OK, well, I started playing guitar at age 9 (currently 15)...but the problem is, I started out playing acoustic, which is great, I love acoustic, but my TRUE love is metal. So 6 years hasn't made much progress, and I'm watching guys with 2 years of experience smoke my skills.

I think I have enough experience to pick it up rather quickly, but I just don't know where to start....do I just start learning a bunch of songs? I need some help, and I think I came to the right place.

Thanks in advance,
-Zeb
learn a bunch of songs and try noodling around with techniques ppl you like use in metal
Quote by Weaponxclaws
Well, it depends on your definition of metal. You're 16 so I'm gonna go on a limb and guess it's not correct.

What...?

Take your elitist ass somewhere else and have fun sitting on internet forums for hours debating whether or not a song is "metal" or not. Oh and for the love of god, he stated he was 15. Not only are you pretentious, but your are clearly brain dead.

Now to get on topic;

Your best bet would be to try learning the songs which you really are fond of! Since you've been playing for 6 years you should easily adapt to the 'style' of how metal is generally played.

May take a while to get used to, although it really shouldn't be much different from the current skill level you are at now. Sooner or later, it will become second nature to you.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Quote by Mopy
What...?

Take your elitist ass somewhere else and have fun sitting on internet forums for hours debating whether or not a song is "metal" or not. Oh and for the love of god, he stated he was 15. Not only are you pretentious, but your are clearly brain dead.

Now to get on topic;

Your best bet would be to try learning the songs which you really are fond of! Since you've been playing for 6 years you should easily adapt to the 'style' of how metal is generally played.

May take a while to get used to, although it really shouldn't be much different from the current skill level you are at now. Sooner or later, it will become second nature to you.

I wasn't being elitist as much as I was trying to find out what he wants to learn. No offense, but most kids his age call metalcore and hard rock, "metal" and they are played differently than metal. It's the difference between power chords and open E strings and riffs.
No offense taken, I know some of the complete junk teenagers listen to these days. By metal, I mean Iron Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, etc...

So really I just need to practice a bunch of songs I like until I eventually get the hang of it? Would this also increase my speed over time? Because that isn't exactly where I would like it to be either.

Ive already knocked down enter sandman in my "breach" into metal, and now I am thinking aces high
Last edited by Zebco at Nov 28, 2011,
Maiden, Metallica and Megadeth and great bands play on guitar when you're getting into metal. Learning some songs by them will certainly get you on the right path. This can help build up your speed, but I find it's also useful to do some exercises. Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar by Troy Stetina is a great book for that. It might be a bit too advanced for you start with, so you could could check out some other books in his series which are appropriate for your level.
Quote by Zebco
No offense taken, I know some of the complete junk teenagers listen to these days. By metal, I mean Iron Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, etc...

So really I just need to practice a bunch of songs I like until I eventually get the hang of it? Would this also increase my speed over time? Because that isn't exactly where I would like it to be either.

Ive already knocked down enter sandman in my "breach" into metal, and now I am thinking aces high

NOW THATS REAL METAL

Try Aces high. Very very fast tempo song though. You are going to have to develop a good picking hand if you want to play maiden and metallica. Learning the fast alternate picking runs in the pre-chorus to aces high will be good practice. Make sure it's clean though and only practice it at speeds where you can play it perfect.
Quote by Zebco

Funny how things are, Aces High is actually the song that first made me want to pick up guitar. For Metal, I'd suggest you try some less famous bands as well, Metallica, Megadeth and Iron Maiden are good, and they definitely started me off, but the bands that shaped my playing were bands like Blind Guardian, Rhapsody Of Fire, Wolf, Kamelot, Sonata Arctica and Nightwish. If you want to get your picking hand up to speed, then I can't think of a better band than Hammerfall, where some of their songs require almost constant alternate picking, though I'm not sure if they'd be your style. Kamelot are another good one for rhythm, they often have complex little riffs that you should progress to after mastering Metallica. Wolf are good to listen to as well, they'd be more your thing, I'd imagine.

Check out all branches of Metal, Doom (Candlemass, My Dying Bride, Solitude Aeternus), Death, whether it be technical, melodic or traditional (Necrophagist, Kalmah, Obituary), Power (Blind Guardian, Sonata Arctica, Hammerfall), Thrash (Kreator, Exodus, Testament), Prog (Dream Theater, Andromeda, Symphony X), and many of the other subgenres. I reckon you'll take to the traditional bands very well, and if you wanna show those people who are better than you now who's boss, come back in about two years and blast out Champagne Bath, I promise you they'll be on their knees!
Quote by Weaponxclaws
I wasn't being elitist as much as I was trying to find out what he wants to learn. No offense, but most kids his age call metalcore and hard rock, "metal" and they are played differently than metal. It's the difference between power chords and open E strings and riffs.

that's ridiculous. The stuff people call "metalcore" (ie, killswitch) sounds like metal to me. palm muted riffs, power chords, fast double picking, harmonies, fast leads - it all applies to metal. All the techniques are the same.

to me, its just metal
Quote by vbshredder
that's ridiculous. The stuff people call "metalcore" (ie, killswitch) sounds like metal to me. palm muted riffs, power chords, fast double picking, harmonies, fast leads - it all applies to metal. All the techniques are the same.

to me, its just metal

I reckon that, in a way, it's because of all of those things that Metalcore is given a bad reputation. Personally, I find the near constant harmonies annoying, and I do think that it is rather generic, when I think of a metalcore song, I think chugging, screaming and 'pop singing', sometimes a Metalcore song might come off sounding like a parody of Thrash Metal, due to the extended use of all of these things. I reckon I could easily tell the difference between Metalcore and 'Real Metal', because of my experience in both, however, at the end of the day, you like what you like, and even though I would love it if everyone suddenly bowed down to Tony Kakko and Fabio Lione, it's not gonna happen.
My picking hand is fast enough...thats not my problem. Its the other one that doesnt like to do what I want it to. If my left hand was as coordinated as my right hand, we would be in business.

Anyway, I started on aces high, and I decided on the solo I would do a little finger tapping to get used to it.....and partially because my Jackson Dinky for some reason wont let me do pull-offs on the fist string :-/
Zebco, now that your definition of "metal" has been somewhat clarified, I would like to point out what is probably the obvious.
When I first started playing guitar( early 90's), I went and bought two tab books. 1. Had the first THREE Metallica albums, 2. Had the next TWO Metallica albums. Some players in my generation will probably remember the "Metallica Bibles" as they were unofficially known. I can attribute quite a lot of my knowledge and... "skill" to those two books. It was a free for all. I could learn the easy ones first, and go to the harder ones when I saw fit. Metallica has a very good technique in they're writing and will not steer you wrong in theory.
Are these tab books still available? I'm sure those would be accurate...nothing drives me more crazy than correcting tabs.