey Valveking 2x12

Effects:
Digitech Grunge
Behringer Tube Overdrive TO800
Digitech GNX3

i thought losing my virginity would be better than that
It would help to know what kind of tone you're going for. SED's are pretty awesome and imo worth the extra cash.
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals